Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2009, 13:22   #1

Boat: Irwin 40
Christmas Trees Aboard?

Ok this is my first Christmas living about in a long time. Last time i had a 25 footer this time its a 40. Still not much room for any kind of tree but would be nice to have a little desktop tree.

Sooooo I got to wondering what other live aboards do and what other decorations they might put up?

maybe a good time to show off your holiday spirit and show us what your boat looks like this season

This might be fun lol.

Wayne Canning, AMS
projectboatzen.com
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 14:40   #2

Boat: Westsail 28
I'm so glad to be on a small boat and not have to deal with a tree for the first time in my life. Christmas trees on a boat? Bah, Humbug!
syoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 14:53   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i do not do trees on boats--too messy and too much a fire hazard.....unless is charley browns christmas tree....then still too much fire hazard...i use led lights if i do anything..i am not a fan of the commercializing of christmas so i spend my time away from the masses lol--
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 14:59   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
We hang one more decoration each year. Very simple. Have friends over for turkey dinner. Picture is from a few years ago, our cruising friends Ron and Linda "Watermusic". They quit cruising two years ago.

Old 03-12-2009, 16:34   #5

I thought you’d get a lot more replies than this. When cruising we wrapped the compression post in mini lights and our last cruising Christmas dinner was grilled mahi mahi with baked (microwaved) potatoes and local salad. I have never had turkey - at least not the kind you roast in an oven for 4 hours - while cruising. We also played a home made CD of Christmas carols.
However, in the bah humbug vein, I once took a near Christmas cruise on a Carnival cruise ship. My favorite spot was the rear Lido deck which was completely open to the weather a la Titanic. Throughout the cruise they continuously played Christmas carols on this part of the ship. At first it was kind of cool - but there are only so many Christmas carols and variations thereof. It gets old. On the 6th day I arrived at my usual spot on the aft Lido deck and immediately noticed that there was no music. Don’t know whether the CD player broke or what, but it was great and I was enjoying my drink watching the world go by - until the 70 plus year old guy at the next table pulled the largest harmonica I have ever seen out of his shorts. I mean doesn’t everybody have one? He then promptly launched into a rather good rendition of Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 16:56   #6

hey i like the idea of the lights around the post thing i have a keel stepped mast but that will work just the same i think i will do that instead of a tree

And there do seem some Scrooge's around here I thought there would be more to offer thoughts.

Well there is hope yet that not everyone is too jaded lol.

Fair winds
Wayne Canning, AMS
projectboatzen.com
Old 03-12-2009, 17:53   #7

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
We always put up a tiny artifical tree and a tiny nativity scene in our salon on board Exit Only. Not anything big. Just enough to remind us of the time of year. When you cruise around the world, each Christmas you are in a different location. A small tree keeps you in phase with the people back home.

Even when I lived in Saudi Arabia, the merchants sold Christmas trees and ornaments under the counter, although the religious police sometimes confiscated their merchandise. Religious police were the ultimate Scrooges.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 19:18   #8

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailvayu View Post
hey i like the idea of the lights around the post thing i have a keel stepped mast but that will work just the same i think i will do that instead of a tree

And there do seem some Scrooge's around here I thought there would be more to offer thoughts.

Well there is hope yet that not everyone is too jaded lol.

Fair winds
Wayne Canning, AMS
projectboatzen.com
One thing I have come to notice over the couple years bouncing around Sailing forums is a general lack of Christian beliefs in general...

My appointed mission field I guess..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:42   #9

"One thing I have come to notice over the couple years bouncing around Sailing forums is a general lack of Christian beliefs in general..."

I'm Buddhist myself but i see no reason not to enjoy the season and what it represents. And things like Trees and lights remind my of my youth and good times with family

Don't have to be Christian to celebrate the joy of giving and good will to our fellow man. Trees and decorations are a reminder of the good things in life and happy times with family.

Fair Winds

Wayne Canning. AMS
projectboatzen.com
Old 04-12-2009, 03:48   #10

Boat: Privilege 37
Most Christian festivals were established on dates that were holidays in the previous pagan religion, thus any concern about the religious link of these festivities can be ignored.

Of course if you want to celebrate an aspect of your religion on those dates (regardless of religion) please do so,
Old 04-12-2009, 05:09   #11

We have a 3' artificial tree, totally decorated. We also put up lights around the bimini. All lights are LED, and beautiful.

Next year we plan to run lights up the mast.....
sparklegirl50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 06:30   #12

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
we have a small , plastic, table top tree that was actually stored aboard our first boat when we bought it. It's been with us ever since. Here's a blurry photo of the set up.

Zach Aboard: Winter Solstice Celebration

this year our son wants a real live tree that he can plant in the forest after the holidays. So we're on the lookout for a small, potted tree at the local nurseries and farms. I have a soft spot for that plastic on though, so may he'll go out on the bow.

We also do lights and fabric garland that can be used year after year, plus all the kid-friendly , kid-made stuff. We celebrate Hanukkah, Christmas and Solstice on our boat. The more reasons to party the better, and then all crew member's beliefs are covered

(schoonerdog's wife, cindy)
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 06:37   #13

Boat: KP 44
Christmas Mast

If you have a keel steped mast you have a tree waiting to be decorated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Christmas in Barra 001.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	11505  
slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:25   #14
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
we made the attempt a couple times when we lived aboard a 41 footer, but there just wasn't room, even for a small tree, and it's difficult to rig a tree so that it won't shed bulbs when the boat heels.

We've spent the past five or six Christmases sea kayaking down in Baja, and I always take a small (eight inches high) plastic tree that fits perfectly in the pointy end of the bow. Looks a bit silly on a beach, but Santa always seems to be able to find us.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:15   #15

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
I love Christmas. Everyone is so kind and giving (except on black friday ). People seem to be more focused outwardly than inwardly, which makes good things happen. I used to decorate my boat with outside lights. My fav was when I put blue lights around the hull, bow to stern, draping them along the stanchions like waves. Then I ran white light up and down the upper shrouds, backstay, and forestay. A friend gave me two wire shaped dolphins that I hung at the bow. So it looked like a sailboat, sailing thru the water, with dolphins jumping at the bow. Really cool. I decided not to do anything that elaborate this year cause it makes the boat unsailable and I am close to being able to sail her (two-no three more projects!). though I do think I will get a lighted star and hoist it up the forestay
As far as a Christmas tree. Last year someone put a present in my cockpit. It was a miniature prelit and decorated Christmas tree that runs on batteries. It is only about 6 inches tall so its "boat size". Still don't know who left that present but it made my day. I'll try to get a picture of it tonight and post it here, it really is a neat tree.

Merry Christmas,
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote