Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2012, 03:29   #1

Buying a Boat in Turkey

Any body have clear information on "the process" of buying a Sail boat, 35 footer engine 30 hp In Turkey. I hear tales of "exams of competence" in the turkish language. And yearly tax on engines over a certain HP.
Just what do you need to do to buy the boat?
barry burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 04:12   #2

Re: buying a boat in turkey

Are you going to register it in Turkey?
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 05:17   #3

the truth is i dont know as yet. There is no specific boat in mind but preparation is advised.

it would depend if it was already registered in turkey. Would it matter if it was registered else where then?
Old 14-08-2012, 07:25   #4

Afaik,
Quote:
I hear tales of "exams of competence" in the turkish language. And yearly tax on engines over a certain HP.
is only applicable if you want to register your boat under the Turkish flag. As a foreigner, I'm not sure you would be able to do it.

You will need to comply to the rules of whatever country you'll be registering the boat with, not of where you're buying.
Old 14-08-2012, 07:34   #5

Boat: Whitby 42 - Esmeralda II

I was invited on a friend's boat in Turkey last year and his boat has the canadian flag, was purchased from a Turkish charter company, registered in Canada and no exam was requested from my friend. They pay a cruising permit every 2 years I believe and the boat remains in Turkish waters all the time. They may have to sail to a greek island once in a while just to exit the country but I am not sure about that. All together, I would say it is rather loose on regulations over there and a wonderful place to keep a boat safely in a wonderful climat.
Old 14-08-2012, 09:48   #6

thanks roland. now does anybody have anything to add to roland's reply.
loose on regulations? some folk say so some say it's loose till you get caught.
cost of cruising permit?

Presumably then the ICC international certificate of competance gained here i n the UK will suffice, ICC sounds like a RYA day skipper level exam if so why not use day skipper qualification.

So engine number not needed then nor boat number, insurance certificate, receipt of sale , certificate of VAT paid if appropriate (when isnt it?)
Old 14-08-2012, 10:30   #7

Boat: Whitby 42 - Esmeralda II

I would make certain I have proper identification of the boat in its country of origin, (Blue book in Canada), Turkish authorities will make sure your documents are current and they will request any missing information or replacement of expired certificate of registry for exemple. Marinas may request proof of insurance. The cruising permit is very affordable according to my friends there.
Old 14-08-2012, 12:38   #8

Cost of transit log is about 50 USD if the owner is on board and 200 USD if the owner is not (as far as I remember). You'll also pay some sort of a fee for use of an agent to get this transit log. Brokers and marinas usually know of an agent who will help you.

You can check all other formalities at Noonsite: Turkey
Old 15-08-2012, 01:19   #9

Thanks Roland and Katuisha.

"Noon site" web site is good for all formalities so ta for that Kat.

I now haVE AS COMPLETE A LIST AS POSSIBLE .

Barry
Old 15-08-2012, 01:45   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry burton View Post
thanks roland. now does anybody have anything to add to roland's reply. loose on regulations? some folk say so some say it's loose till you get caught. cost of cruising permit?
Barry, it would be worth having a search on here for Turkey and Greece rules etc for when you have bought the yacht, presumably you will want to visit Greece. Rules have been intruduced, then amended and finally ignored for some areas of Turkey ref cruising permits and discharge regulations. Worth a read up.

Quote:
Presumably then the ICC international certificate of competance gained here i n the UK will suffice, ICC sounds like a RYA day skipper level exam if so why not use day skipper qualification.
My understanding was the ICC was mainly to keep the French happy as they didn't accept the RYA qualifications and couldn't understand how the UK didn't have a licence system for yacht owners. Since it's only a half hour test I would do it before you go. You know what officials the world over are like, they want paperwork with pictures and stamps

Quote:
So engine number not needed then nor boat number, insurance certificate, receipt of sale , certificate of VAT paid if appropriate (when isnt it?)
Yes watch the VAT rate, Greece has just put their rate up I think. It will cost you on import to the EU if you move the boat into the EU even if it has been paid already because you bought the boat outside the EU. UK HMCR have a good website which explains a lot.

Have a read up on the UK Small Ships Registar (SSR). Personally I would register beforehand and take a Red Flag and the registration documents with me. De-register if its on a Turkish registration and the following day proudly raise the red duster at dawn.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 08:29   #11

Thanks Pete.

De registering if boat is Turkish registered?
Complicated, simple, costly, cheap?

BB
Old 08-12-2018, 07:14   #12

Re: Buying a Boat in Turkey

We recently purchased a boat in Turkey, this is our experience, hope it helps

chook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 12:33   #13
Cdn

Re: Buying a Boat in Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by chook View Post
We recently purchased a boat in Turkey, this is our experience, hope it helps

What is the agent cost you were referring too? Did you use a buyers agent? Isn’t that usually paid for by the seller?
Cdn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, Turkey, turkey