Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2014, 21:11   #16

Re: "chart table"

If the one chart is going to be permanent, I would first mount it to the table with spray adhesive & then brush clear polyurethane over the whole table top. 3M Super 77 is my permanent spray adhesive of choice. I don't have a favorite brand for the polyurethane. Just about the only thing that cleans up 77 is turpentine. Be sure to have some on hand.

If you want to be able to change the chart, then post #7 sounds good to me.
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2014, 19:40   #17

Boat: Ranger 26
Re: "Chart Table"

Hi all,
Yes decorative was the idea, some good ideas here. I will be looking for a piece of plexiglass!
Old 30-05-2014, 22:30   #18

Boat: Valiant 40-169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsynurse View Post
Hi all,
Yes decorative was the idea, some good ideas here. I will be looking for a piece of plexiglass!
For a permanent installation you need to pour acrylic casting resin over the chart. I read a how- to article on this type of project a long while ago and that is what the author recommends because it is crystal clear. I think you get it from art and craft stores. Plexiglass scratches pretty easy although I Don't know if the resin is harder. Might consider a plastic with a hard coated surface.
gordwedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 08:15   #19

Be warned, if you use the table as a coffee table also putting Plexiglas on it may be a bad idea. My mom has a really nice 8 ft pine table that kept getting marks in the wood so she put half a million photos on it and covered it in Plexiglas. It gets a lot of warpage from hot items like a teacup or hot oatmeal. On the flip-side it is sitting right in front of the window and is constantly getting sun and none of the photos really have visibly faded, though that might just be a thing with the photo paper not the Plexiglas in question.
Azaynowen is offline   Reply With Quote