Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2012, 03:55   #1

Cheoy Lee 35 - Robert Perry - your thoughts

Boys and girls...

I am seriously contemplating the purchase of a Robert Perry designed 1980 Cheoy Lee 35. I am a single, newb sailor (not new to boating though) seeking a liveaboard in the Vancouver BC area. I am hoping to take the boat on some extended cruising at some point in the relatively near future when I get my sea-hours up...that is if the boat is capable (would love to go to tropical climes like the Caribbean or beyond if possible) but the main consideration is local cruising and living on board comfortably.

Marine Servicenter - Seattle (Seattle, WA)&

Could you share your thoughts on the above listing?

How is the boat for single handed sailing? What is missing with this particular boat that I need to consider upgrading?

I see that the sail area/displacement ratio is low and the ballast ratio % is low too. Does anyone with any experience on these boats know if these boats are slow (particularly in light winds) as this advertises? How comfortable are these boats on the water for extended cruises? Are they safe and sturdy in the open ocean?

I know that the skipper's experience is obviously the best indicator of a any boat's seaworthiness - and I'll get there. But any help in selecting a suitable ride to begin with would be appreciated.

BTW - I am aware of the upkeep/maintenance issues of teak decks ("leaky teaky" boat club) and am also aware its not necessarily ideal for tropical climes if I go down, so please don't focus on that - I don't want the thread derailed because of this singular topic.

Thanks for your input!

Rob
Carogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 04:44   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Cheoy Lee 35 - Robert Perry - your thoughts

I have no real first hand experience with the CL boats but researched them back during my search. Overall they were boats aimed are cruisers of the day and designed based on the trends of the day. The biggest issues I would come across were issues with the chainplates due to the poor stailess that was used and problems with wet decks due to screws from teak decks.

In the posting the boat looks good. If it has been taken care of and updated over the years it should be a nice solid boat. Far as stuff needed that is an impossibe to answer question and will take time to know.

If you search the web there is a Cheoy Lee owners club that has a lot of info. if I remember it was hard to find, but if you know it exists you will look till you find it.

I take it back - I found it in 5 seconds: http://www.cheoyleeassociation.com/a_entrance.htm
Old 05-03-2013, 13:57   #3

Boat: Chesapeake Light Craft Passagemaker, Tyler Craft T42, and 9' RIB.

I have been looking at one and there is a thread where Mr. Perry chimed in about the 35.

I spent an hour or so crawling thru one on Sunday, I am happy to share my takes on the design from on the hard.

The one I am looking at is hull number 3500 and supposedly was built as a 35th birthday present for the son of Cheoy Lee's Shipyards owner for good luck.

I could be mistaken but I recall something about the mast being designed as a keel stepped and the yard changing it.

One is on my short list but given the work required for the price being asked, I may pass, besides, I am putting an offer in on a Formosa and hope the owner takes it!
Ramblingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 14:13   #4

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Carogan,
Your post was refreshing to read, you are sensible and on the right tract.
The boat seems to be a nice one, it may be for you.
Check out the CL forum for known quirks and go from there.
Have you viewed the boat in person?
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 14:37   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

"One is on my short list but given the work required for the price being asked, I may pass, besides, I am putting an offer in on a Formosa and hope the owner takes it!"

what model formosa are you looking at?? have you found formosa owners group, now named leaky teaky yacht club at yahoo groups yet--there is a bunch of knowledge on formosas, specifically.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 16:25   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
"One is on my short list but given the work required for the price being asked, I may pass, besides, I am putting an offer in on a Formosa and hope the owner takes it!"

what model formosa are you looking at?? have you found formosa owners group, now named leaky teaky yacht club at yahoo groups yet--there is a bunch of knowledge on formosas, specifically.
I am looking at a Formosa 35 and really like it despite a few design "idiosyncrasies." All boats are compromises.

Three of my top 4 boats are "leaky teakies" of some brand.

...and yes, joined the LTYC the other day. Is there a burgee? Even unofficial as can be would be cool. I'd be good with "LTYC" on a plain background.
Old 05-03-2013, 16:31   #7

the 35 is a cute lil cruiser. solid and cute
Old 05-03-2013, 16:51   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
the 35 is a cute lil cruiser. solid and cute

Thank you - Just spoke with the seller and verbal agreement of sale is complete. Should settle in a few weeks and take ownership.
Old 05-03-2013, 17:02   #9

awesomest..
Old 05-03-2013, 19:24   #10

Boat: Valiant 40

Wooden mast. Maintenance.

Teak decks. Make sure you understand the replacement cost even if you're willing to do the required maintenance. And that deck is probably 25 years old which is getting near the serviceable life of the deck, give or take depending on how it has been cared for.

Cheoy Lees are well built boats and that design is good choice for a liveaboard given it's cabin space, all other things being considered. She looks to be well kept and with the recent Yanmar at $30k that's a pretty good value, IMO. Of course, pictures make most boats look better and it all comes down to the survey with respect to what you're getting for your money.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheoy lee