Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-06-2013, 09:06   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Child Overboard.

I don't believe that there is a single "right" answer, but I do think that it is correct to establish strict rules. i.e.- When and where is the life vest required? When and where is a tether required? Which parent is on "child watch"? What are the boundries at the dock and underway? Rules need to be established as habits. Our two children were aboard as newborns until they left home as adults and we continued to adapt the rules as they grew. We had events when we didn't know where one was for a time; events when one or the other had fallen in; even a couple of times when our son was lifted off the deck by the running rigging! The best you can do is to attempt to recognize the risks and lay down some protective rules that can be helpful, but not restrict their ability to advance their skills.

Old 17-06-2013, 09:13   #32

Boat: 1977 WESTSAIL 32 #731

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I don't think boats are nearly as dangerous for kids as swimming pools are. At least with boats, you are there, near them, and aware of what is going on. I don't know a single kid who has drowned while boating. Unfortunately, I know a couple who drowned in swimming pools.
Sadly I agree completely.

Just for clarity we also never leave our son unattended intentionally. He is well loved and right now as I type this he is talking a million miles an hour about sailboats while building a angry birds puzzle and scalding the dog for licking his play dough. Life aboard is wonderful.

Abrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 09:22   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrain View Post
Sadly I agree completely.

Just for clarity we also never leave our son unattended intentionally. He is well loved and right now as I type this he is talking a million miles an hour about sailboats while building a angry birds puzzle and scalding the dog for licking his play dough. Life aboard is wonderful.
We're staying with some friends right now in San Diego, loading up on some boat stuff to take back to Mexico. The guy we're staying with is a sailor who grew up on boats as a kid. They had a friend who's six year old was a fine swimmer but tripped on the dock, when between the boat and dock, and got a long term brain injury, never fully recovered and will be on long term care forever.

We had other boat friends that had a child get poisoned from eating 4200 from a tube left in a toolbag.

I don't bring it up to say that boats are unsafe, but rather that the nature of injuries seems to be really unique. I hear so many people focusing on lifeline netting and tethers, when at least for what I've seen the injuries have nothing to do with falling overboard and everything to do with seamanship and maturity which is just impossible to expect from a toddler or young child.
Old 17-06-2013, 09:28   #34

Kids get killed in weird ways, usually. And, I just realized, I do know of a kid who drowned while boating, but it was a weird case. They were out sportfishing, and the kid, about twelve, was in the cabin. The boat, because of a crazy design flaw, had a catastrophic failure where the entire transom broke loose from the rest of the boat, causing it to sink in about a minute.

They had lots of rods and reels stored below, where the kid was sleeping and he got tangled up in them and couldn't get out. The survivors dove on the boat (it was only twelve feet deep or so, but couldn't get him out).

I can't believe I forgot about that case as I was boating last weekend with the captain of the boat and the uncle of the boy.
Old 17-06-2013, 09:47   #35

Boat: 1977 WESTSAIL 32 #731

Well whatever the case all we can do as parents is our best. It's a tough job! Kids are wonderful so do your best to keep them safe.
Abrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 09:54   #36

Boat: Westsail 32
Thank you all for the good ideas! We are still learning and somewhat new to the marina and living on the sailboat, almost daily there is a new adventure. We wouldn't trade our new lifestyle for anything else in the world.

This whole event happened so fast. In retrospect, we learned that getting me out of the water was much harder. I believe we worry much about our children's safety and forget ours, we are stronger or more intelligent, thus can handle anything. In reality, we must take the many safety precautions too.

We are lucky, before he went overboard, our lil guy proudly wore his life jacket. Now he experienced first-hand how well it protected him in the water.
Old 22-06-2013, 21:23   #37

QUOTE="rebel heart;1262688"]

They had a friend who's six year old was a fine swimmer but tripped on the dock, when between the boat and dock, and got a long term brain injury, never fully recovered and will be on long term care forever. We had other boat friends that had a child get poisoned from eating 4200 from a tube left in a toolbag. I don't bring it up to say that boats are unsafe, but rather that the nature of injuries seems to be really unique. I hear so many people focusing on lifeline netting and tethers, when at least for what I've seen the injuries have nothing to do with falling overboard and everything to do with seamanship and maturity which is just impossible to expect from a toddler or young child.[/QUOTE]

It Is difficult to know what a toddler or young child will do-but child proofing as much as possible makes life easier. A locked locker for poisons or dangerous materials may be possible. It's not just boats-So many children on land die from accidental poisoning as well. It's amazing how cleaning supplies look like foods (Comet vs canned Parmesan cheese). And kids can reach & get into places that seem impossible!

It's amazing any of us made it to adulthood! When we were kids...

http://www.pianoladynancy.com/how_did_we_survive.htm
Old 22-06-2013, 21:54   #38

Boat: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i love it---my cat is smarter than a child...tethers save lives. i pity you when --not if--but WHEN you suffer your loss....
if my gato can handle a tether, so can a child. safety is safety. cuts burns and scratches are not death or vegetable state. i have seen both and the parents reactions in each.
is easier to be safe than to replace a child. granted the practice of making one is fun, but..i think you may wish to splain it to momma after the kid is gone.

toddlers learn faster than gatos or dogs. if you RESPECT your loved ones, you will tether them into boat--especially during opassages and rough anchorages..oh i forgot--rebel doesnt DO anchorages.....
Wow....
Old 22-06-2013, 22:02   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
oh i forgot--rebel doesnt DO anchorages.....
What insanity are you peddling this time?
Old 23-06-2013, 08:55   #40

We are starting to do some mor extensive sailing with our three boys (www.sailingwithkids.net)

With three, we have had to deal with the concept that you have to delegate safety. The idea of having an adult "watch the kids when on deck" is not going to work. Not only are we outnumbered, but there are still all the other stuff to do, you know, like sail... Or make lunch.

So we have focused on tethers and rules. If we are at dock, you have to wear this, motoring, you wear this, sailing wear this, wind strength over such and such, stay in the cockpit, high winds and tacking, stay in the cabin.

One key was making my own, much shorter tether. Pick any off the shelf and a kids could easily go over the side on one. Mine are just three foot long.

Tags
overboard

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: