Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-03-2015, 21:39   #31

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch
Re: Buy outboard or buy better-rowing dinghy?

I mentioned Danny Green's Chamilian earlier. I have had a hard bottom inflatable with a 16 hp motor. Having to pull and winch motor and dinghy aboard was crazy. The chamilian weighs about 100 pounds total in wood, but it's nesting. The 2 halves weigh 50 pounds a piece. You throw the 2 pieces in the water jump in the back half bolt them together and your ready to row or sail. You only need a 2-3.5 hp motor to get on a plain and do 5-6 knots. Fuel thrifty. The whole thing will fit on the fordeck in a 4x5 ft space less than 2 ft high.

Construction
I bought 5 gallons of epoxy in Costa Rica glass, surf board glass in panama and built hours in a month in Ecuador.

Tools usual squeegees etc for glass. $7 saber saw from panama, a borrowed 7" sander, Palm sander, cordless drill.

Love sailing this boat. She really goes to weather.

We have a 40 gallon bladder tank and 12V transfer pump that fits perfectly with room to spare in the aft section for portaging water from shore. Also 4 jerry cans fits perfect in the bow. I've done both simultaneously in one trip with ours or motor. These boats rock!!!

I knew a guy who used corosil and vacuum bagged all his construction. The boat weighed 65 pounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 15-03-2015, 21:41   #32

More construction pics
http://www.mytripjournal.com/travel-...xy-horse-power

Old 15-03-2015, 21:54   #33

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Compared to a paddle board, this would be better for carrying laundry and provisions:

Old 15-03-2015, 21:58   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

I use a 9' fibreglass dingy, it rows like a charm. And a 3 hp outboard pushes it along just fine. I don't know about your local regulations, but hereabouts, anything less than 4 hp doesn't need to be registered.
Old 16-03-2015, 08:10   #35

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Thanks everyone for your thoughts! The chameleon is certainly showing pretty well! The longer wherries will, sadly, probably be a bit much for me, but would certainly be my top choice.
When I get to MD I'll check out Chesapeake and Chameleon. Is it worth getting the pieces precut? Is that convenience or do you save a bit of cash if Chesapeake buys the wood in bulk and is mostly making money off the plans?
As far as a canoe, I paddled whitewater kayaks and rafts and had friends who were into canoes. Looking at my boat though, I have less than a foot of room between the bulwark and boat structure, and canoes in my experience are generally wider so I don't think they'd fit my boat. I could never get them to speed single handed either, and the high sides without lateral resistance like a rowing dinghy I think would get pushed around easily from a wave on the now, no? I'd be interested to hear more of your experience.
As mentioned, I'm avoiding an outboard until I leave FL, where any motor requires registration. I think for the next two months in the Bahamas, it will be a kayak or portabote, with the big dinghy deflated until needed, then towed. It'll be nice having a foredeck again

Old 16-03-2015, 08:50   #36

I don't find they get pushed around by waves too bad, I'd take a canoe into some pretty rough stuff. In the attached pic, we didn't even bother unloading our gear for these rapids.

In your case if a canoe doesn't fit in the available space, it isn't a viable option. My 30 was tight space wise for it (17' in the pic- I use a 14' on my sailboat).

On my old 30 I laid it along the port side upside down at about a 45 degree angle. It meant I lost the option to go forward via the port side which would be a deal breaker for some, but for me the pros outweighed the cons, because they're just such versatile and capable boats. The boat did not interfere with the Genoa at all.

On my 35' storage is much simpler. I still keep it on my port side, but I can walk around it so I can go forward port or stbd side. I also have an 8' rib with a 9.9. I almost always use the canoe (the 9.9 is over 80lbs, not fun to put on or take off).

As far as getting a canoe to track- it's easy enough, you use a j-stroke, easily enough learned off You tube.

Windage can be an issue, and is the main reason I prefer a smaller boat for single handing, the shorter boats have proportionately lower free boards.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1426516432201.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	98939  
Old 16-03-2015, 09:03   #37

Nice! But you're making me miss the Potomac and Gunpowder while I'm enjoying the sun in Florida! I simply like too many water sports and haven't found a place where they are all on in season all the time!

Old 17-03-2015, 08:21   #38

One of my biggest trepidation a was building the chamilian from plans. What I found was that Danny designed the thing so well you really didn't need full size plans and you could easily lay out most of the parts with a piece of wood, pencil, and cut them out with a sabor saw in an afternoon.

Old 17-03-2015, 18:08   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

Naples Sabot or El Toro fiberglass hull. They are under 8 foot, cheap, sailable, rowable and motorable. An inflatable is not a rowing machine. I don't care what size, shape or inflation psi they don't row worth a darn and track badly as well as blow around like a balloon on the water.

Good luck in whatever you choose.
Old 17-03-2015, 18:18   #40

Thanks john, it looks like there's no shortage of design choices! Getting one that's six feet with good performance would be awesome. I'll look into those as well.
Adelie and ackopac, it's pretty funny. I'm in touch with the former owner of the boat (we've become friends and he's happy to see her voyaging), and he actually built a chameleon to replace the inflatable, so I know it would fit!
With all these options, I'm starting to think a sailing rig would be real nice too as Adelie mentioned. Luckily I'll have a few weeks of high speed internet as I work up the east coast to Maryland to look at all these designs!

Old 18-03-2015, 13:05   #41

Many of the people who built chamilians that inspired me tried sailing ours and came back trying to figure out how to retrofit theirs with a rig rudder and daggerboard. Seriously we sail ours more than we row or motor it. She sails great to weather

Old 19-03-2015, 07:36   #42

Here's some great ideas for dingies. Whatever you choose, make sure it's big enough to carry absolutely anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SchoonMaker_12.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	425.2 KB
ID:	99064   Click image for larger version

Name:	SchoonMaker_15.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	428.7 KB
ID:	99065  

Old 19-03-2015, 10:24   #43

That's an odd little trimaran/surfboard combo!
Paddled a canoe for about four miles yesterday in light breeze, found that the wind kept blowing me off so only one side of my body got a good workout! The canoe was probably too big, very beamy, and would sit back on the stroke.

Old 19-03-2015, 13:01   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
That's an odd little trimaran/surfboard combo!
Yeah. That's a winner. But no matter how many times someone sets it adrift whover owns it keeps bringing it back to the dingy dock. Well, not exactly. The owner's begun tying it midway between the dingy dock and the beach. I've never seen who owns it, but I've seen the junk on top which suggests it belongs to someone scraping out a marginal existence collecting stuff eventually sold at a recycling center.

I kid you not, this is a dingy dock at a public marina. The Whaler you see off to the right is only one of several over sized boats coming to the dingy dock almost every day. They create an awful log jam of boats. No enforcement whatsoever.

But what can one expect of Richardson Bay anchor outs in Sausalito? The only difference between a homeless encampment and Richardson Bay is in the encampment you can see the syringes, crack pipes, garbage and smell the urine/faeces. In Richardson Bay it all goes directly into the water.

Quote:
Paddled a canoe for about four miles yesterday in light breeze, found that the wind kept blowing me off so only one side of my body got a good workout! The canoe was probably too big, very beamy, and would sit back on the stroke.
Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum[/QUOTE]
Old 19-03-2015, 15:43   #45

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
After mooring in Garrison Bight and having a an hour and a half long row each way from the boat, I've gained a lot of respect from the other cruisers in the mooring field, and also a bad case of blisters on me bum
The thousands of feet from the mooring field to Garrison Bight Marina in Key West should not take an hour and a half.

My Edey & Duff Columbia dinghy rows like a dream. It works well w/ one, two or three adults. It also sails very well.

For my usage this is perfect. Now I can deploy or store as a one-person operation. There is no outboard to manhandle or fix. It is quiet and fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeltje View Post
I don't know the first thing about these boats, and I've never even seen one, but when I saw the pictures of the one towed behind the boat I bought, I fell in love with it, so I Googled it to death, and unless I find a used one at a reasonable price in the short term, I plan to build one myself within the next few years.

If you're really up to building your own, look at the glued lapstrake designs from Ducktrap. From what I've read, they're super light, super fast, and (like most wherries) designed to be launched from shore in moderate surf, so they should keep you relatively dry when rowing in a moderate chop.

Newbuilts usually run for upwards of $14,000. Materials end up costing around $ 3,000.

That also looks like a Columbia dinghy. It is very pretty.

The Walker Bay dinghys are lightweight, reasonably priced, durable and appear to row well.

The Trinka dinghys are very well built, look outstanding, are appropriately priced and also row well.

wingless is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, outboard

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: