Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: What brand of inflatable to you own
AB Inflatable 3 25.00%
Carib Inflatable 4 33.33%
Other or none 5 41.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2010, 11:42   #1

Boat: Maxim 380, Stingo II
Send a message via Skype™ to GringoOnStingo
Carib or AB inflatable?

My crusty old inflatable is starting to give up at the seems and applying a daily dose of PVC glue is getting a little tiresome. Hence, I have started to look into buying a replacement. What I am after is either an AB or Carib, 3.1 m (10'6") and the lightweight construction. I cannot tell the difference between the two, so would like to know what others think. TIA
GringoOnStingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:02   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
John. I don't think you can go wrong with either. We did own a Caribe for many years and used and abused it all over the Caribbean and US coasts. It is still out there giving its new owner as great a service as it gave us. WG

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:11   #3

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
I believe AB has an alloy model that's lighter than fibreglass and look to be decent, but no experience with them.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:13   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
I have an alloy RIB, not AB, but there are a good bit lighter then GRP versions. Carib are on the heavy side anyway.
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 14:56   #5

Boat: Vandestadt ketch 42
I have an AB which came with the boat. I seem to remember an earlier post comparing both, with I believe an overwelming vote for AB. Never the less my AB is nearly nine years old and for the near three years I have had it it has worked very well. I am sure that the Caribe will also meet your needs, although if memory serves me well, the major complaint was that it was heavy and I believe had water ingress in difficult areas to get at and repair. I am sure others will add their personal experiences.

Best Regards

Alan
anglooff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 20:27   #6

Boat: Swan 56
I have a small alloy AB - well built and should last. A couple of (over-critical perhaps) comments.

1. The floor has a void which can be drained by a screw out bung. However, the only way water can get into this void is through the bung itself - which it does every time it rains because there is no seal between the aluminim floor and the plastic housing - daft design.

2. I have noticed the smaller AB models tend not to plane very evenly. The bow bounces up and down. I've been in a number of sub- 10(ish) ft models and have noticed the same - Seems not to be a problem with those over 10(ish) ft (not sure of the exact model size where this no longer happens)

3. I have thrown away the seat - if the seat is in place the metal edge works away at the hyperlon - almost went through in about 2 weeks with me before I noticed and put a patch on. I have a friend with a larger model who has had his seat in place for more than 2 years (he uses it daily) and no wear - so looks like only a problem on some models (perhaps because mine bounces along and his is very smooth on the plane???)
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote