Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 28-01-2014, 13:04   #16

Re: bunks that hurt!

Do not remove the fiddles entirely. Rather, I think you should hinge them, and instead of having them hinged so they fold down under the table, have them have the hinge (piano?) at the top inside where the fiddle meets the table. This way, they will not protrude as much, all the while being wider at the top (when "folded"), and they will work as fiddles too when that is needed.

Actually, come to think of it, remove the fiddles entirely, drill two holes in either end of the table (on top, vertically), and use dowels inserted in the fiddles that will fit into the holes you drilled in the table. Easily removable, and if you really want to make sure they do not fall out, you can use a small hasp or the like. If using a hasp only in one end, it would be prudent to have the dowels really long, so one side won't pop out when the other end is held down.

That, or you can sand down the fiddles almost entirely, just keep a wee bit, so they still work somewhat. I can't help but think that the most important one is the one at the centerline, whereas the other two aren't really that important compared to the one who keeps things there while heeling.

If you don't want to do either of those, go buy some closed cell sleeping mats, and clothe the entire bunk/table/settee set when you make the bed, in effect lowering the fiddles, relatively speaking.

I would try one or more of the above before I ordered new and thicker cushions.

Old 28-01-2014, 13:06   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Blasphemy, they painted it!!!! Most endearing about the boat was its industrial chic oxidized finish in WW. Your butt bottoms out and sitting on them for lengthy periods becomes uncomfortable. Harder foam could kill two birds and you wouldn't valve to have new covers made.
Boy, this website is doing weird things. The above was from a posting several weeks ago. No idea how it got inserted in this thread.

Didn't look at your boat information. When we we built our W32 table, purposely had minimal extension on the fiddles athwartship. Made the fiddle across the end of the table higher than stock so as bester to retain things. Seemed to work okay as we had no complaints and one guest slept on it for 2 months straight.

As far as removing the fiddles, depends on who built the table. There is no way anyone was going to take off the fiddles without destroying the veneer on the table, they were resorcinol glued as well as screwed. If it's a factory built boat, may may just be screwed on. In any case, unless the cleats to hold the table were installed so the table fit inverted, turning it over won't work. Might be easier to relocate those cleats so the table could be inverted, however. Same caveat goes for removing the cleats, they will probably be glued as well as screwed so you will be tearing up the veneer on the plywood if they were glued.

Old 28-01-2014, 13:20   #18

Boat: 2005 Catalina 350

Hing the edges our go buy a yoga mat or carpet squares and just cut them to fit in side the table

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 28-01-2014, 13:30   #19

Boat: 42' Sportfish

Fold a beach towel (or two, or whatever) to fill in/build up the space between the fiddles. Cushions on top of that.

-Chris
Old 28-01-2014, 13:32   #20

Boat: 1977 WESTSAIL 32 #731

All good ideas and thanks -
No the table does not flip over we tried that. I think re cutting the cushions with a notch in them might help so that the bulge is not extend upwards. I will also look into a more firm foam. The joys
Abrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 13:41   #21

Boat: 74 Westsail 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrain View Post
All good ideas and thanks -
No the table does not flip over we tried that. I think re cutting the cushions with a notch in them might help so that the bulge is not extend upwards. I will also look into a more firm foam. The joys
Don't overthink it. Something like this should help. Instant King Twin Bed Bridge - BedBathandBeyond.com Cut to fit or do as others suggested and just put a towel or something on top of the fiddles. You could also get pieces of Closed cell foam, like a thick gym mat or these floor tiles http://www.amazon.com/Exervo-Premium...oam+floor+mats

Put them under your cushions that you sit on (might make it more comfortable anyways, and put some on the table when you lower it. This will raise the cushions up without having to remake the damn things...and the covers. This is what I would do. Your fiddles look a bit higher than ours.

Or you could put a memory foam or latex foam topper on top when sleeping and roll it up when not in use. Not sure how cramped you are for space. That area for us is like 37" wide and 72" long. About a twin size anything will work.
Dani

http://sundownersailsagain.com
Danibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 14:17   #22

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Remove fiddles. Cut and screw lengths of piano hinge to fiddles. Install little brass eyes and hooks onto fiddles ends and sides as required. Now, when flat surface is required, release hinged fiddles. When fiddles are required, raise and secure with hooks.

Hardware mentioned above:
Old 28-01-2014, 15:02   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

Another suggestion: Cut the fiddles flush to the table top. Put dowels in what you cut off and then put holes in the table so you can install and remove the fiddles when you want.

Did someone say that already?
Old 28-01-2014, 15:16   #24

Boat: 1977 WESTSAIL 32 #731

Heck I am thinking SkipperJohn that you got something there.

Danibug that too is not a bad idea.

Time to do some testing before I cut these out... fingers crossed

For what its worth we did try memory foam and in the long run it was bulky to store and only helped slightly. Still waking up with a kink in the back.
Abrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 16:28   #25

Hing the fiddles to fold flat and when not in use fold them up and secure with
A brass latch hook at the corners to hold them in the up right position .
Old 28-01-2014, 17:03   #26

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Before cutting the fiddles consider putting a piece of plywood as the "former" or base of your cushion. If the plywood was as thick as the fiddles it would hold the cushion in place and even out the rough edges. Steve Dashew mentioned that the key to long lasting cushions is to have them built on a wood base.
Old 28-01-2014, 17:18   #27
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"sounds like we were lied to. "
Wait a minute. You mean, a mattress salesmen could LIE ?! Wow, my whole value system is shaken, I thought those guys were honest as the day is long. And that I'd really ruin my back if my mattress wasn't 14" thick and hand-made in some top secret facility with secrets smuggled out of Area 51.

Cutting fiddles off a boat's table counts as butchery. Hinging them counts as tres elegant and the sign of a real yacht, not just a boat. But for a fast practical fix, I'd buy a piece of 1/2" or 3/4" thick ensolite, or other closed-cell exercise or camping pad material. Or foam neoprene (often sold off the roll in larger scuba shops) if you REALLY want something dense. Lay the dense pad on the table, put your mattress on top of it, problem solved. Neoprene usually is stocked in up to 1/4" thickness, so you might need two. And it will be way more expensive than ensolite, but it can also double as a very high quality collision mat if you ever need one on the boat.

A mattress salesman lying...wow, I'm still shaken to the core by the very thought of that.
Old 28-01-2014, 17:52   #28

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

A couple of fiddles around my boat have brass pins in the fiddles themselves that insert into holes on the horizontal surface. Seem a simple deal rather than all this hinge, new table and foam modification affairs. Your fiddles are most likely screwed in from the bottom of the table. So they are probably removable to modify.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 18:15   #29

Boat: Catalina 28 MK I

Use the effort required to do all of the above to make the table top flip over. Should have been built that way originally. Sounds like a job for sawzzall and his sidekick vizegrips.
Old 28-01-2014, 18:36   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

On a less "foamy" note, a double birth involves twins.
If it's a bed it's a berth.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: