Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2015, 12:18   #1

Clergy live aboard

Hi, I am new to the forum and am wondering if there are any clergy live a boards out there. Hope so!
RIPreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 13:04   #2

Re: Clergy live aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPreacher View Post
Hi, I am new to the forum and am wondering if there are any clergy live a boards out there. Hope so!
Hi I am totally new here and am glad you posted this...because as I prepare to move off shore I have been wondering about Church when one cruises....

Have a great day!

M
BlueMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 13:12   #3

Nothing current, but there was an Episcopalian priest named Stan Easty who retired to a boat ("Nicodemus") on the US east coast in the 1980s and served as a temporary replacement minister for churches along the ICW, enjoying his cruising along the way.

That's about all I know, but maybe there are others here who remember him.
bill352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 13:19   #4

Thanks for the info.
RIPreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 13:21   #5

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

There appears to be a few "Ocean Ministries" floating around out there. Many appear to be a "write off" to an otherwise costly endeavor.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 20:56   #6

Boat: csy 37

I think I saw that occupation listed in the "Making a living while cruising" thread. Could be profitable if you run it right, and of course not taxable.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 06:01   #7

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Antares View Post
There appears to be a few "Ocean Ministries" floating around out there. Many appear to be a "write off" to an otherwise costly endeavor.
Ive known a few scammers, both ashore and afloat, but assume there must be some ligitimate live aboard clergy too...though certainly in the minority here in the tropics.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 16:31   #8
CRM

Boat: Robertson & Caine Leopard 46

A member of the clergy would be a very welcome addition to the live-aboards in the eastern Caribbean. My wife and I, and a few others, make a point of attending local churches on Sunday morning, but we are in the minority (an understatement). Several churches that we attended did not currently have a full-time pastor, so an itinerant clergyman should be able to fill in on many of the islands. Onboard Bible studies would also be welcome for some of us.
Old 16-06-2015, 17:43   #9
nes

Boat: Island Packet 445

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM View Post
A member of the clergy would be a very welcome addition to the live-aboards in the eastern Caribbean. My wife and I, and a few others, make a point of attending local churches on Sunday morning, but we are in the minority (an understatement). Several churches that we attended did not currently have a full-time pastor, so an itinerant clergyman should be able to fill in on many of the islands. Onboard Bible studies would also be welcome for some of us.

Another option is to find a church ashore that posts their sermons on line as audio files. For example:
Home - North Coast Church
https://stonebridgechurch.table.org/
etc.
Neil
nes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2015, 06:52   #10

Boat: Beneteau First 42

When we were traveling in the French Islands in the late '70's early '80's, we often saw a number of cruisers get together on Sunday's for impromptu services/bible study groups led by one or another lay churchman. I suspect a pastor would have been quite welcome and the same may hold true today. Moreover, a truely faithful pastor would have some advantages over the run of the mill cruisers. For example, he might be able to dispense with a dinghy in favor of simply walking, eh?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote