Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-12-2010, 16:21   #61

I don't know if the OP has found a marina or not yet, but here's an idea. It's not the delta but it is Vallejo.
Welcome to Paradise at Glen Cove Marina, Vallejo, CA | GlenCoveMarina.Net

According to them, liveaboards are welcome. I don't have any experience with them and would like to hear from anyone who has.

Old 24-12-2010, 08:36   #62
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawnaw2000 View Post
I don't know if the OP has found a marina or not yet, but here's an idea. It's not the delta but it is Vallejo.
Welcome to Paradise at Glen Cove Marina, Vallejo, CA | GlenCoveMarina.Net

According to them, liveaboards are welcome. I don't have any experience with them and would like to hear from anyone who has.
Glen cove is a nice little marina, tucked away between the hills of Vallejo..
Just past the bridges and the sugar plant on the north side..
Tried to get in once but ran aground going in... but that was a couple years ago..
My only concern would be the high winds of summer blowing through the channel .. the streights in that area are known for that......

Old 01-02-2012, 05:35   #63

Re: California Delta Liveaboards

I just recent closed a deal upon a 1990 34' Pace Arrow class A motorhome.
It belongs to the owner of the company I work for in Alaska and last summer while it was in Alaska they paid me to go through it completely for a long road trip south to Yuma AZ, new batteries, a solar panel array, new brakes, a roof seal job, AC repairs and some minor interior work.

After it was driven to Yuma the owner for some reason now feels compelled to sell it and me having worked on it recently and as his employee for the last 17 years we made a deal, for now it stays in Yuma on his ranch, next winter when I am seasonally laid off here in Alaska I will fly down there, naturally being closer to the San Joaquin Delta I may yet drive the RV there and try again to look for the lucky deal of a boat, but its almost a flip of the coin should I instead head to Galveston or Florida.

The turnoff of getting into boating in CA is CA itself, a dying state with too much regulation, Florida offers more freedom though it can have weather issues, Texas may be a good compromise as long as its away from Houston as it has seriously gone downhill, I have lived there for four years, since Katrina it has gone rotten with refugees.

Now I have an onshore mobile living quarters, now to decide where to hole up for the next stage of the project and what kind of boat. I'm pretty sure it will wind up being the west coast of Florida as storing the RV there is cheap during the summer when I am working in Alaska.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:38   #64

Boat: 1962 28' Pearson Triton

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
It's those boat owners who can't (or won't) pay for insurance whose boats pose the greatest risk to thier neighbors and marina. Anybody that cheap probably owns a POS and is skimping on maintenance to boot.
That's a gross generalization. I have liability insurance because the marina where I keep my boat requires it. When I leave the states to go cruising, I may drop that insurance. But I can assure you my boat is well maintained and is not a POS.
1962 Pearson Triton, #318
Triton318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 23:40   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebek1 View Post
Anyone living aboard in the California Delta? Any liveaboard friendly marinas you can recommend?

I live in New Bridge Marina at the foot of the Antioch (Hwy160) bridge.
Their are about 15-20 permanent liveaboards and they do not charge extra for living here. I pay 220.00 for a 35ft covered slip. PG&E is up to you. Water is free.
Nice shower rooms and a pool. Lots of vacencies, just don't say you are living aboard, the harbormaster looks the other way and just doesn't care.
Great place to be and the Bridge Marina Yacht Club serves great food.
Old 20-04-2012, 09:09   #66
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spang4 View Post
I live in New Bridge Marina at the foot of the Antioch (Hwy160) bridge.
Their are about 15-20 permanent liveaboards and they do not charge extra for living here. I pay 220.00 for a 35ft covered slip. PG&E is up to you. Water is free.
Nice shower rooms and a pool. Lots of vacencies, just don't say you are living aboard, the harbormaster looks the other way and just doesn't care.
Great place to be and the Bridge Marina Yacht Club serves great food.

correct me if I'm wrong BUT isnt Bridge Marina all covered, wooden slips, and the marina is 4 feet deep if lucky on a high tide.. and the last time I headed over to the Yacht Club, I believe I saw some of the sheads falling apart.. And being a "Sneek Aboard" is not a lifestyle I would care to want..

there are many liveaboard marinas in the delta.. Owl Harbor has taken a transformation and is looking good sence the new owners took over.. and they are promoting the Delta Doo Da..
as for upscale marinas, we keep one of our boats at "Willow Berm" on the Delta Loop.. R3 is our FIRST 42 and we keep it at OxBow on the Georginia.. OxBow is now advertising "liveaboard Paradise" in local mags..
I dont think they get anybetter than OxBow.. as its a resort Community..

Tags
california

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: