Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2019, 08:25   #1

CAL 30 as a live aboard

Hello! First post.

Very seriously considering buying this sailboat as a live aboard. I live in Traverse city and plan to live on the hook. I think the galley style kitchen is absolutely ideal.

I am 5'10 so I will have some headroom. I am trying to figure out if I will be able to add a dodger/bimini. I have seen several CAL sailboats (29) with a bimini and I suspect that would require raising the boom. Anyone have any input on that?

This is a sailboat under 10,000. Is it the norm to do a survey with a boat this size? Do most live aboards carry insurance? Would a survey impact that?

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/196...dard%20listing

Thanks!
Jayzooom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2019, 06:05   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: CAL 30 as a live aboard

Doesn't it get chilly up there, starting around October? Something to consider. Cored boats might be easier to keep heated. Don't mess with the boom, other than perhaps using a topping lift or swinging it off to the side when the bimini is up. A Catalina 30 would offer a LOT more room for a liveaboard. https://www.boats.com/sailing-boats/...dard%20listing
A survey is always a good idea- you could learn something you didn't know about the boat that might be important, and could save you from spending $10k on a boat that needs another $10k to stay floating.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2019, 06:33   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: CAL 30 as a live aboard

Nice tidy boat.. I love those style galleys as well.
I would opt for an insurance survey while mast is down and it and rigging is easy to check out.. beats the usual dubious binocular check..
Re a liveaboard.. for me she'd do just fine.
Stick to just a sprayhood, bimini's are for pussies, at anchor rig a boom tent..
Welcome to CF.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2019, 06:38   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Just a quick not to say that I lived aboard a Cal 2-29 for 4 years. I was on a dock so shore power helped keep it warm in the PDX winters. I had a force 10 heater as well.

I'm 6' - you learn how to walk and after a short while never hit your head.
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2019, 07:17   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Jay.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2019, 07:17   #6

Boat: Cape Dory, Cutter,30

Great looking Cal30. Encapsulated keel, new Yanmar engine, great price. It looks well cared for. Ditch the curtains.
moctrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2019, 08:10   #7

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

Great looking engine. I'd get a survey. As previously said you may find a fatal flaw. The couple used boats I bought the survey allowed me to adjust the price for the third party analysis. Maybe not enough in this case, but still worth it, I think. As I recall. The Cal 30 you are looking at the main sheet leads from the end of the boom to the transom at an angle which eliminates a bimini. A boom cockpit tent while in port would work fine. Good luck!
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2019, 08:23   #8

Boat: Cape Dory, Cutter,30

You can always move the end boom sheeting forward.
moctrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 08:16   #9

first thing to go! haha
Old 19-07-2019, 08:37   #10

It is my impression that Cals are much more heartily made than Catalinas. Is that based on any factual evidence? Plan would be to redo all rigging - maybe move/reinforce chain-plates and do extensive cruising.
Old 19-07-2019, 08:50   #11

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayzooom View Post
Hello! First post.

Very seriously considering buying this sailboat as a live aboard. I live in Traverse city and plan to live on the hook. I think the galley style kitchen is absolutely ideal.

I am 5'10 so I will have some headroom. I am trying to figure out if I will be able to add a dodger/bimini. I have seen several CAL sailboats (29) with a bimini and I suspect that would require raising the boom. Anyone have any input on that?

This is a sailboat under 10,000. Is it the norm to do a survey with a boat this size? Do most live aboards carry insurance? Would a survey impact that?

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/196...dard%20listing

Thanks!
Great boats..... this one looks well taken care of. I learned to sail on a 1969 cal 2-30. Spent many summer nights sleeping in the aft quarter berth! Sails like a dream, fast, powered by the main. Hull is a similar design to the legendary Cal 40. My uncle converted to wheel......

Good luck!
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 08:59   #12

Budget some $$ for a new head. Those HeadMates were great, but they don't make them or repair kits anymore. A Raritan LBA gives you a new pump assembly and you use your old bowl.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 09:59   #13
Ita

Boat: CAL 36

I lived aboard my Cal 2-29 for 9 years in Florida ( AC instead of heater). Bimini is a must have. The problem is the shower drains into the bilge, you have to clean it after every use to prevent smell. I’m getting close to retirement now, so I moved to a Cal 36 for more extended cruise. Geico doesn’t require surveys for liability only insurance
Old 20-07-2019, 16:32   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ita View Post
I lived aboard my Cal 2-29 for 9 years in Florida ( AC instead of heater). Bimini is a must have. The problem is the shower drains into the bilge, you have to clean it after every use to prevent smell. I’m getting close to retirement now, so I moved to a Cal 36 for more extended cruise. Geico doesn’t require surveys for liability only insurance

So how do you clean that? Is it a huge pain? I would plan on showering inside while on the hook.
Old 20-07-2019, 16:45   #15

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

Just make a sump with a pump. My uncle had one made. The deep bilge gives some good options. Then no shower water �� in bilge. Be creative!

Greg
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal