Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2017, 13:46   #16

Re: Catamaran parking in southern Florida

BTW... beam is 23.5'
Xtalpowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 15:43   #17

Boat: Various

Every community has different rules. In Fort Lauderdale you can extend 30% of the way into the canal or 25 ft, whichever is less. Broward County is 33%. I believe Pompano is 33% but don't know if they have a minimum. Regardless you should be fine on an 80' canal as long as your dock doesn't extend into the canal. But if you had a 4' dock plus a 23.5' boat you'd be in trouble in an 80' canal. Fine in a 100' canal. If you look at homes, you need to do so with a realtor experienced in waterfront homes in that city. Some are knowledgeable throughout the county.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 16:01   #18

I just did a quick search and found several potential docks on docksearch. What is your draft going to be? That could be an issue on many of the canals as often they're only dredged to 5'.
Old 17-07-2017, 16:02   #19

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Please be aware that Ft. Myers is an hour away from the ocean. Other Gulf coast locations might better suite your needs.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 16:13   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
Please be aware that Ft. Myers is an hour away from the ocean. Other Gulf coast locations might better suite your needs.
And over 2 hours from Fort Lauderdale and most areas are further.
Old 17-07-2017, 17:30   #21

Boat: S2.....7.9/26'

Yes....Fort Myers is much cheaper. Have a hard time making money on my rentals at times.
softdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 18:09   #22

Boat: S2.....7.9/26'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
South Ft Myers is where most of the newer homes are. It isn't that far. There is also a section that is literally on the ocean.
softdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 18:44   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by softdown View Post
South Ft Myers is where most of the newer homes are. It isn't that far. There is also a section that is literally on the ocean.
He's only considering Ft. Myers for the boat. He is working in Fort Lauderdale so has to live in that area.
Old 22-07-2017, 14:54   #24

Hi all, we have come to the conclusion that immediately moving onto the boat full time is not going to happen. It would be too hard with full time jobs in the ft. Lauderdale, Miami area with two big dogs on a 40ft cat.

Our plan is to find a resonably priced place to rent, if we find a place on a canal or the water that can accommodate the boat great. If not we dock the boat separate. We have contacted a realtor that is looking for us and we have friends in the ft Myers area that are realtors.

I all ready know that we will want to modify the cockpit enclosure. We want to cover as much of the cockpit as possible with either a hard top or a fabric covered frame. Also we are going to get rid of the dingy davits and put an arch on the back to mount solar panels and a wind turbine.

Right now we are staying focused on the survey that will be happening on Thursday. If that goes well we will be sailing from ft Myers to key west with the owner. We are excited to get a feel for the boat and spend a couple days on board. Thank you all for replying and giving us your insights and opinions.

We will keep posting and just let people know how things are going. We are also looking forward to meeting other sailors in Florida.

Rich & Crystal
Xtalpowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 16:21   #25

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Dear Rich and Crystal, if I may....would it not be prudent to sit down at dinner with a bottle of beer or wine and talk this out? Sometimes when we try to do to much too quickly it can blow up in our faces. I am suggesting a 'time-out"....a breather from the crucible you are being ground up in.

here is what an outsider sees...
1. you are relocating to a new area to live. That in itself is a big undertaking. Finding the right house, the right location, the right finances...it is stressful

2. You are both starting new jobs. A new job can be dicey enough. What is being asked of you in your employment? What is the structure of management? What is your supervisor or manager's personality fit with you? Multiply that times two since two of you are starting new jobs.

3. Buying a boat is one of the hardest things in the world to do...I put it right up there with picking a companion.

So, would it not be a better situation ...to get everything done correctly...to knock the dominoes down one by one? How about putting this purchase on hold? Yes, you might not get her back? Do you really believe this is a once in a lifetime boat opportunity? Get your housing set up first. Settle in. Get a sense of the "lay of the land". Build contacts...explore the terrain...survey ...survey....

Get your jobs down pat. Understand your work commitments and your interpersonal relationships with management. it is key. What if they are jerks...or you or her are not a good fit?

Once you have these two major things under your belt...then pound the turf and find your boat. By then you will understand dockage rates...seasonal issues...contacts...who is who...who is trustworthy...who is slime.

Advice is worth what you paid for it. But this is good advice and I am sure many members of this forum would say it is sound advice. If you buy this boat and have job issues...distance issues...dockage issues...seasonal issues...it is a huge financial undertaking you are undertaking. You think buying a boat is tough....???? Try selling one without losing you arse....

I wish only the best for you two. I am not trying to throw a wet blanket on your dreams. I am just saying...get your pieces in place...understand your situation....then pounce. My deepest respects...alan
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 21:39   #26
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"the ft. Lauderdale, Miami area"
No really, just call it the "Gold Coast" and no one gets upset. See, Miami doesn't like to acknowledge the pretender of a city to the north, and FLL doesn't want to be confused with the slums of Miami. Kinda like putting Greeks and Turks in the same pot, it just gets them both upset.
On finding a reasonable place to rent down there? You might be 5-8 years too late for that. In the last year or so, pretty much all the Nooze have agreed that it is actually cheaper to BUY and own, than to rent. In many places, the Gold Coast among them. Even when you take out the closing costs and broker's fees, in about two years you make money by financing it, rather than renting it.
I know, the uncertainty of new jobs can work against that...a bigger picture that you have to look at from all angles. There are properties in Broward that sell for $60k but rent for $1400 per month. That's a rent set at 42 months being equal to the cost of a purchase! Crazy market.
And in Broward County, once you step outside FLL there are something like 30 other municipalities (Broward calls them all "cities" but demographers say most of them are too small to be called that) including a few with canals. Going north of FLL to someplace like Pompano, you should still be able to find a house on the water at lower prices. Too far north, they'll get pricey again as you get near Palm Beach.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 15:03   #27

Boat: Leopard 39 37.6'

right on alansmith. My wife and I are buying our first yacht and we thought it would be a fund adventure. Every step has been super tough. I'm doing a video series on just our adventures in buying. Hopefully the hardworking is worth it. At one point I felt like Poseidon was trying to tell us something before we even got on the water. If that's true, we haven't listened. I'm pouring an extra portion for him during our renaming ceremony.
spinnerbug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, florida