Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2018, 05:35   #31
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Circumnavigation with only an outboard.

Thomm.. I am not disputing what you say.. I have had outboards on all the under 26ft boats I have owned.. 10 to date.. some in wells and others hung on the stern..
But we are discussing a particular boat where the well is about 5ft behind the mast at the back end of a small centre cockpit and 9ft from the stern.. balance is not affected in any way and a 25lt tank can sit in the locker each side with hoses set up for quick change over.
Charging for economy should be a solar/wind gen combo..
Another thing to remember.. if petrol is a safety concern.. they do make deisel outboards from 5hp upwards.
http://www.klaxondieseloutboardmotors.com/

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 05:45   #32

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Circumnavigation with only an outboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Thomm.. I am not disputing what you say.. I have had outboards on all the under 26ft boats I have owned.. 10 to date.. some in wells and others hung on the stern..
But we are discussing a particular boat where the well is about 5ft behind the mast at the back end of a small centre cockpit and 9ft from the stern.. balance is not affected in any way and a 25lt tank can sit in the locker each side with hoses set up for quick change over.
Charging for economy should be a solar/wind gen combo..
Another thing to remember.. if petrol is a safety concern.. they do make deisel outboards from 5hp upwards.
Diesel Outboard Motors 5 to 80hp 4stroke 2,3,4 Cylinders water cooled
Yeah okay, but it appears this thread is sort of concerned (the responses anyway) with the OP's boat and also circumnavigation on any boat with an outboard.

A light weight diesel outboard would be nice to have though. In my situation, I'm still undecided on which sailboat I want so trying not to spend too much on this one. More interior space would be nice.......... and pointing ability

I must say though, those Selva Saildrive Outboards do look pretty nice and a 9.9 only weighs 70 lbs or so with what appears to be a rather long shaft

https://www.google.com/search?biw=13...=1526129792130
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 05:59   #33
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Circumnavigation with only an outboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Yeah okay, but it appears this thread is sort of concerned (the responses anyway) with the OP's boat and also circumnavigation on any boat with an outboard.

A light weight diesel outboard would be nice to have though. In my situation, I'm still undecided on which sailboat I want so trying not to spend too much on this one. More interior space would be nice.......... and pointing ability
To be honest.. :inboard, outboard or sculls and oars.. its all been done.. in the past, present and will be in the future.
But its more about mentality, self confidence and adaptability than the type of engine.. if the engine breaks no big deal.. if you break your screwed..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:28   #34

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
To be honest.. :inboard, outboard or sculls and oars.. its all been done.. in the past, present and will be in the future.
But its more about mentality, self confidence and adaptability than the type of engine.. if the engine breaks no big deal.. if you break your screwed..
That's for sure and I think many beginners may not realize it at first.

Just getting seasick can totally incapacitate a person and if that happens at the wrong time ........
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:59   #35

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007
Re: Circumnavigation with only and outboard.

Quote:
When have I ever worried about shooting my mouth off..
I dislike the idea of that big a hole in the bottom of my boat.. the gaskets can get a leak and when they do it can be bad.. maintenance is a pain.. to me its an liability for boats on long passages far from land.
Give me a shaft drive any day.. tiny hole easily stopped if it leaks, or easily dealt with by the bilge pump if left alone.
Its a personal thing for me.. some folks only buy boats with encapsulated keels coz they don't trust keel bolts.. I am the same about sail drive's.
I have a boat with a saildrive and I hate it........ no surprise. Just made for ease of manufacture. I bought the boat regardless. Please anyone thinking of buying a boat with one of these take off about $15000 from the asking price. A total load of crap..... please tell me why they are any good?????Hate.Hate.Hate.!!!!!!
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 14:29   #36

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

yes! it's best if the outboard is attached to a boat while circumnavigating
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 19:49   #37

Boat: Beneteau First 45F5, Adams 12

I have had boat with inboards, outboards and one that had diesel sail drive that I removed and hung an O/B on the stern.

The good for outboards were:
Vectored trust for manoeuvring in tight spaces
Weight that could be moved when the motor was not needed
Ease of service or replacement
Cheap cost
The not so good for outboards were:
Prop clearing the water in swell (or when crew went forward to get bow lines while backing into the pen!)
Having something vulnerable hanging off the back
Lugging a heavy object with sharp bits around a moving boat
Pathetic charging coils means you would need additional method of charging on long trips
Extra fuel consumption and the storage of volatile fuel
Noise
The feeling that you didn't have a 'real' yacht.
Could you circumnavigate with one? Of course you could, would I want to? Nup!
Leakie Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 07:36   #38

Re: Circumnavigation with only and outboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipmclaren1 View Post
At the moment i have two yanmar 1 gm in each hull, its a Catamaran. I have the option of putting in an outboard in a central well, central cockpit, its a Heavenly Twins.

I have bought two Selva 9.9 Sail Drive one with 5 year warranty. I could do with the extra space in the hulls as we have 5 kids and it would be great for putting stoop throughs into the aft cabins for safety.

I am at the stage in my project where i need to decide. so thought i would put the question out there.
HI Philip, I lived on a '74 HT for two years in the 80's with my wife and kids. I had a 25hp yamaha long shaft mounted in the outboard well center cockpit. It was not a high thrust mdl. As long as I did not have a current against me or going into the wind, it worked ok. But, with any opposing current or into the wind, I was dead in the water.

Yamaha makes a 25hp long shaft Hi-thrust mdl that weighs only 200lbs. That might work but what do you think about keeping one of your yanmars in one hull for extra power. You could still make a stoop tru in the other hull and a crawl thru between the two cabins in the stern.
That should work for the kids to get to the main cabin in foul weather.

With the HT you know you are not going anywhere to fast anyway so take you time and go when wind and weather permits. Make sure you take a para-anchor when weather gets to much for you and boat. I used my a few times in the Gulf of Mexico when I was single handing just to get some rest. They do work; practice with it first. Have fun; yiikes...5 kids.

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation, outboard