Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2016, 17:10   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Cat v. Monohull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Here are the basics that others might expound upon:
1. Cost of purchase
2. Draft
3. Cabin space
4. Speed
5. Different forms of movement when sailing
6. Different response to cargo weight
7. and maybe some form of safety
8. and maybe some aesthetics that I don't see
9. Different angle of horizontal/vertical surfaces on most points of sail.
10. Different movement at anchor.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 17:28   #17

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
-----If your married and she goes on both, your choice just went away. You will be a Cat person.
-----
Amen.
Old 27-06-2016, 17:58   #18

Albeit an ignorant on the matter of multi and mono hulls, I wonder if in my ingenuity, I would be able to compare them to cars?

For example, take a top of the line Mercedes. A big powerful family car. It has all the comfort and space you desire. It's able to blast down the road at 250km/h and you don't feel anything, you don't hear anything. An absolute dream.

Then you have a... Ferrari? Limited space, the engine roars and houls loudly so you need to rise your voice a few times as you approach 300km/h, direct steering, hard suspension and probably twice as thirsty than the above Mercedes.

Logic (and wife) tells you that the Mercedes is the better car but your heart beats louder when driving the bloody Ferrari...

Probably very similar to multi vs monohull except that In that case, the Mercedes would be faster than the Ferrari. Maybe a Lotus Elise would have been a better example but you get my drift.

I wouldn't mind owning a cat but a traditional monohull somehow appeals to me more despite all logical disadvantages.

I'll make sure to keep my wife away from cats. She actually enjoys heeling right now (who would have thought?)

My two cents

Enviado do meu GT-I9195 através de Tapatalk
tchavei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 19:44   #19

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
SNIP

The boat to choose becomes clearer as you clarify your expected lifestyle and its cost.
A lot of folks buy a boat based on what they think they will be doing on the boat, not what they actually wind up doing on a boat. Try and come up with a detailed idea of things like where the boat will be, how often you will be in a marina, and what you expect you will be doing during hurricane season for starters. Also what activities you enjoy, will you be spending more time in port and eat and drink in a bar several times a week or be the only boat anchored in a remote harbor and eat a fish you speared earlier in the day.

These are just a few of the things that help select the right boat. The more details like this you can determine the easier it will be to select the right boat.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 20:12   #20

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I am a long time mono sailor. Another woman who doesn't mind heeling. In fact, I prefer the mono movement to the quicker motion of a cat. I'm prone to seasickness, and it is jerky motion that sets me off.

Therefore, I would say to the OP, by all means consider the details of how you would use the boat, aware that some places charge double for cats (because they take up both sides of a wide enough berth, but try sailing on each type of hull and then decide. If you have a history of being carsick as a child, you may well suffer from motion sickness as an adult. It is something that a positive attitude can help you with, as you teach your body to cope. Myself, I use stugeron, for me, no side effects, and I feel so very much better.

Ann
Old 27-06-2016, 21:49   #21

I'd suggest you decide on a budget, then take the family to look at as many boats as possible of both types that fit your budget. Then decide which you'd prefer to live on.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 00:48   #22

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
OK, I'll bite on this lure. I recently admitted on another thread that I'm slow to understand humor. So, obviously there's no such pending law; therefore, the punchline that I'm waiting for must be related to the already higher cost of a catamaran compared to the monohull. Some have suggested that the actual cost is not very different when you calculate the expense per square foot. Is that the message hiding in this post?

...or is it a suggestion that the anxiety about the choice is driven by an unjustified paranoia? Yes, this could be the message.

Help me, Dulcesuenos, am I close?
I was being funny, meant to put jk at the end. But you have valid points in that the cost/ sq ft isn't much higher, and there are cheaper cats and more expensive just as their is in Minos.

Sent from my STUDIO 5.5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 03:18   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchavei View Post
Albeit an ignorant on the matter of multi and mono hulls, I wonder if in my ingenuity, I would be able to compare them to cars?

For example, take a top of the line Mercedes. A big powerful family car. It has all the comfort and space you desire. It's able to blast down the road at 250km/h and you don't feel anything, you don't hear anything. An absolute dream.

Then you have a... Ferrari? Limited space, the engine roars and houls loudly so you need to rise your voice a few times as you approach 300km/h, direct steering, hard suspension and probably twice as thirsty than the above Mercedes.

Logic (and wife) tells you that the Mercedes is the better car but your heart beats louder when driving the bloody Ferrari...

Probably very similar to multi vs monohull except that In that case, the Mercedes would be faster than the Ferrari. Maybe a Lotus Elise would have been a better example but you get my drift.

I wouldn't mind owning a cat but a traditional monohull somehow appeals to me more despite all logical disadvantages.

I'll make sure to keep my wife away from cats. She actually enjoys heeling right now (who would have thought?)

My two cents

It's difficult for me to accept this analogy, - 'probably because I'm sailing a "1973 Chevy Nova"!
Old 28-06-2016, 03:22   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

We have 2 monos in the family.

A few years ago I stepped onto a Catamaran and was instantly hooked. Everything I wanted in a boat.

My friends were horrified... could not believe the conversion I had undertaken.

I still like monos.... but prefer multis... muchly.

So go and try both types in your price bracket and choose... neither is wrong, but it has to suit you...

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 10:39   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:

My two cents

I like arguing by analogy, but this doesn't really work. The issue is that the matrix of boats and cars are all out of allignment.

Just to take a few factors.

Cats are generally faster than monohulls length for length. So in this case the cat is more like the sports car versus a sedan.

But length for length cats have far more volume. So in this case cats are like the sedan

But cats are far more weight sensitive. So in this case they are like a lotus versus a muscle car

Basically the sports car analogy just doesn't hold across criteria.

The only fair way to compare a mono versus a multihull (in my eyes) is price for price and of similar condition since those are generally the real constraints most people face. In this case I would expect the cat to be shorter, faster, have less load carrying, be more comfortable at anchor and underway. But details matter.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 10:53   #26

Quote:

My two cents

I kind of like that analogy but put it in the context of cruising.

You are on a 6month road trip and must sleep in the car every night...no person in their right mind is going to give up that big back seat in the big sedan to stretch out in and the comfy suspension of the sedan will be in your dreams after days on the road with the rock like Ferrari suspension beating you up.

Now for a day at the track, the Ferrari is the choice just like you can make the argument for a mono burying the rail as fun if all you do is go for day sails.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 14:21   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
I like arguing by analogy, but this doesn't really work. The issue is that the matrix of boats and cars are all out of allignment.

Cats are generally faster than monohulls length for length. So in this case the cat is more like the sports car versus a sedan.

But length for length cats have far more volume. So in this case cats are like the sedan

But cats are far more weight sensitive. So in this case they are like a lotus versus a muscle car

The only fair way to compare a mono versus a multihull (in my eyes) is price for price and of similar condition since those are generally the real constraints most people face. In this case I would expect the cat to be shorter, faster, have less load carrying, be more comfortable at anchor and underway. But details matter.
I'm not arguing. At this point of my life (just turned 40, have two kids in private college, house mortgage, etc), I can't afford neither... Well at least not in a size I would consider minimal for cruising so I really just am looking at it from a distant uninterested view (well sort of) and after reading these debates for months here, I personally think that they all have their advantages and disadvantages. They're both cool. I still like the sleek look of a monohull better. Many will disagree and rightfully so. Not everyone likes the same car either
Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I kind of like that analogy but put it in the context of cruising.

You are on a 6month road trip and must sleep in the car every night...no person in their right mind is going to give up that big back seat in the big sedan to stretch out in and the comfy suspension of the sedan will be in your dreams after days on the road with the rock like Ferrari suspension beating you up.

Now for a day at the track, the Ferrari is the choice just like you can make the argument for a mono burying the rail as fun if all you do is go for day sails.
I learned that the hard way 15 years ago when I took my Z3 for a 1600km trip... What an idiot I was... I could barely move my wrists at the end. There is a reason they called the car the "grasshopper".

Tony

tchavei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 15:31   #28

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post

How about width for width?
goat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, monohull