Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 07:06   #1

Can anyone give me suggestions thoughts or advice

This is a brand-new adventure for me !!! I want to move out of the cold Minnesota purchase a houseboat and move someplace warm being on a budget makes it a bit difficult. I would like to purchase an older Hallsport 40 to 50 feet long I am looking for any advice or suggestions as to what type of boat maker model or possibly what to stay away from? Also going from being in the house to a boat I'm sure there's a lot of things that I'm not thinking about if anybody could throw those ideas and thoughts my way it would really help me in my new undertaking. I'm 42 years old some of my friends think I'm crazy for wanting to do this I think you only live once!!! I realize living in a house we spend the first half of our life accumulating things and the second part of life getting rid of them so what's the point of hanging out to all my belongings and being somewhere I'm not happy let me know where you dock what state you're in and why you like where you live on your houseboat. I also have been a Professional massage therapist for the last 18 years wondering how I would be able to work what I do into my new houseboat living lifestyle. Weatherwise I prefer mid 70s not lot Of humidity and no snow Snow is pretty in a picture lol
Teachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:33   #2

Re: Can anyone give me suggestions thoughts or advice

Never heard of a Hallsport 40 or 50, and google didn't turn anything up, but...

If you want warm weather and low humidity, near a coast, the only places in the U.S. to find that are Southern California or Hawaii. Both with very high costs of living.

If you are willing to learn to love humidity, then that opens up the entire Gulf Coast, as well as the east coast up to about North Carolina or so.

But the bottom line is that there is very little on this forum about houseboats. You would probably do better to look for a forum that specializes in houseboats.

Good luck.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:37   #3

I meant houseboat not hallsport sorry
Old 08-05-2013, 08:38   #4

Re: a houseboat forum

Does anyone know if there is a houseboat forum out there I cannot find one?
Old 08-05-2013, 08:41   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Can anyone give me suggestions thoughts or advice

Look for a bed... they're more comfortable..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:45   #6

Boat: PT-11

are you drunk?
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:51   #7

Pardon me why would you say something like that?
Old 08-05-2013, 08:59   #8

Boat: PT-11

I'm just teasin' ya. But you wrote hospital form before you fixed it, and it was funny.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:01   #9

Check out houseboats on Yachtworld.com

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:04   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

I would recommend also looking at some powerboats. House boats are more or less boxes on the pontoons. They are pretty much for flat water only and not good at all in bays when the winds and waves pick up.

A smaller trawler (single engine displacing hull) will allow you more travel options while burning less fuel than a house boat. You might want to look at the Kentucky/Tennessee river area south east of Paducah, KY.

The 70 degree temperature will be an issue. Though you can travel from Paducah, KY to Mobile AL down the timtom, its not going to be low humidy but not too bad either. South in winter , north in summer.

The california delta west of Sacramento, has low humidity but is HOT in the summer, though it cools off at night. But not too bad in with winter and spring and fall are perfect. Despite being California, living on a boat in the delta need not be expensive.

Unless you have lots O money, Aim for a 40 foot or smaller. Operating costs and dockage cost more the bigger you go and are billed by the foot.

Best of luck to you.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:35   #11

Boat: Celestial 48

Houseboats most common it seems in South USA rivers and lakes (reservoirs). Some houseboats are flippin huge and expensive, but smaller cheap ones are around. I have always thought would be an option in the future (i.e., when we are older - either houseboat or RV).

Check this site (has some links within to forum sites):
Living On A Houseboat
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:23   #12
Armchair Bucketeer

Houseboats generally don't move from one place to another. Some can and do, even if only locally. Which is good news for buying on a budget as the moving around end of boats is what costs!, especially when you only have motors (and no sails). No moving means no need for any engine, although some do but won't be making long voyages (so don't buy in Arizona thinking can motor on down to Florida!, or cheaply truck it).A houseboat is the floating equivalent of an RV / Trailer.....and likely communities vary as well.

I would suggest starting off by renting in something of a size you can afford in a location that works for you - climate and business wise to see if you like it as you get a handle on local prices / whats on offer (likely to be a slow sell for you later - so buy with care). With a houseboat won't be too much boaty stuff to learn (mostly around not sinking from neglect / local weather conditions). Not familair with the US of A, but in the UK location of boat / the mooring defines the value of the boat as much as what the boat is itself Size / Condition / brand / age. In some places the moorings themselves are rarer than hens teeth and priced accordingly - so don't assume you can simply move a boat somewhere you like.

The above more about purpose built houseboats (bigger and better floorplan for dockside living) - but plenty of boats that have become Houseboats (liveaboards) for one reason or another, mostly centred around no longer being seaworthy enough to travel! Motorboats especially (with kaput engines) can make decent enough houseboats as more volume than yachts as the cost of replacement engines can be several times what the boat would be worth with working engines! hence them making a one way trip to the dock.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:36   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Houseboats generally don't move from one place to another. Some can and do, even if only locally. ...
I guess clarification by OP is required, as "houseboat" can refer to two different animals:

One is a small house built on pontoons or old barge and is tied-up staying same place. Not really a boat, but a house.

The other is more boat than house, more like a travel trailer boat with a motor. Some travel well on rivers, lakes and other protected waters. This was more what I was thinking, but don't know if that was what Teachick was thinking.
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2013, 11:21   #14
cruiser

If I were you, I'd be checking out powerboats located in Southern California. A 45-50ft powerboat is huge. Usually, there's no problem with living aboard part time to begin with in most marinas, but you'll most likely be put on a waiting list for full time live aboard status. Southern California offers the climate you're seeking.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:32   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
If I were you, I'd be checking out powerboats located in Southern California. A 45-50ft powerboat is huge. Usually, there's no problem with living aboard part time to begin with in most marinas, but you'll most likely be put on a waiting list for full time live aboard status. Southern California offers the climate you're seeking.
Southern California = $$$
Had a 50' slip in San Diego for almost a year and cost was about $800 a month. And that was cheap for the area (Chula Vista) and without extra $200+ a month live aboard fee. A 50' live aboard slip can easily cost over $1000 a month in Southern California. Wait list for cheaper moorings is a few years (I am on a mooring now) and living full time on a mooring is not easy.