Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2013, 13:00   #1

Cheapest liveaboard cities of the USA?

What places in the US are the cheapest to be a liveaboard? Because here in Southern California it's ridiculous. Say you have a 35 foot sailboat. A slip like that here in San Diego is about $560 a month. And there's an additional $225 liveaboard fee. So that right there is $785 a month not including electric, storage, showers - ( Shelter Cove Marina - Live Aboard Information ). And not to mention that it takes like at least 1 - 3 years just to get a liveaboard slip because of the long waiting list.

So guys from your experience what cities are the cheapest to be a liveaboard sailor where it doesn't take years and years to get a liveaboard slip?

I did find this though on Craigslist - a $250 a month liveaboard mooring up in Morro Bay...55' Morro Bay Mooring

And this website here ( Boat Living ) says you could be a liveaboard by Houston, TX for about $300 a month.

watersofdiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 13:05   #2

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Re: Cheapest liveaboard cities of the USA?

Just under $600.00 a month for liveaboards (electricity is separate, any size slip) in the eastern panhandle of Florida.

You can get a slip for as little as $300/month there too.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 13:20   #3

Boat: 1989 52' PT Overseas Yachtfisher

Rates vary in Puget Sound- we pay $750/mo for a 56' LOA slip her in Seattle. The same size slip in Tacoma or Bremerton would run about $500/$600.

Cruising grounds are much better than San Diego too
Old 11-09-2013, 13:26   #4

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Have you looked at Friday Harbour, Washington state?
For Year Round Marina Customers | The Port of Friday Harbor
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 13:26   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

That seems like a deal for San Diego. It's hot as hell in Houston for 4-5 months and get pretty cold at time in the winter.
If you have a good job in San Diego, I'd sit tight. If you're retired; go cruising,
Old 11-09-2013, 13:31   #6

Boat: Celestial 48

If you can get a mooring in San Diego you can live cheap (less than $150/mo). Get on wait list and wait a few years. There may be some movement with this as it seems San Diego Mooring Co may actually enforce rules this year (to be seen). Rules say vessel must be seaworthy and able to move under its own propulsion (engine or sail). A lot of boats are hanging on those moorings now that don't fit that description. Maybe the wait list will get shorter?
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 14:24   #7

Boat: Hudson Force 50

I have some experience with this. The cheapest plance in the San Francisco area is Oyster Point Marina. I had a 50 foot sailboat there for 350 per month + liveaboard fee of 200. I am currently in Hawaii and my liveaboard rate is about 1500 per month. In the northern part of San Francisco Bay there are also other inexpensive harbors the farther inland you go. San Rafael is inexpensive. Vallejo is also inexpensive. Sausalito is not.
medicrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 14:33   #8

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Try Louisiana, theres lots of docks with power meters, starting at 75.00 usd to 200 usd. theres plenty of bayous, most of then with 6ft or better of water, lots of docks with no shrimp boats at them, folks would love to have someone rent them!! we rent to 2 other boats, at our dock, at 180 usd per month, each have there own meters and water, and trash pick up, and parking for one car! Sure theres hurycanes! but we know about them at least 5 days before they get here! plenty time to head to a more secure spot if needed! Sure it gets hot in summer, but the rest of the year is sweet! and Mexico is an easy sail! and The food is great down here LOL and fishing is better then most anywhere!! Just sayin try someplace new !!
Old 11-09-2013, 14:35   #9

We pay about $600 month for a forty footer in NYC with no liveaboard fee. Might not seem that cheap until you consider we used to pay $2,500 a month for a 400 square foot apartment in Manhattan that didn't have a water view or an outdoor space.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 17:03   #10

Boat: Gulfstar 37 - Starship
Try NC. We are at North West Creek Marina in New Bern. Not sure of the per ft rate but my 37 is around $250/Mo. Slips are metered and I am not a liveabord. Great sailing on the Rivers, Sounds and off shore.
NCSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 17:09   #11
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by watersofdiego View Post
What places in the US are the cheapest to be a liveaboard? Because here in Southern California it's ridiculous. Say you have a 35 foot sailboat. A slip like that here in San Diego is about $560 a month. And there's an additional $225 liveaboard fee. So that right there is $785 a month not including electric, storage, showers - ( Shelter Cove Marina - Live Aboard Information ). And not to mention that it takes like at least 1 - 3 years just to get a liveaboard slip because of the long waiting list.

So guys from your experience what cities are the cheapest to be a liveaboard sailor where it doesn't take years and years to get a liveaboard slip?

I did find this though on Craigslist - a $250 a month liveaboard mooring up in Morro Bay...55' Morro Bay Mooring

And this website here ( Boat Living ) says you could be a liveaboard by Houston, TX for about $300 a month.

I would move to morro bay for that! Here, 542 a month cover everything incl wifi and cable.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 17:11   #12

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Since San Diego has an ideal, all-around-comfortable climate, what do you expect? Location, location, location.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 17:17   #13

We paid through the nose in San Diego, but man, what a great f'n city to live in.

Live in Houston? Screw that.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 17:34   #14

Boat: Pearson Ariel 26, Pearson 30

$175 @ month/electricity/showers/etc. included..of course, from Oct-April, you are climbing a ladder , rather than walking a dock....and the water supply might be a little erratic too. Come to Cleveland!!!

For real, if you are working in SD, and paying that, I would take that all day long..retired...that's another story..
RicknSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 17:40   #15

Last time I checked, Chula Vista was still reasonable: something under $300 and I think maybe another $150 for liveaboard (38 foot). That's pretty good for the San Diego area.

Lot's of bargains up in Puget Sound and it's a great place to own a sail boat.
sardinebreath is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, liveaboard