Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-07-2012, 19:56   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Clean Out the Closet - What to Keep?

For me years ago when I moved on the boat. I did have a small storage locker to store all the "important" things that did not fit on the boat.. After a year of paying storage fees, I decided that most of the stuff I had would just have to go. I have maybe two boxes of family things, left at a friends house. No really value in it, just mementos .

Down to 4 pairs of shoes now too.. A dress pair, flip flops, sneakers and kayak shoes. All the other shoes are long gone... I mainly wear flipflops

4 years later and I really have not miss anything.

sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 06:20   #17

I think it really depends on where you'll be cruising: in our experience in general cruisers in North America and Caribbean are happy with very few clothes, thus a very well worn, I've-been-in-the-backcountry-for-the-last-few-weeks look. In Europe people tend to dress nicer, even cruisers attempt fashion.

Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 06:43   #18

Boat: Mason 43

Yep, I'm with Sailorchic34 on this fees end up not being worth it and you will be surprised how little you really need.

Out of sight, out of mind.

Pare it down to what you think you need and then half that again. Should fit in two duffle bags at most.
"What am I seeking, out on the sea,
somewhere to go, or someone to be?"
- "Orion", Eileen Quinn
HopeFloats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 06:55   #19

Originally Posted by IolantheSF View Post
We are in the process of closing down a 5 bedroom house and a 1 bdrm work apt. It is really hard to decide what to do with things. Our biggest problem is that we are both book addicts. We have one room with floor to ceiling books. It would be VERY expensive to replace our well loved books on the Kindle, which we both own. So, for now, the books were packed and put into storage. My contribution to the chaos is shoes. I have about 25 pairs.
The other problem is cherished, well loved things. We also have paintings, and family heirlooms. What to do with a set of family china that feeds 16 people. When am I ever going to feed 16 people??? that got sent off to my brother.
My husband has a tool for everything. He is having real anxiety about his tools!
I will write an update later when the house and apt are finally gone! LOL
Yes, it is a problem of house dwellers. A house is a place which as George Carlin described as just a place to put your "stuff" while you go out and get more "stuff". As far as books go how many are you going to re read? Maybe less than a dozen? Donate or sell most of them. Keep the few that you really think you will re read.
Heirlooms? Ha! Only to you. The new homeowners might just put the stuff out on the curb without a second thought. Donate or put them up for auction. Unless family members are willing to have more "stuff" in their houses.
Tools can come in handy on board a boat to keep things repaired. Within reason of course. Also allow for some of them to go over the side from time to time. So it's good to have a backup of some of the more important ones.
Anyway that's my two cents on the issue!
Capt. Mike
mbianka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 07:34   #20
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

that which you do not dispo now you WILL dispo later, after you sail away somewhere--i got rid of my storage closet and threw everything out into a dumpster near homeless folks so they could have some of the books and stuff i threw out. wasnt hard. you have x amount of space and do not want to spend xx dollars monthly to stow stuff--ye pitch it.
now i am pitching nd ditching those items with which i left sd -- warm clothes--i keep just enough to make passages in cooler weather and seas, and i let locals have the rest--they are VERY VERY happy to receive stuff. even warm clothes..
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2012, 22:52   #21

Location: Where ever the anchopr touches, currently Great Keppell Is
Boat: Hartley Queenslander 36 ft
Send a message via ICQ to emmo

I am doing all this, retired on Friday, now driving from Perth to Queensland where
my new(to me) yacht is. So the 1st limitation is what I can take over on small truck and small trailer.
When I arrive I reassess.
First things on board are the homebrew equipment and the still!
Cheers Emmo

A man is not a camel
emmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: