Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2015, 13:44   #16

Boat: Niagara 35
Re: Choosing and buying the boat

I don't understand the issue with the spade rudder. You're looking for a coastal pocket cruiser. Most boats sailing around the world are doing it with a spade rudder, so why not in a small coastal boat? I wouldn't limit yourself. Just call a skeg a nice to have, but not a deal breaker, IMHO.
Old 18-08-2015, 16:52   #17

I guess I'm going to have to get used to a spade rudder, I was just given a Westerly Centaur.
fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 17:23   #18

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

I hope it turns out to be a good free boat!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 17:36   #19

Thanks, but we all know there's no such thing as a free boat. At least I'll have some working money.
Old 18-08-2015, 17:49   #20
Armchair Bucketeer

A westerly centaur is a good seaboat - and sails far better than it looks!

The big plus is accomadation. But like all boats they have a few issues, but several thousand built and far more owners means plenty of info on the internet. As a UK boat I would head over to the forum on ybw.com for centaur specific advice from current and past owners.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 19:37   #21

Boat: Scout 30

https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/boa/5170608601.html
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 19:44   #22

https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/boa/5170608601.html
Old 19-08-2015, 09:08   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Tartan 27 is a very livable small boat that was built with an inboard, though probably an A-4 but a lot have had that replaced with diesel. One just sold on the West Coast for less than $4,000 and it was in good condition with a diesel. Another is the Columbia 29. It's a Sparkman and Stephens design so is a good sailor. Originally fitted with an Atomic 4 so should be an easy swap for the engine you've got. A very nice one just sold in SF for around $5,000. Bang for the buck in newer boats, a Catalina 27 is hard to beat though it's a spade rudder.
Yeah, great strong little boat and shallow draft too!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 11:03   #24

Boat: Lots of boats.

Never heard of the Centaur, but in doing some research, it seems like a sturdy boat with a good amount of living space for its size. I like the simple layout and appreciate the attention to detail. The 26 seems like a 30 inside (from pictures). Owning both a Cat 27 and Max 26X, the Centaur is way less claustrophobic than what I am used to.

Seems like a great boat, even if it needs some work. Have fun and enjoy your future travels !
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 13:10   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish53 View Post
I've looked at a Grampian 26 but the one I saw only had an outboard. Do they have an inboard option? Thanks
Strangely enough, I crew on a Grampian 26 in the local beer-can buoy racing. They're strong little boats, but not fast. When well maintained they last forever. Because I'm associated with one, I keep up on them a little and there is one posted for sale for about $6,000 on the Sailboat Owners web site with an Atomic 4 inboard (gas) engine. Used sailboats, sailboats for sale - it's in Ontario. As noted by others, it would be good for a single person with limited space needs.

Personally, I'm opposed to gas on a boat , but I know that people love that A4 engine. Good luck.
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 13:10   #26

Well I guess in the end I didn't get to play much of a part in choosing my boat, but I'm pleased none the less. I understand the Centaur is a slow but reasonably seaworthy boat. The cabin though makes up for any other shortcomings, it's palatial compared to some boats I've looked at, there's certainly plenty of room for one. Thanks for the input from all, I appreciate your experience and insight.
Old 19-08-2015, 13:26   #27

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish53 View Post
I'm actively shopping for a liveaboard/cruising boat on a limited amount of money. I'm retired, single and on a fixed income so I don't need to work and can wander as I please. I just don't have a lot of cash available, five or six thousand to start with. I have few expenses so I would have money available to put into upgrading a boat and I would like to not borrow. I have extensive boating experience on diesel powerboats, both operating and maintaining/repairing. I have very little sailing experience and would be interested in some input regarding what boats might be good to consider. I'm looking in the 26 to 30ft range, I've spent quite a bit of time living in a small space offshore and this size range seems to me to offer adequate accommodation for one and still be relatively inexpensive. I don't mind mechanical repairs, no matter how extensive, including repower. I don't like outboards or gas engines and I own several small diesels that could use a home. What I don't want is fiberglass work, like replacing a cored deck or significant hull damage. I would like to do some rigging work so I could gain some experience, sails though should be in good shape. Well I'm rambling so I'll leave it there, I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.
Find all ODay not a bad boat. Your budget?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 19:01   #28

Some neighbors of mine bought a Westerly Centaur about 10 years ago. They had sailed their Cal 34 from California to Florida but decided to sell it due to it's deep draft. The cruised the Westerly down to the Keys & then the Bahamas. They said the boat handled it great. These are tough little boats that can take you just about anywhere you are up to going. I think you really lucked out. Must be good kharma!

Here's some Westerly Centaur videos I found. The first one is the first of a series that a bloke in England made about the boat. Quite entertaining.

Old 19-08-2015, 19:17   #29

^Ive been following that series and it really put the Centaur on the short list of "perfect-for-me" boats.
c3po is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 19:40   #30

Boat: Formally a Leopard 45

Fish53,
Some great options here! Let me mention that with your apparent diesel skills you'll find no shortage of opportunities to add to your kitty. You'll just need to be aware of not competing with any locals in a public way, and you will need to be upfront with other cruisers that you charge for your services.

I'll mention that with respect to electronics and your budget you can definitely get away with an iPad 4G as your chartplotter. You can often get a refurbished 32GB unit off Groupon for $429. Then put it in a good case, like a Lifeproof nuud. Then get an older used one as a backup to your primary. Many people like the iNavX or Garmin Bluechart apps. The iPad will also be your weather guru (many apps), email and Skype (phone) companion. You'll also be loading it up with books. It's invaluable, although you'll still have to ask others for weather from time to time. Have two VHF's, one installed 25w and one good handheld that has GPS and DSC- Standard Horizon HX870 just had great reviews from Practical Sailor. You can get by without radar or AIS.

Good luck on your hunt.
Four Coconuts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying