Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2013, 06:30   #16

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post

I had not considered this and I'll have to agree. My thought was that the vertical changes with swell have a far greater influence on seasickness than the angle of heel and this rise and fall would be similar with a mono- or multi- hull. A clear view of the horizon has a great effect. Many who are chartering and unaccustomed to time on the water are in protected waters, and in these cases, the open view is likely the deteriming factor. It always amazes me how many can become seasick when there are no waves or swell at all.
Yes, swell gets to my GF even on a cat, but being out in the open w a view helps. She heads for the saftey nets on the bow when feeling a little woozy....and has been known to spend most of a multi-day crossing there.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 06:38   #17

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
@ OP: Your target price range and size is going to be a challenge for a good cat. And in that range you are almost certainly going to need a significant refit ($$$). Cats are great for cruising use, but there are many more good old monos out there in that price range.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 18:57   #18

Re: Catamaran Advice for Someone New

As far as getting sick goes , I have been sick on both kinds but I believe for sailing the Carib a Gemini would be a nice boat. Its shallow draft would almost insure a better hurricane hidey hole .
pistarckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 19:04   #19

Re: Catamaran Advice for Someone New

I second the advice to look at an older PDQ. We have bought one not long ago and have found them to be very well built and comfortable. There are not a lot of them on the market but a few pop up every now and then.
Patcheloupe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran