Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2011, 12:58   #1

Can You Live without a Wet Locker . . .

I need the wet lockers space for a 45gal water tank...wondering how you guys cruise without a wet locker?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mon voilier 022.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	411.0 KB
ID:	34145  
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 13:05   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: can you live without a wet locker...

In larger boats I'd use the shower area... in this one I just chuck em down the stbd quarter berth space...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 13:18   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: can you live without a wet locker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
In larger boats I'd use the shower area... in this one I just chuck em down the stbd quarter berth space...
+1 about using the shower. This is what I do on my boat.

I've seen an engine room make a great wet locker. The heat dries everything quickly.
Old 27-11-2011, 13:27   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Can You Live Without a Wet Locker...

We've never cruised with a wet locker, but maybe that's related to where you are cruising. Back in my young days, living with my parent's in houses, we never had a "mud room". I never knew what a mud room was until I was visiting some friends that lived far north,- I think it was North Carolina! Houses in Fort Lauderdale don't tend to have mud rooms. If we are cruising in wet weather and we've been out on the deck in weather gear">foul weather gear, we usually leave these wet things in the cockpit under the dodger or hang them in the shower in the head below. Maybe there is an issue when wet is accompanied with cold. We don't cruise in cold places so we have no problem putting on wet foul weather gear to return to the deck. My best foul weather gear in the worst weather is my wet suit and it doesn't require any storage below. The wet suit is suitable as a wet ball on the cockpit floor and when the sunshine returns it dries on the rail. 'no wet locker for us.
Old 28-11-2011, 00:31   #5

Boat: Mason 53

G'day, Jobi. 45 gallons equals around 360 pounds of weight. From the pic, it looks like you are looking at a vertical tank. If that's the case, be mindful of the forces of that water when tacking when designing your structural supports for the tank. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 00:45   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by matauwhi View Post
G'day, Jobi. 45 gallons equals around 360 pounds of weight. From the pic, it looks like you are looking at a vertical tank. If that's the case, be mindful of the forces of that water when tacking when designing your structural supports for the tank. Cheers.

actualy I plane to instal 2 drums, one in the wet locker and one in the toilet...they are face to face.
will keep both as level as possible...I need this water for my intended voyage...unless I find a better option?

if this arrangement works out...I will build integral water tanks under the sink and on the oposit side under the stove.

thanks for any coments...I always learn from them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mon voilier 007.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	424.5 KB
ID:	34183  
Old 28-11-2011, 01:52   #7
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi View Post
actualy I plane to instal 2 drums, one in the wet locker and one in the toilet...they are face to face.
will keep both as level as possible...I need this water for my intended voyage...unless I find a better option?

if this arrangement works out...I will build integral water tanks under the sink and on the oposit side under the stove.

thanks for any coments...I always learn from them.
Seems a shame to lose such useable space as the Wet Locker (even if not used as such) and the Toilet (often doubles as the Wet Locker on boats).

What about flexible tanks? They make them long and flat, so could go under the bunks.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 03:50   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Seems a shame to lose such useable space as the Wet Locker (even if not used as such) and the Toilet (often doubles as the Wet Locker on boats).

What about flexible tanks? They make them long and flat, so could go under the bunks.
actualy its not so bad...my portapotty fits well under the stairway and I can hang things on a pole across the toilet and wet locker...remember this is a test and if I like the way the boat handles I will build permanent tanks as I said.
also it dosent show but the boat has more stowage space then it shows...really compared to an alberg 30 thise one has way more.

rgds
Old 28-11-2011, 04:07   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Most boats, even bigger ones, use the heads as a wet locker. An Oyster 485 I almost bought had hooks inside the engine compartment for that purpose. The boat I eventually bought does have a real wet locker, with drains and a heat outlet inside it. In the climate where I sail (UK, English Chanel, year round), we do get wet and the wet locker is a very desirable luxury. In warmer or dryer climates, it might be less essential.

I agree with others, however, about giving up space in the cabin for water tanks. You have not only structure to think about -- but trim!! All that weight above the waterline is going to harm stability in a 28 foot boat. I would get that tankage lower, if I were you -- have you investigated flexible bladder tanks?
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 07:39   #10

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood
Re: Can You Live without a Wet Locker . . .

dont need one we have a wheelhouse
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote