Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-08-2015, 20:43   #31

Boat: Formally a Leopard 45
Re: Choosing and buying the boat

Clarification- when I said Ipad 4G I meant with cellular.

Old 20-08-2015, 03:43   #32
Armchair Bucketeer

I would also recommend learning to navigate.....which is far more than plotting position (with either a pencil or a gizmo)....its about equipping self to make judgements, and having the confidence to say no.....to yourself!

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 03:43   #33

Getting the trailer registered today so I'll have my project in the yard soon, then the fun begins. First an in depth examination and cataloging of parts and pieces. I have a friend that's a marine surveyor that has kindly offered to check her over if I provide the beer and lunch. He used to date my ex wife, so we get in some good commiseration.
I just figured out it's not a Centaur it's a Pageant. A smaller but similar boat.
Old 20-08-2015, 05:49   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Does your Westerly Pageant have it's original 10hp Volvo Penta diesel or has that been changed?
Old 20-08-2015, 06:23   #35

No, there's no engine in it although there obviously used to be, what kind I have no idea. I'm contemplating putting my 23hp universal in it, there appears to be ample room. Seems like a tad to much horsepower, the boat weighs 4600 lbs empty.
Old 20-08-2015, 08:41   #36

Boat: Catalina 30
Choosing and buying the boat

Oppos
Old 20-08-2015, 13:17   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

fish53, You might enjoy looking at "sailboatdata.com Pageant24" for some specific information about your boat.
Old 20-08-2015, 13:41   #38

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I'd tell you to re-think your opinion on outboards, I don't like them either, I love Diesels, but they are very expensive and take up an enormous amount of room in what isn't that big a boat to start with, plus they are noisy and bring in a lot of heat in a small boat, and this heat is there for many hours.
Outboards can be bought for pennies compared to a Diesel, and essentially take no room at all.
Now if you were looking at 40', 25,000 lb boats, than that is different
You are being realistic, although I think he said he had several diesels to fit the bill? Sometimes I wonder?
Old 20-08-2015, 13:51   #39

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish53 View Post
No, there's no engine in it although there obviously used to be, what kind I have no idea. I'm contemplating putting my 23hp universal in it, there appears to be ample room. Seems like a tad to much horsepower, the boat weighs 4600 lbs empty.
Bigger than you need but that would be a great motor to put in this boat. Might as well put the biggest alternator on it that you can cause you'll have plenty of power. This has to be one of the biggest 23 footers there is. How about some pics.
Old 20-08-2015, 13:55   #40

Quote:
I think my "wandering" comment was unnecessarily vague. I would like to go down the ICW to FL and depending on what boat I end up with maybe out to the Bahamas. The great loop is another trip I think I'd enjoy. Of course New England in the summer. Right now I don't envision any great trips offshore, I spent years getting the crap beat out me on the Grand Banks and Bering Sea, I have something more relaxed in mind. Not being much of a sailor and having some inland intentions makes me think I'll be motoring quite often and I don't know how that would be listening to an outboard all day. I stick with Kubota machinery because it's cheap to repair, tractor parts are a quarter what marine parts are and easy to get.
A 4 stoke OB is quiet, not cheap. If you have and know Kubota have at it. Find an old ODay 27 or 28. Fits your budget and intended use.
Old 20-08-2015, 13:55   #41

Boat: Scout 30

WOA home page
Old 20-08-2015, 15:16   #42

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pageant 1.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	107666 I think I finally got a picture.
Old 20-08-2015, 15:41   #43

Quote:
Attachment 107666 I think I finally got a picture.
Great! take a look at the tires on the trailer. If they have set, dry rot. Been there dun that. Pull it and the tire treads don't move. JMHO
Old 20-08-2015, 15:59   #44

Yeah, the tires are shot, rims are good though. It looks better in this picture than it is. You can't see the mildew or rotted leaves. There's a lot of cleaning and buffing to do. I wired the trailer today and took the wheels in for new tires, so the free boat already has cost me about three hundred dollars. I laid out the sails on the lawn there's two mains, one old and one not so old, jib and 130 genoa, a storm jib and a storm trysail. All in used but what looks to me to be usable shape, they're going to a sail loft to get cleaned and checked out next week. I think if I put my back into it I can have her cleaned up pretty good by next weekend. I appreciate all of the great comments and advice from this forum, around here my old fishing buddies just have fun laughing at me because I've got a sailboat. It's all good though, I have all of their addresses and I'm going to send postcards from the Bahamas when they're all ass deep in snow.
Old 21-08-2015, 09:41   #45

Quote:
Yeah, the tires are shot, rims are good though. It looks better in this picture than it is. You can't see the mildew or rotted leaves. There's a lot of cleaning and buffing to do. I wired the trailer today and took the wheels in for new tires, so the free boat already has cost me about three hundred dollars. I laid out the sails on the lawn there's two mains, one old and one not so old, jib and 130 genoa, a storm jib and a storm trysail. All in used but what looks to me to be usable shape, they're going to a sail loft to get cleaned and checked out next week. I think if I put my back into it I can have her cleaned up pretty good by next weekend. I appreciate all of the great comments and advice from this forum, around here my old fishing buddies just have fun laughing at me because I've got a sailboat. It's all good though, I have all of their addresses and I'm going to send postcards from the Bahamas when they're all ass deep in snow.
Take the fishing buddies out trolling. Sailing can be a great speed without noise. You will have the last laugh. Best of luck.

Tags
buying

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: