Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2013, 13:14   #1

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Christmas aboard

This is my fifth Christmas aboard Seaweed, and it is still more fun each passing year. The decorations are up, almost all Christmas cards sent, and life is indeed good afloat.

What have you done for yourself this year on the inside and outside -- maybe next year I'll do the outside, but for now I just have run lights around the cabin windows but maybe another year... Anyway, I love the holidays (the music and decorations are the parts) so what have you done?

And yes, I do have a 2' tall tree stowed (next to the spare wind-gen blades, along with one tote filled to the brim with ornaments and doo-dads. Anything that won't fit in the box gets pitched after the holiday. This year that means the lighthouse with Mickey (red and green light at the top) will go go my daughter's home. It was a yard sale find at $2 so...!

Pictures follow --

The base is a candlestick holder and is taped to the dinette table. I do that almost first -- guess what happened last year when I waited too long?!

Remember when we all had these carolers? The girl has a bell. They came from our boat and are a few decades old.

Of course any gal worth her salt has a tugboat. It's from Lowes a few years back and lights up with three AAA batteries. The little rowboat in front of the whale is one I gave to my grandma in the 60's... when she passed it was given back to me. Wasn't that nice that she had notes under all the curios in her cabinet so we could all have a memory returned?

Back in 1993 I found this at a Kmart and loved it. If you look carefully on the wall behind Santa's desk you'll see a reindeer head mounted. I guess that's what happens when they start to slow down!

Anyway, the tree is filled with memories -- not so much "ornaments" per se, but bits and pieces of life. Each year I allow myself the privilege of finding a single ornament -- price is no object, just something that pleases me. Some years I find nothing, and others maybe one or two. It's an indulgence that gives me pleasure and really, just because it isn't an ornament-ornament, doesn't mean it isn't nifty.

That's my Christmas. Happy Holidays to you and yours from Seaweed.
Old 10-12-2013, 13:35   #2

Boat: Caliber 40LRC
Re: Christmas aboard

Have not decorated this year yet but here are some photos from Christmases past.

TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 15:15   #3
mub

Boat: wayquiez centurion 47

This is my first year living aboard.
And my first alone in lots of years. She got to keep all the decorations...

I designate a storage location for the decorations - bounding the size.
And put up lights outside.

Other things for this year... replaced the stereo so there is music.
Fixing the heating so I am warm.

Next year... more lights.. may be some inside decorations.

Brian
S/V Earendel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0453.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	336.1 KB
ID:	71873  
mub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 15:18   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Here's ours. An older pic.

Old 10-12-2013, 20:50   #5

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

The lighted garland is great -- very festive. I'm not sure what I'll do outside Seaweed (that's for next year)

The ornaments hanging look great too... very spiffy especially with that varnish inside. Very very nice.

And Brian, I know what you mean about storage spots. I've designated one small Rubbermaid crate (maybe 18 x 11 x 12") for everything but the tree. That and Santa's Workshop fit inside the tree bag (fabric I made a few years back) and both slide under the shelf next to the spare Air-Breeze blades.

I know what you mean about music though. I've got two flash drives. (Halloween is stowed in the Christmas box) and one has Thanksgiving radio shows. The other has all my Christmas CDs (Bing Crosby, Rosemary Clooney, Burl Ives, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, etc.) along with Christmas radio shows.

To me, Christmas is decorations and music -- not so much the gift part (though I am woman: gifts are always good)

Take care and Happy Holidays.

Tags
christmas