Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2015, 21:33   #16

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Cal 29 adding an Enclosure plus more

For some more tips, in a corollary thread, you might want to do a bit of reading here Can I see your dodger? - Page 2 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:37   #17

Boat: O'Day 28

Cal 29 owner here. Thanks for the thread!
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:39   #18

Boat: Cal 29 29 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
I'm a hard dodger fan, big time. But that said, regardless of how you build your enclosure, it'd be wise to include a clear overhead panel or three. Either Acrylic, or Isenglass, depending on the dodger material. That way, you don't have to get out from underneath of the shelter of the dodger, in order to check your mainsail trim. Ditto on locating see through panels so that you can check headsail trim.

You can also inlet your companionway slider (lid) for a piece of Acrylic, or Polycarbonate, to serve the same purpose. And for all of my boats, I always made a replacement insert for the top 2+ companionway boards out of plywood, & bolted a piece of Acrylic over a cutout in it, to let more light in on those drab, dull days. It helps a LOT, especially in the Winter time.

It's also nice to have a dodger which extends about 3' aft of the companionway, so that you can sit underneath of it in all but the worst weather, & still reach all of the important sail controls. As well as keep watch, while staying dry & semi-warm.
Although, to make this work perfectly, you need an autopilor with a remote which you can operate from there, or while sitting in the companionway. So that you can steer around the worst waves, & use the best following ones to your advantage.

For easier companionway access with a dodger, if it's really low. Sometimes you can design them with a sliding, companionway type hatch lid, into the top of a hard dodger.
Or as something like a fixed wind screen, on say, a Malo, with a Cabriolet, canvas lid.
And for soft dodgers, you can incorporate a dual zippered panel, over the companionway.. Although on the latter, such requires a bit of creative tube design, in the dodger's bow structure.

I made a traveler for my Dad's 29, & it was further aft than yours. Just in front of the helm (his boat had a wheel).
Doing so is a simple mod.', & while it does break up cockpit flow a tiny bit. It lets you run a dodger which is deeper fore & aft, as denoted above.

That, & try attaching the mainsheet to the traveler car with a snap link (locking carabiner). So that in port, you can just clip the sheet over to the toerail somewhere, & have the cockpit 100% free of interfering lines.

For the showers thing, you could always make some zip in panels out of bug netting, or sun screen mesh, which fit inside of the Isenglas panels. Thus, you'd have some privacy, visually. To avoid a visit from Five-0 ;-)

Also, when choosing colors of canvas, it's tempting in the PNW to consider using something dark, in order to "help to warm things up". But my experience there has been that the Sun's rarely strong enough to accomplish this, even when using black.
Where as, with a lighter color, it brightens the enclosure up a lot, which definitely helps, mood wise, given the weakish Sun, up North. Especially from now until April'ish.
Maybe go with a beige, or light tan? And if you decide you want something darker, simply make a stout awning out of a used tanbark sail. They're cheaper than Sunbrella!

And if this is going to be a semi-permanent structure, build as many solid hand holds onto the underside & outside as possible. Like, say, a full length for & aft rail P & S, on the underside, inside. As well as grab bars on the back of the dodger; underneath, & on it's outside. As well as some fore & aft hand rails on it's outside as well.

If you do an online search for dodger pics (hard & soft), you'll gain a lot of good ideas. And I ran across some good pics of a hard dodger, by CKD Marine, in South Africa, made out of a few laminated layers of 3mm bending plywood.
IMO, hard dodgers are the way to go. Just be sure to make a "window" or three out of opening hatches. Preferably ones of the sort where you can fully remove the hatch's opening panel, simply by pulling a couple of fast/quick pins.

PS: The Sailmaker's Apprentice is worth WAY more than it's purchase price. You'll recoup that $ in your first DIY repair or project.
I have a soft dodger in place now but thank you for your suggestions. Should I need to replace it your considerations will be very helpful. Your suggestion of a light in the companion way boards is a good one as well as the many hand holds.
fossil 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:43   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
My 28ft pilothouse for some ideas.

P/house floor is dropped below cockpit deck to keep windage down.
Sliding hatch in p/house top.
Canopy completely encloses cockpit for cold,nasty wx, but has roll-up sides(now with windows) & roll-up back. Also has support bow& folds down on aft deck like a convertible car,or unsnaps for complete removal & stores under aft deck.
Galley in p/house leaves larger living area in saloon.
Not perfect but a decent amount of space in 28ft.

Attachment 112444

Attachment 112445

Attachment 112446

Attachment 112447

Attachment 112448
Wow I love your set up. Nice Pics they always help to visualize.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:46   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Cal 29 owner here. Thanks for the thread!
Its great to get fresh ideas. What a great bunch of sailors here,so helpful.

Tags
cal, cal 29, enc