Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2010, 11:17   #16
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
But theres over 1,500 miles of waterways to travel up here.. much of it under sail...
And almost all of it about an 1/8th of a mile wide...
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 13:27   #17

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
And almost all of it about an 1/8th of a mile wide...
there are places that are smaller than that, but looking out my back yard, the river is about 2 miles wide for almost 20 miles... but even at 1/8 of a mile, how much room do you need to sail your boat.. My 42 is only 14 feet wide so 1/8 of a mile is more than enough..
inclosed are a couple pictures of the area where I race and sail.. right off Pirates Lair.. just a wee bit wider than 1/8 of a mile..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0001.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	209.1 KB
ID:	12802   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0002.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	12803  

Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 13:56   #18

Quote:
For those of us that live here, we dont have to defend it, me for one, all those strict regulations keep our water clean, and the fishing good..
It does look like a great place to sail. And yes, the boats should be kept in sailing condition. I witnessed marinas in Texas where 1/2 the boats couldn't escape the harbor during hurricane season. But forcing one to get boat insurance? No pets?

How far from the bay are you Randy?
Trebek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 13:57   #19

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
If Trebek doesn't like the rules in California he would really hate Hawaii!
regards,
Old 24-01-2010, 15:12   #20
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebek1 View Post
Seems like California is a bit strict. Thanks for the info. This is all I needed to know. I can handle being responsible, but from what I hear about California li^eaboard regulations.... I'm going to switch my plans to the East Coast of America, since many of those states can afford to allow people some modicum of freedom. Damn, I hope your state continues to go broke and maybe your President learns to run your society, a bit more intellengently. EAST COAST BOUND FOR ME......
wow.

how very snarky... you do that why don't you, head for the east coast... because we have NO shortage of people here who are willing to deal with our regulations.

Of course the east coast has the SAME president... and all of the states are following California's lead in conserving resources, cleaning up public land and water and preserving a higher quality of life for all of us.

man.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 20:43   #21

I completely deserve that Sara. I realize my comments can be taken to be as a slight to your great state. But it does seem like many of your excess regulations are taxing the Middle Class out of existance. While your poverty increases. This is why your beautiful state is broke.

I still might disgrace your state for a summer in the Delta though, it seems like some decent cruising grounds. I'll just bring a bag in case the dog poop police catch me while walking my dog.
Old 24-01-2010, 20:46   #22

Hawaii is a nice place Skiprjohn. All the beaches are open to the public, as they should be. The marina in Waikiki had decent rates, no obscene waiting list, li^eaboard friendly. Way nicer than the California scene...
Old 25-01-2010, 08:20   #23

Quote:
It does look like a great place to sail. And yes, the boats should be kept in sailing condition. I witnessed marinas in Texas where 1/2 the boats couldn't escape the harbor during hurricane season. But forcing one to get boat insurance? No pets?

Trebek,
The insurance is looked upon to be the right decision from the the boaters as well as the owners.. as I mentioned earlier, a propane tank blew at pirates lair on the delta loop a few years back, and a good number of boats were lost, damage was in the hundreds of thousands and the people that had the boat walked away and didnt have insurance.. Many other boater lost mucho bucks on that deal.
Another insident happened just last week.. As most know, I own the canvas shop here in the marina, and I was called out after the storm and 60 mph winds we had here to fix a bimini on a boat.. It had come lose on one side of the boat and flipped over the boat and landing on the boat next to it. A 45 foot Silverton.. bueatiful boat.. anyway, the bimini, over 12 feet wide, was still attached to the first boat, but the stainless frame was setting up against the second, and in the storm, with boath boats rocking up and down, it dug a trench down the side of the boat and across the glass..
The glass is damaged, the fiberglass is damaged, the window frame is damaged, and to just wildly guess, I would think there is a somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 to 5 thousand dollars of repair on the Silverton..
Not counting the 4 to 5 thousand dollars I'll charge to replace the bimini and inclosure on the first boat..
So, lets say the guy in the first boat, a 45 foot bayliner motor yacht, has no insurance and his boat was in the slip next to yours.. and he did 3 to 4 thousand in damage to your boat..
You are going to be out for blood...
By the way, My liaibility is only 300 a year.. pretty cheep..
Old 25-01-2010, 08:28   #24
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
But forcing one to get boat insurance?
It's those boat owners who can't (or won't) pay for insurance whose boats pose the greatest risk to thier neighbors and marina. Anybody that cheap probably owns a POS and is skimping on maintenance to boot.
Old 25-01-2010, 08:33   #25

Quote:

By Car,about an hour away in good trafic, by boat, Maybe 8 hours..
We uasally take a couple days and stop to visit the different Yacht Clubs along the way..
And not to joke about it, but, picking up after you dog is one of my pet pieves... I dont own a dog, and dont feel its right, for me, to have one on the boat, but right behind my business is a small park, with equeptment for the kids to play on...Its also the neighborhood dog area and many have their kids and dogs out playing in the summer..
But what gets me, when my grankids come to visit and go out to the playground to play, and one of them comes in with dog crap on thier shoes or thier pants, from some inconsiderate a**hole.. I think they both should be shot.. but thats another thread.....
Old 25-01-2010, 08:38   #26
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
don't do us any favors

Quote:
I still might disgrace your state for a summer in the Delta though, it seems like some decent cruising grounds. I'll just bring a bag in case the dog poop police catch me while walking my dog.
I've never heard of a marina that didn't require its tenants to be insured. And I'm sure not hearing any of my California neighbors saying, "Dude, bring your dog and your uninsured boat to my marina. There's an empty slip on my fairway."

I find myself in total agreement with the conclusion that you'll probably be happier in Texas.
Old 25-01-2010, 10:31   #27

Quote:
So, lets say the guy in the first boat, a 45 foot bayliner motor yacht, has no insurance and his boat was in the slip next to yours.. and he did 3 to 4 thousand in damage to your boat..
You are going to be out for blood...
By the way, My liaibility is only 300 a year.. pretty cheep..
You make many good points. 300 per year isn't much for a 42 foot boat. And if my dog craps where people are liable to play or walk, of course I'll pick it up.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:48   #28

I'm tossing leaves in the air here, I am interested in what the Delta is like nowadays.

Back in '66-68 when I was a young teen I spent a couple of years in a trailer park in the middle of Bethel Island, on Gateway Rd. I think, the park was next to Connors Ranch and there was a new golf course behind it, I made money picking up the golf balls and also mowing lawns in the trailer park, one of my school friends was named I think Frank, kinda funny because his dad owned Franks Tract marina, many times I was invited to go cruising or catfishing with friends or neighbors and traveled through a lot of the sloughs. There was an elderly gentleman in the park that had a wooden boat on blocks, it was maybe less than 30', I helped him work on replacing the flooring, I was about 12, I think he passed away one night, his boat never finished. Lived in a tiny trailer just barely long enough for a bed.

Maybe I'm having an epiphany but I cannot get rid of the image of a huge boat that must have been over 40', you know when you are a kid everything is bigger and here I am 53 and I feel this tug to return to Bethel Island for some reason. I have heard there was a bad meth problem around there, well I am in Wasilla, Alaska and its nothing compared to what I have seen around here.

I have been seriously looking for a winter liveaboard, I have spent many years living in Calif. before I move to Alaska back in 1992 but after so many winters I'm getting tired of being shut in and not working through the winter, I'm a heavy equipment mechanic, diesel, hydraulic, electrical, fabricator, welder and I drive concrete mixers. I can do anything on a boat except drive it right off and tear apart complicated electronics, I have steered the Tahoe Queen up at Lake Tahoe during my shifts when I was the chief engineer but thats just a big circle at night for the dinner cruise, heck of a job I have to admit. Not much on anything smaller, but I never drove a mixer truck until I had to, now I am the supervisor that trains the new hires.

I keep seeing the old Chris Crafts in Craigslist down there, I know, its a woodie and most yards won't even haul an old one out. I am fully aware of an intensely good buyers market in Florida but I really do not want to be that far from Alaska and to have to live on pins and needled when a big storm might come through and I'm 5200 miles away. I have lived in Houston Tx, I do see occasional boat deals down there, I could easily get a winter job if necessary, living is cheap and usually with minimal restrictions.

I'm basically concerned about is this, is California a hopeless cause? All I hear and see on the news is bad bad stuff, no jobs, a governator gone bad, businesses moving out of state and nanny laws up the kazoo. Alaska is very conservative, I own guns, actually a lot of guns, ammo? my truck sags if I have to move it. Not that I need them, its just my lifestyle, all I hear is that your kids cannot even make gun signs with hands even. So in the grownup world whats the type of people around the marinas? Retired doctors? Is it ill advised to even consider buying an older boat, a big boat just because of the insurance requirements? I want at least a 40', I could tomorrow buy a 53' Hatteras in Florida for less than $40k, in running shape no less, but its too far away unless I admit thats what I must accept.

I have seen a fair amount of decent houseboats for sale in the Delta, perhaps a better choice? Then a more practical second vessel for fishing or sailing?
Silverado6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:39   #29
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Silverado,

Are you saying Wasilla is full of Meth problems?........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:57   #30
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Silverado,

Are you saying Wasilla is full of Meth problems?
He'll be right at home in the Delta.

Tags
california