Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2016, 11:20   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450
Cartagena, what's a safe secure marina

We'll be leaving our Lagoon 450 for 14-21 days in Cartagena. What would be the safest most secure Marina there? Thank you.
sailingforfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:10   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Cartagena, what's a safe secure marina

See Cartagena —

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:31   #3

Boat: Boatless

Club de Pesca is where the local rich keep their boats and is very safe but it is hard to get a slip.

Club Nautico is much more interesting but when we were there was not particularly safe.

You can anchor off Club Nautico but again not nearly as safe as Club de Pesca.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:37   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

When I inquired at Club de Pesca a couple of years ago they said they could not accommodate Cats...and did not seem very enthused about cruisers.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:30   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 2012 509, 50.5 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingforfun View Post
We'll be leaving our Lagoon 450 for 14-21 days in Cartagena. What would be the safest most secure Marina there? Thank you.
Club Nautico is very safe and a wonderful place to dock. We spent three weeks there in 2015 and reckon it was our best Liberty port since sailing out of San Francisco. It's reasonably priced, excellent repair trades of all types available, market for shopping two blocks away and walking distance to the Old City where the best times can be had. Really can't say enough about Cartegena and Club Nautico.
aucoingc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:56   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

Suggest you try the western marina in Cartagena, Real Club De Regatta. It is actually cheaper than Club Nauticla and has better facilities ( club house, club restaurant, showers & laundry, plus a swimming pool and gym. I spent 3 days there about 2 wks ago. Think I paid about €27/ night for 13 metres/ 43 feet.
Old 07-08-2016, 14:40   #7

Boat: Prout

You may wish to consider Marina Puerto Valero.

It is a new marina where I left a 33ft cat for 3 months Oct last year to Jan this year and only cost $550 usa for the 3 months, definitely the cheapest in Colombia.

However it is remote with no shops. It is 60 miles north of Cartagena which might be heard against any wind.......I was lucky, unless you are coming from ABCs in which case you will be passing it. There are cheap taxis which will take you to the main road some 4 miles away where there are regular bus services. Pascal, the manager is very helpful. If coming from Cartagena you will have to do the usual paperwork changing ports, which is a pain and has to be done through the marina who then have to do it with Barraquilla

Club nautical is amazing with Belli, the manager, who could not be more helpful. Getting a berth in the club is nigh impossible. There are no moorings and the anchoring whilst good if you are there all the time if not the tides can take its toll especially if using 2 anchors. However there are many liveaboards who just do not move on who would gladly look after the vessel for a lot less than any marina.........there was a German guy, real good and helpful but I forget his name and yacht name..........he is very reliable. Again Belli might be able to help or recommend. Hans too a Swede and retired airline pilot might be able to keep an eye on it.

However Cartagena is one of my favourite cities and you will find it hard to leave!
inchcailloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 15:14   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Crikey Gord, you have a wealth of information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:38   #9

Thank you everyone for the input. One thing is certain is there is not a consensus.

Club de Pesca is confusing because their web site states max. length 9 meters which is not very big. My better half made a call to the marina and they informed her they can and do take L450 catamarans, but they will not take a reservation more than 4-5 days out. We are currently a month out. He said they do have availability for catamarans as we speak, but no guarantees later.

We plan a stop in Santa Marta, so we will check back in with Club de Pesca then. If they have no availability I'll move on down the recommended list. If all the marinas are full then will just leave the boat in Santa Marta for the month.
Old 14-09-2016, 16:04   #10

Boat: Frienship 40

Club de Pesca, Manzanillo Marina Club, Rosales, Naútica Integral surely will take good care of your boat. I have had boats on all of them and the experience has been good.
Navarca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 16:18   #11

Navarca, thank you for the information. We did get in and are currently in Club de Pesca. We like it there, it's very secure. The staff are very friendly and helpful. At night the marina is very quiet. Yes the water is a bit dirty, but they have full time guys who go around and clean the hulls as often as you want. At current exchange rates its $65 per cleaning for our Lagoon 450. We have them set up to clean every 2 weeks while we are away.

FYI, it's a private club so they exercise discretion on who is allowed to berth there.
Old 14-09-2016, 16:38   #12

Boat: Frienship 40

Glad you liked there. I am a member of the club but right now I am in Boston MA. , my boat is Mair, the blue hull s/v Friendship 40 right by the left of the bar. Hopefully I will see you when I return by the 20.
Navarca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 17:36   #13

At Club de Pesca now on a L38. Nice place. Secure. Limited dockage suitable for cats, but can accomodate a few.
Old 18-09-2016, 12:45   #14

Zoom in this pic to see the Naval impound yard. A number of sailing vessels secured there on big yellow moorings. I suspect most of those boats were run by folks dreaming of easy money....dream turned into a nightmare...AKA "How Not to Make Money While Cruising".

Attachment 131338
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160915_080347.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	131339  

Tags
cartagena