Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-08-2013, 18:54   #16

Boat: Columbia 41
Re: Cat as a liveaboard

My cat, Edith, has not been ashore for 18 months. She is a good friend. The only thing is, she is a fussy eater. No fish, thank you. If it doesn't crunch she don't like it much.

Old 27-08-2013, 19:08   #17

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
wants treats are you hongree? do you want food? knows how much food is in his pail....
Lilly (the 17 YO) lets us know in no uncertain terms what's she wants. Today it was ice in her water bowl. Everyday at 6:00 am she wakes us up to give her her medicine (we call it cookies -- Prednisone compounded into a delicious tuna treat). She is a very smart cat, very vocal and very sociable.

Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 19:13   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Oh. And don't waste your money on a cat lifejacket. They won't wear them. Mine would fall over instantly, claiming it could no longer walk.
+1 on that! Chloe (our 6 YO) tried that with her harness for awhile, but I waited her out. Her desire to be in the cockpit with us during the day on passages finally won out over the 'I can't possibly move in this contraption'!
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
Old 27-08-2013, 19:20   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Plan B View Post
My cat, Edith, has not been ashore for 18 months. She is a good friend. The only thing is, she is a fussy eater. No fish, thank you. If it doesn't crunch she don't like it much.
We are running into that problem with Lilly these days. She was never a picky eater before, in her prime she was a 14 pound cat that was all muscle, now days she is down to 9 pounds. We spend a lot of time coaxing her to eat and have a variety of food on board that we rotate through to keep her interested. We go between crunchy stuff and canned stuff.
Old 27-08-2013, 20:33   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post

My cat loves it, but she is an escape artist. I have the cockpit netted in when I'm not sailing. When I am sailing, I have her in a cloth carrier in the cockpit, and she seems to love it. It's important to be able to secure her (just grab the carrier handle) if a big wake or wave comes around. Animals can be hurt in the cabin by flying objects. Besides, she would rather see what's going on.

Also, cats have very sensitive senses of smell. They will smell the fumes from 10 minutes of motoring much more than a human would.

Let me know if you want to know more about how the netting works. I've had to be pretty ingenious, because my cat is a little Houdini!
I'd love to hear more about the netting.

Thank you!

S

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: