Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2013, 18:46   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Refit in Port Townsend, WA
Boat: 1984 Slocum 43
Posts: 419
Cleaning pots & pans

Just moving aboard our new-to-us sailboat and we're wondering what the best thing for cleaning pots and pans is. We've always used SOS pads, but I've read some stories that SOS pads aren't good for on boats. Is this restriction only for cleaning out on deck? Is it ok to use SOS pads in the galley?

Thanks!
__________________

__________________
Mycroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 18:56   #2
Senior Cruiser
 
rebel heart's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,190
Images: 3
Re: Cleaning pots & pans

For our stainless stuff 70% of the time we just use a standard dish scrub brush (bristles) with whatever dish soap. The other 30% of the time I snip a piece off a 3m scrub pad and use baking soda. That will get just about anything off.
__________________

__________________
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 19:16   #3
Senior Cruiser
 
roverhi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kona, Hawaii, Carlsbad, CA
Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Posts: 6,005
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Cleaning pots & pans

TEFLON!!!!!
__________________
Peter O.
'Ae'a Pearson 35
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 19:20   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Refit in Port Townsend, WA
Boat: 1984 Slocum 43
Posts: 419
Re: Cleaning pots & pans

I forgot to mention that one of our favorite dishes is old fashion pop corn popped in coconut oil. I wouldn't want to risk using Teflon for that. If SOS pads are verbotten, we'll definitely try the 3M scrubbies and baking soda RH. Thanks!
__________________
Mycroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 19:36   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Montegut LA.
Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Posts: 3,421
Re: Cleaning pots & pans

No teflon on our boats, just stainless and cast iron. We use brushs and dish soap, mostly Dawn. I do have some stainless steel wool I will use when I goof up and burn something!! LOL But have never used SOS pads on my boats ! tried once and learned a lesson!" no sos pads for a forgetful sailor !" Thats me for sure ! so no sos for us !!
__________________
Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 19:44   #6
Registered User
 
john540's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Paradise Cay
Boat: Hylas 47
Posts: 167
Scrubbing rock salt on a hot stainless pan gets tough stains out
__________________
john540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 20:12   #7
Senior Cruiser
 
rebel heart's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,190
Images: 3
Re: Cleaning pots & pans

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
TEFLON!!!!!
Come on man, unless you're cooking eggs (and even then...) non stick is for college kids and guys who can't cook a peanut butter sandwich. Good SS *is* non stick.
__________________
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 20:41   #8
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Adriatic Sea
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 8,512
Re: Cleaning pots & pans

We cook using teflon fry pans and stainless pots, and clean up with 3m sponge pads and dish soap.
__________________
Kenomac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 22:02   #9
Registered User
 
Auspicious's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Boat: HR 40
Posts: 1,793
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: Cleaning pots & pans

+1 on 3M or Scotchbrite pads for regular cleaning. I have bronze wool for the really ugly stuff.
__________________
S/V Auspicious
AuspiciousWorks
Beware cut and paste sailors
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 23:11   #10
Registered User
 
ElGatoGordo's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Kemah, TX
Boat: Jim Michalak designed 25' Caprice and Self Design 32' Shantymaran
Posts: 711
Re: Cleaning pots & pans

I love my RachelRay nonstick. Wipe with a paper towel, wash with soap. Zero scrubbing ever. To each his own.
__________________
------------------
Gordo
ElGatoGordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 00:07   #11
Senior Cruiser
 
roverhi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kona, Hawaii, Carlsbad, CA
Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Posts: 6,005
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Cleaning pots & pans

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Come on man, unless you're cooking eggs (and even then...) non stick is for college kids and guys who can't cook a peanut butter sandwich. Good SS *is* non stick.
I'm a few years out of college and everything I've tried to cook in the one non non-stick SS pan that we own requires at least a couple of minutes, if I'm lucky, of scrubbing with a scotch brite pad to get the crud off. I've tried throwing that pan away but it's the only smallish frying pan we've got and wife is too Pake to throw away an otherwise good looking pan.

Never tried cooking a peanut butter sandwich but it sounds like a great way to screw up a PB&J. Don't know what making pop corn with palm oil would have to do with using, or not using a non-stick pan. Had a roomate that made popcorn with bacon grease. Great flavor but even i, at that young age, realized that it may not have been the healthiest snack food.
__________________
Peter O.
'Ae'a Pearson 35
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 00:35   #12
Moderator
 
Seaworthy Lass's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop
Posts: 12,815
Re: Cleaning pots & pans

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
For our stainless stuff 70% of the time we just use a standard dish scrub brush (bristles) with whatever dish soap. The other 30% of the time I snip a piece off a 3m scrub pad and use baking soda. That will get just about anything off.
+1

If you have forgotten about a pot on the stove and the bottom is a blackened baked on mess, just scrape out the contents, add a cup of water and about a quarter of a cup of baking soda (= bicarbonate of soda) and gently simmer. The black just lifts straight off without any elbow grease (I haven't needed to use that trick in a while ).
__________________
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
"To me the simple act of tying a knot is an adventure in unlimited space." Clifford Ashley
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 06:17   #13
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,583
Images: 240
Re: Cleaning pots & pans

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Mycroft.
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 06:57   #14
Registered User
 
Auspicious's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Boat: HR 40
Posts: 1,793
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: Cleaning pots & pans

I use the Farberware stainless steel pots I bought out of college thirty years ago. They have been supplemented by only a few pieces: a Circulon non-stick omelet pan, a Swiss Diamond 14" saute pan, a Kuhn Rikon 5 l pressure cooker, and the 16 qt pressure canner my mother bought in 1957. It all just works.

The Swiss Diamond does get more use than everything else put together.
__________________
S/V Auspicious
AuspiciousWorks
Beware cut and paste sailors
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 07:59   #15
Registered User
 
Greggegner's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 406
We have a SS pressure cooker, but the pan, small skillet (doubles as lid for pan) and large skillet come from QVC. They don't have handle that make storage difficult and they are Teflon. Cleaning is dish soap and and a green scrubbie.
__________________

__________________
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cleaning

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:01.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.