Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2017, 12:11   #61

Re: Can 2 people live aboard and just be friends?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguy68 View Post
this must be referring to "sailing doodles" which I follow....a guy with two girls and two dogs, definately interesting viewing.
A perfect example of pimping out the girl, IMO. Would you find that video series interesting if she was not aboard?
jwing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-08-2017, 12:20   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwing View Post
A perfect example of pimping out the girl, IMO. Would you find that video series interesting if she was not aboard?

Um, yeah I would sort of.....the whole idea of sailing and cruising is a dream to me that I have never been able to fulfill. are the 3 of them just friends or is there some hanky panky going on behind the scene?
shyguy68 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-08-2017, 12:20   #63

Boat: lancer 36

can I live and cruise on a boat with my ex? mean no offense but I can't imagine even asking such a question, especially to a bunch of strangers who don't know either of you from adam. oh, and eve. but hey, if you get an answer you like, shyguy, execute and let us know how it works out.
jrbogie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-08-2017, 12:21   #64

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Shy guy, Here is the thing. Just do what you want to do. She is the owner of the boat and you are basically a helping hand on the boat. I don't see how that is any different the guys who own boats and take on crew for passage making.

The interesting thing will be how you resolve decision making. For example, the engine quits 200 miles from shore but it is up wind to the nearest port. Who makes the decision to sail downwind 600 miles for the next week instead of upwind for the next two days to three days bashing your brains out ?

If you are looking at it as just an adventure and you have no finances in this boat I think it can work. If you have the mental constitution that allows her being the owner and most likely the captain and you're just along for the ride ... why not. A lot of this equation depends on her nature. If she is the overbearing type or rub your face in it type there could be murder on the high seas. So I wish you the best of luck I hope you don't need a lot of luck but if that you know what hits the fan...just leave. Only thing you lost was time. You gained experience and hopefully got to see some cool places.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-08-2017, 12:52   #65

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
............ Yes, absolutely, it is possible for a man and a woman in a platonic relationship to share a cruising experience together. Those who claim that it is impossible are speaking from the myopia of their limited experiences...
How is it you think you know what experiences other people have?
Old 01-08-2017, 13:13   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Perhaps; but not likely.

However (true story):

Ned & June were best friends; so compatible that everyone said they should get married. They did, and within months divorced, but remained best friends.
Ned met Beth, fell in love and they got engaged. Beth moved aboard Ned’s 38' sailboat.
June & Beth became fairly good friends.
June lost her job, and had to give up her apartment.
June moved aboard with Ned & Beth.
June & Beth became even closer (best) friends, and the three lived together for about a year.
Ned was murdered.
June & Beth continued to live aboard Ned’s boat, until they were evicted for non-payment of boat loan.
June & Beth rented an apartment together, and continued to share accommodations for several years (maybe more). They continued to remain friends (and socialize with) with their (& Ned’s) former dockmates.
We moved, and lost track of them.
So were June & Beth able to remain Platonic Friends?
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-08-2017, 13:16   #67

Quote:
I can tell you this much for sure:

Yes, absolutely, it is possible for a man and a woman in a platonic relationship to share a cruising experience together. Those who claim that it is impossible are speaking from the myopia of their limited experiences...
I agree. It is possible...and people win the lottery but dumping your retirement money into lottery tickets has better odds than this plan.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-08-2017, 13:44   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
How is it you think you know what experiences other people have?
I don't. But I know for sure that a person has not experienced something that he/she believes is impossible to experience.
Old 01-08-2017, 13:52   #69

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
So were June & Beth able to remain Platonic Friends?
Wifey B: June and Beth were never platonic friends.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-08-2017, 14:03   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguy68 View Post
Um, yeah I would sort of.....the whole idea of sailing and cruising is a dream to me that I have never been able to fulfill. are the 3 of them just friends or is there some hanky panky going on behind the scene?
If you are interested in learning about sailing and cruising, there are dozens of sailing vlogs that are orders of magnitude better than Sailing Doodles. Try Sailing Emerald Steel.

Of course, if you want to vicariously boat bar-hop with a big-boobed young ditz, then Sailing Doodles is your ticket and may indicate that the nay-sayers to your original question are right.
Old 01-08-2017, 14:20   #71

Boat: Rafiki 37

Please please PLEASE move onto a boat with your ex-girlfriend and record it. I'd definitely watch (for the 3 or so episodes that it lasted)
Old 01-08-2017, 15:11   #72

Boat: Jeanneau 371

Quote:
I can tell you this much for sure:

Yes, absolutely, it is possible for a man and a woman in a platonic relationship to share a cruising experience together. Those who claim that it is impossible are speaking from the myopia of their limited experiences...

The rest is speculation:

...and, probably, puritanical viewpoints.

The fact that you are exes may be an advantage; you should be already aware of each others' strengths, weaknesses, idiosyncrasies, and tolerance/intolerance to them. The fact that you are "...just friends, not even the best of" is a huge red flag slapping you upside the head. Why would you want to try to live on a boat with somebody who is not the best of friends, without sex to form a bond? Since you've already decided that sex did not form a sufficient bond and you are currently less than the best of friends, I guess that your time together will not be satisfying.

However, the adventure might be worth the cost, so I'm thinking that you should go for it. BUT don't invest anything that you are not willing to completely lose (because you probably will), including your mediocre friendship. Same advice to her.

PS - the whole sailing for video Patreons schtick is over-done, over-saturated and not lucrative except for a lucky few. Since you don't care about getting laid, I'm guessing that your ex is too old to pimp out for click-bait. What will you do to attract and retain viewers that hasn't been done a hundred times already?
For Gods sake Sex is not everything in life. I had an Uncle who married and was told shortley after the marriage by his wife, "I'll have non of that hanky panky" He did not but were together for close on 55 years.
Deltasailor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-08-2017, 15:18   #73

Boat: Jeanneau 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
Shy guy, Here is the thing. Just do what you want to do. She is the owner of the boat and you are basically a helping hand on the boat. I don't see how that is any different the guys who own boats and take on crew for passage making.

The interesting thing will be how you resolve decision making. For example, the engine quits 200 miles from shore but it is up wind to the nearest port. Who makes the decision to sail downwind 600 miles for the next week instead of upwind for the next two days to three days bashing your brains out ?

If you are looking at it as just an adventure and you have no finances in this boat I think it can work. If you have the mental constitution that allows her being the owner and most likely the captain and you're just along for the ride ... why not. A lot of this equation depends on her nature. If she is the overbearing type or rub your face in it type there could be murder on the high seas. So I wish you the best of luck I hope you don't need a lot of luck but if that you know what hits the fan...just leave. Only thing you lost was time. You gained experience and hopefully got to see some cool places.
I agree, go for it. Many husbands maintain a low profile and let the wife thinks she knows how the boat/engine/cooking works? let her live a bit and you enjoy.
Deltasailor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-08-2017, 15:47   #74

one in every port...me and a friend "male" sailed for 3 months and he would promise a girl everywhere we stopped that she was going with us ..we left more than one port in the middle of the nite.. lol
jim321 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-08-2017, 16:10   #75

Boat: Pearson

NO! spread your wings, hoist your sail, free your mind....