Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 19:18   #1

California Liveaboard Marinas

My husband may be transferred to Carlsbad California and I am in search of any Marinas in the area that welcome liveaboards.
Thank you for your help.
Holly
hollyluke73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 21:16   #2

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!
Oceanside is the closest to Carlsbad, but when I lived in the area, it was a ridiculously long wait to get a slip there (something like 9 years, if I remember right). As for liveaboard, I think it's more 'sneakaboard' for the folks who actually do it. I'm not sure if they do have official liveaboards. San Diego and Orange County have liveaboards, but it wouldn't be practical if you have to commute to work in Carlsbad. The traffic on the I-5 is pretty horrendous.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 21:27   #3

Boat: Islander 36
So that your thread does not die young...

I Googled
carlsbad marina slips
and got more than I expected.

I had my boat in Oceanside many years ago. It was a bit of a washing machine back then. That should be completely useless information. I mean.. it was about 30 yrs ago.
Old 06-01-2011, 21:42   #4
cruiser

you might want to change the title or create another thread and be more specific about location...

california is huge... and they act like different states, i.e. no cal and so cal

even los angeles and san diego are disconnected...i dread driving 1-1/2 hours to san diego
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 21:52   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
all the marinas i know in sd have 4-10 yr waiting lists. good luck and smooth sailing... moorings are a diferent story, however....... san diego mooring company is the one with whom to speak-- they also have 2 marinas--might have a shorter list as they are newish.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 22:32   #6

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Typically, marinas in California limit liveaboards to 10 percent of berths. You may want to try the central California inland delta where demand isn't so high.

Remote Alaskan marinas could be a better bet.

The commute would likely be an issue, however.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:21   #7

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Early last year I looked at San Diego marinas, but not as a live aboard. Most had space. The recession has changed that situation significantly from a few years ago when it was impossible for some locations. Don't know about Oceanside.

Two ways to find them. If you have ActiveCaptain, look them up geographically. Most marina listings have phone numbers. The other way is to go into www.thelog.com and click on the marinas tab.

As others have said, many liveaboards never declare that intention and are "sneakaboards'. Some marinas don't care but others do.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:31   #8

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Had a guy I met a couple years ago, lived on the hard in his boat, as he worked on it for a couple years.. said the rent for being on the hard in the back of the marina was less than a slip..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 04:37   #9
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Look for private marinas rather than municipal ones. The privates can have a higher liveaboard population. Gov owned marinas by law are only allowed 10 percent and anyone after that will have to sneakaboard.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 17:22   #10

Re: California Liveaboard Marinas

I lived aboard for a great many years in Oceanside Harbor. They only allow 10% of the harbor to be live aboard and that number is also split up between different size boats. When I bought my boat there I got my live aboard status at the same time i registered as a slip renter. Granted that was a long tim ago and it was a 27' Columbia. Beautiful harbor though. Good luck.
firemann2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 20:03   #11

Boat: Pearson 281

Sneakaboard gets a bit tougher of course as marinas switch to electric keys that actually clock an owners' commings and goings... these are getting more common. I was in one where they checked cars but after three days I would just park the car a couple of blocks away. The hallmark of my current marina (beyond the inner-harbor pollution and filth and toxicity) is a live and let live attitude... as long as you pay your rent on time, keep it legal you can live there.
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 20:21   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I kept my boat in Alameda and commuted to it when my son and his family lived in the Bay Area. When they moved to Carlsbad thought I'd just move my boat south but ended up sailing it home because of the unavailability of slips in Oceanside. When I checked last year, the waiting list was close to ten years. Believe you can buy a boat already in the marina and keep the slip, however. Don't know about live aboards.

In San Diego, a couple of new marinas have come on line and the poor economy has eased the slip situation. Slips were expensive, though, almost twice the $300 a month I was paying in Alameda. San Diego is also almost an hours drive from Carlsbad. You'd be going against the rush hour traffic so might be able to cut that time down. My Daughter in Law works in Downtown SD and commutes via the train. If your husband's new work place is close enough to the train station so he can walk or bike, it makes for a rather pleasant commute.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:17   #13

Hi everyone....!!
Thanks for allowing me to share my forum and my passion.

I am a professional man. 58 years old. Former boat owner.
I am working Monday through Thursday in the San Diego area..and spend my weekends in Palm Springs. I am looking for a boat to babysit for four nights every week in San Diego. What I mean is that I need a place to sleep and relax everyday for a few hours. I am currently staying at a motel every week, but I would love to spend that time on a boat. I am by myself...I could do minor cleaning and maintenance while I am on board. I eat out. All I need is a head and a shower and a bed and a TV.
So..If anyone wants help with expenses and you are not on your boat during the week..I would love to be the "babysitter". I would be willing to pay $600 a month for this opportunity. That could help pay for your slip each month...with no downside.

If you or you know someone willing to try this arrangement let me know
rossbecker@tvnewsmentor.com
tvnewsmentor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california, liveaboard, marinas