Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2009, 04:23   #1

Boat: Currently boatless
Cameras on Board - Advice?

This question came as I was reading another thread. We are trying to become cruisers and intend to cross oceans. I am a camera junkie. I have a digital SLR Nikon and 2 lenses that I had figured on taking with me, but I am now wondering if that is such a good idea. I will obviously use discretion depending on where I am, but will this be most of the time? Do cameras of any type draw too much attention? I also have a little cheapie digital camera. Any thoughts on this?
Soon2BCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:27   #2

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
I would have thought any outward signs of wealth in certain locations arnt a good idea, so Its not about what you got but how you keep it safe
Old 04-08-2009, 04:38   #3

Discretion is the better part of valor. Take both and use appropriately.

Digital pocket cameras which 10 or more Mpix AND all the digital manipulation can do wonders, but there is obviously a role for the big guns.

I gave up the SLR years ago for the convenience. Not being a pro, it was a good choice as I rarely ever print a photo.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:23   #4

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner
I use the D90 professionally, and always have a couple of cameras on boats. I now also use a pocket camera because they are so good. The question of drawing attention is up to the individual, but the same question applies to many other things on the boat. Are you going to keep a scruffy boat, just because you are likely to be going to scruffy areas?
Another consideration regarding expensive cameras is to ensure you keep them in a padded case, in a dry locker.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:48   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
...The question of drawing attention is up to the individual, but the same question applies to many other things on the boat...
I agree. If you find yourself someplace where a camera is going to attract criminal intentions, you're in the wrong place no matter what you have with you. Thankfully, those places are few and far between where we've cruised.

More of an issue is "camera etiquette". In many cultures, taking photos of people without their permission is considered extremely rude and unacceptable, and can trigger a strong reaction.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:34   #6

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Go oggle launched their street view in uk a few months ago and not without a lot of hassle.

It seems quite a lot of people dont want the front of their houses posted on the net, and in one case, a pic of a guy leaving a sex shop had to be retracted after his complaint.

It was thought the pictures might give detailed information to criminals about the type of windows and burglar alarm types which are mounted on the street side of most homes.

Its not just the Aborigines who object to photographic attention.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:27   #7

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
I take a DSLR, a point and shoot and underwater camera when I go sailing, even chartering and have never had a problem. As you said, use your common sense.

I use a dry bag to keep my DSLR dry, but this does not provide shock protection. I've never used them, but I know some photographers swear by the little moisture absorbant pouches you can throw in with camera gear.

As I'm sure you know, your choice also depends on your end use. I'm amazed at how far point and shoots have come. After being frustrated with a cheaper one, I bought a cannon power shot. In terms of just having vacation photos, it suits my needs fairly well. They certainly fall short of the mark for some shots or applications and for anything going into print or stock.

If you are out for any length of time, consider your image storage solutions - will you be downloading them onto a computer - maybe backup flash drive for at least the best ones or if you have internet access upload them to a photo site. That way you have them if you loose everything else. If not, spare memory cards.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:37   #8

I used to carry a point and shoot camera, but frustrations with shutter lag while photographing orcas resulted in my going the DSLR route. I have a "lightweight" Nikon D70s with an 18-200 lens and a "heavy weight" D200 with a battery pack and two lens. Everything (and my laptop) fits into LowePro bag that is just right for carry-on.

If I was traveling outside of the PNW, I would probably use my P&S.

Jack
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:47   #9

Olympus makes a nice pocket digital with underwater capabilities. When my current Canon gives it up, I will probably get one.
TexSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 00:50   #10
TOM

Boat: Footloose 40 steel cutter
We just purchased the new Canon powershot D10 .Waterproof to 10 metres and shock proof ,so far we have been very impressed as well as taking great pics and videos it feels realey solid and well built. We also have an exspensive JVC video recorder but find that we just never use it as it is just too much trouble to keep dry and free of sand.A few grains of sand can destroy an exspensive SLR.With the canon we just rinse it off and dry it.
TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 01:29   #11
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
As you probably know better than me, the quality of a photo is directly related to the quality of the lenses and the ability to frame properly, more than digital processing power.

A SLR with proper viewfinder and changeable lenses will give you those choices.

For me …it is a “no –brainer”

I bought the boat to take me to the places that still retain their natural beauty and when alone in a pristine anchorage, I bought my Nikon DSL 100 to capture that beauty.

I think you answered your own question:

When sightseeing in a crowded market a cheap pocket Kodak digital is more practical and the Nikon stays in a waterproof/fireproof safe that nobody will find.

I could not have taken framed this photo with the Kodak
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Halsey Prawns DSC_0033.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	374.7 KB
ID:	9197  
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:11   #12

Boat: Currently boatless
Thanks for all the help. My camera is a go and I will take the little point and shoot as well.
Soon2BCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:17   #13

With all due respect Pelegic, you could take that picture with a inexpensive digital camera.

Every image in my gallery was taken with a $150 point and shoot digital camera. Have a look.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:34   #14

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
We use both point and shoot and Digital SLR cameras.

The type of shot that you are taking will determine the camara that we use.

A Digital SLR with telephoto is helpful with shots like these:

http://www.maxingout.com/captainslogarchive55.htm
http://www.maxingout.com/captainslogarchive57.htm
http://www.maxingout.com/captainslogarchive91.htm
http://www.maxingout.com/captainslogarchive40.htm

A Digital SLR with macro lens is helpful with shots like these:
http://positivebutterflies.com/White_Morpho_7.htm
http://positivebutterflies.com/Blue%20Morpho_8.htm
http://positivebutterflies.com/Butterfly_head_8.htm
http://positivebutterflies.com/Malachite%202%204.htm

A point and shoot is great for general scenery and photos in high risk areas where you don't want to lose an expensive camera.

I have one point and shoot and two Nikon digital SLR cameras.

Home

We never had any trouble carrying our big cameras anywhere in the world, but we are very careful about shooting people. We find that as long as we aren't shooting people or government buildings, nobody cares what we shoot. We also carry our cameras in waterproof bags when going ashore.

Photography makes cruising more fun. It makes it easier to tell cruising stories and gives you something to do everyday that is a challenge. I wouldn't enjoy cruising nearly as much without my photographic challenges. Since shooting digital is free once you have the camera gear, you take more shots that result in great photos.

Since web sites are relatively inexpensive, you can put up as many photos as you want for family and friends.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:55   #15

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Fifteen years ago, we were the big attraction at a wedding in Penhryn Island (Northern Cooks) because we had a polaroid camera, and could make instant recordings of the people. They had 35mm cameras, but it would be weeks before the film could be sent off island for processing and return.

Ten years ago, we had the first digital cameras, and were popular in remote Indonesia, because we could make a poor quality print on the boat and return the next day.

So how far has the technology gotten in the remote places of the world today?? Do you download your shots on the village laptop, or does everyone have the internet? Or would color prints of the family still be much appreciated?
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote