Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2015, 17:41   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Bug out boat

I really don't get all the derisive comments. Maybe the smarty pants all live in Mayberry but too many of us do not. All one has to do is look at the news some night there is a riot going on and, in you live in a similar neighborhood, you pay attention.

I'm not talking about any silly zombie apocalypse or even a nuclear Holocost, just a good old fashion American inner city riot.

Perhaps our situation is special, and it will thankfully change shortly, but we live in a very nice and safe neighborhood. Until it isn't. There are decidedly BAD neighborhoods in under a mile.

If the civil SHTF then we are outta her, down to the boat, to watch the flames from afar.

Perhaps you don't remember but Philladlphia is the city that got into a tiff with a weird religious group and firebombed their house and then let it burn out, taking out three whole blocks, not to mention the children it barbecued. I'm also old enough to remember the riots of the 60's. There are nearly twice as many folks in the US now, and a higher proportion in the urban areas.

Really, you would not ride out a hurricane on your boat, why would you ride out riots In your house?

Thankfully we will be outta here this spring and good riddence. Then we bug out on retirement.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 17:54   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
In all honesty I'd posted a couple of times why don't the doomsday crowd consider boats as opposed to a mountain fortress. Pretty simple, the fortress will in fact be overrun, if you are to believe in the apocalypse that makes it required.
A cruising boat is truly about the most self sufficient thing there is, and it of course moves. But give me enough fuel and a watermaker and I could go pretty much anywhere on Earth with stores on board.
In truth let SARS or Ebola or Lord only knows what get a good start, and maybe I might just take the family on a long vacation.
I'm not a survivalist nut with thousands of rounds of ammo etc., but there is a very, very remote possibility that being able to leave the area in a manner that is self sufficient may be an asset, you have the asset already.

I am really surprised the nuts aren't buying up boats though, makes more sense than that mountain compound
I'm in much agreement.

I hang out on a forum that has its share of doomers. Not specifically a Doomer site but there is a crowd of that ilk. I've tried to bring up boats a few times and, as you mention, it doesn't get traction.

I think a certain group of the Doomer set are attracted by the guns, guts, and glory aspects. A boat has no appeal because it doesn't fit their Rambo/die hard fantasy. Then there are the care takers who want a nice little farm with chickens and goats and such. A lot of them talk community and seek safety in like minded folks. Nice peaceable folks. Also I think there is the cost issue, perhaps for many even a small sailboat is beyond their means, financial or nautical.

I don't care to shoot anyone, or have them plug me. I'm too damn old to take up dirt farming. I enjoy sailing, especially to remote places.
Old 23-11-2015, 17:55   #33

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Hey there, I don't see any negative comments here. Just the opposite, lots of support for the bug out boat. It's a fun topic too.
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 17:57   #34
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
I had never heard the term "bug out boat" until this guy asked if our boat was our bug out boat?.
Maybe he has this irrational fear of mosquitoes....
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 18:12   #35

For the best view of some inner city riots, there are several great marinas in Baltimore's inner harbor. Easy walking distance to the nightly fire bombings. Not cheap at $2/foot but free pump-out. I had trouble getting a slip during Trawler Fest so plan ahead. Also pirates. They come around once an hour with wenches.

Geez.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-11-23 at 9.11.06 PM.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	113664  
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 18:15   #36
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Seriously, having the option of living off a moveable grid is comforting.

Everything else would go, before the boat!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 18:18   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Hey there, I don't see any negative comments here. Just the opposite, lots of support for the bug out boat. It's a fun topic too.
There were a couple, but I was more thinking of other older threads where it was treated very badly. There are folks who just can't seem to get past the zombie, waterworld scenarios.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	423.7 KB
ID:	113666  
Old 24-11-2015, 09:24   #38

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
I was visiting my dad's a few years back. He lives in one of those southern california communities were people hang out in a neighbors garage at the end of the day. They were all taking about a study that was in the news about the next big quake. Saying how they had water and food stored up. Knowing that my dad was a rustic old timer type, they said "you've probably got a years worth of food stored up". "Nope, you guys have all I need, and I'm the only one in the neighborhood with guns" was his reply. He laughed a lot harder than they did.
This is why you will need defense on a BOB. They'll be plenty of hysterical people trying to take your boat at the dock, and others on the water on smaller boats. Piracy is not a new thing and if you think others won't try to take advantage of your foresight, you are sadly mistaken. The Somali pirates only have pangas and a rifle or two with the occasional RPG.

You'll need offense to take the other guys boat, women, food, and fuel. When you run out. The best defense is offense.

Now - if any of you think I am serious about this you are drinking the wrong kool-aid. If the apocalypse happens it won't matter if you have a boat or not. Unless you are able to be the biggest, baddest, cruelest, with no moral fiber at all, then you will just live a bit longer by stealing and killing and then you'll die too. There will always be sickos sicker than you out there.

But hey - I'm just kidding.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 10:06   #39

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

When we were living aboard, we always considered our boats to be 'bug out' vessels and kept them equipped as such. We cruised regularly which helped with the turnover of perishable supplies.
Now that we have had to move ashore because of health issues, it is surprising to see the amount of equipment and nonperishable food stuffs that we have to survive on when the SHTF. A boat, properly equipped and manned by knowledgeable crew is just about the ideal bug out vehicle.
Our cabin in the mountains is similarly equipped but we have upped the ammo and firearms considerably. Regular range time keeps the eyes and hand coordination acceptable for an older couple.
IMHO it isn't if, but when this old world is going to go in the shitter and the best we can all hope for is to come out the other end with a fairly whole skin along with our close friends and family.
A boat, like a cabin, can be made virtually inaccessible with just a little planning and regular escape practice. We always had a solid communication network set up that did not rely on shore based electronics or government supported systems. We carried these simple small 'notifiers' with us all the time and tested them regularly. Don't count on the telephone, smart phone, r/t, or any other electronic based gizmo. Go simple and survive!
We are confident that we will be around to watch the balloon go up and the rest of the world with it! Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 10:06   #40

Well I was a Boy Scout once, and the motto is "Be Prepared" - and it has stood me in good stead over the years.

When I tour Europe on my motorbike, I carry 3 months worth of dehydrated food, and a Kelly Kettle to provide the hot water for no fuel cost.

I got extremely close to running out once, and a bit too close a few times.
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 10:13   #41

Boat: 1978 Lancer 30 MkIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
This is why you will need defense on a BOB. They'll be plenty of hysterical people trying to take your boat at the dock, and others on the water on smaller boats. Piracy is not a new thing /snip

I've always been a sort of Boy Scout when it comes to being ready for eventualities and everyone in the house has a "go bag" packed & ready. We do live in hurricane country... much more worried about that than a zombie horde from Jacksonville But if the zombies do come, while "buggin out" on the boat might sound like a viable option, the chance of some jackwagon stealing my boat (and any other boats that might look "ready to go") before I can get the whole fam damily to the marina is exceedingly high.

Keeping the vessel in your possession once you've shoved off is whole `nother ballgame. (now where'd that deck cannon get off to...)
Rock-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 08:44   #42

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I really don't get all the derisive comments. Maybe the smarty pants all live in Mayberry but too many of us do not. All one has to do is look at the news some night there is a riot going on and, in you live in a similar neighborhood, you pay attention.

I'm not talking about any silly zombie apocalypse or even a nuclear Holocost, just a good old fashion American inner city riot.

Perhaps our situation is special, and it will thankfully change shortly, but we live in a very nice and safe neighborhood. Until it isn't. There are decidedly BAD neighborhoods in under a mile.

If the civil SHTF then we are outta her, down to the boat, to watch the flames from afar.

Perhaps you don't remember but Philladlphia is the city that got into a tiff with a weird religious group and firebombed their house and then let it burn out, taking out three whole blocks, not to mention the children it barbecued. I'm also old enough to remember the riots of the 60's. There are nearly twice as many folks in the US now, and a higher proportion in the urban areas.

Really, you would not ride out a hurricane on your boat, why would you ride out riots In your house?

Thankfully we will be outta here this spring and good riddence. Then we bug out on retirement.
I'm not overly worried about city riots. Definitely a problem but don't see how having a boat will make it better. My car can take me to the next town or to the country and I do more in that case than I can on a boat. If it were the only way out of town because all the roads were blocked then it might make sense to run down to the marina to hop on a boat, but that doesn't make any sense.

The scenarios where it might make sense is if there is a nuclear war, or the grid comes down for an extended time, or the internet comes down for an extended time, or there is a civil war between the self-righteous crowd against who??, or an uncontrollable epidemic.... That is, situations where you have to worry about getting shot, or not having food or water, or getting fatally sick. Or zombies lol. But short of those things you don't really need to bug out anywhere.

The reason the grid and the internet are so important is that our whole food, fuel, and other goods distribution is totally tied to electrical power and the internet. Safeway gets food by ordering it on the internet to their warehouse. The warehouse gets it by truck or rail and then ships it to local stores (fuel and roads). Mail is too slow and is almost non-existent as far as infrastructure. Chile gets orders for all the veggies that it sells to the US via internet. The ships are lined up by internet. And, we get a huge amount of our produce from overseas now.

We would go back almost instantly to the 1800's where local farms produced the food for locals. Horses plowed the fields and took people to town. There won't be any diesel to get at ports. No water either. No flour, no beer, no wine OMG. Unless any of you have figured out how to grow enough sprouts on your boats to feed you 100% you are very quickly going to have to come to shore and forage. Money won't mean anything (nor will gold for that matter). You'll have to take it if you want it and some others will try to keep you from taking it.

So I'm not kidding now. A BOB is better than no BOB in those disasters. And six months supply of food, water, and fuel will help out and may be get you somewhere else, but the developed world is overpopulated compared to what it needs for food using 1800's farming tech and distribution. But you all better work on making sure none of the disaster happen because there will be little comfort for you when you run out of food, fuel, and water, and the locals in PNG kill you when you try to land and start farming there (or Polynesia or Ecuador or wherever).

It'll be Mad Max on the water and on the land. But in the end, millions of people will die and the earth will get to a more sustainable population and start over. Getting there will be pretty ugly.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 08:58   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

OK here's an attempt to address your statements first its called a sail boat so doesn't need fuel for propulsion. A water maker on the boat solves the water needs. Solar panels solves the power needs. If you know how to fish and know what seaweeds that are edible ( most are edible)you can eat sustainable. Well beer they have been making that a lot longer than we have had electricity. I'm not carrying about feeding the masses that's not my concern my only concern is feeding my family. Alcohol stove to cook food. ( yes you can make alcohol for fuel without electricity ( becides that's what the solar panels are for. ). But keep thinking like you do. The fewer people that think a boat is sustainable the better. (they won't try to take the boat from me.)
newhaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 09:00   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We are fortunate to have a pretty good place to go in event of world meltdown. Not perfect but pretty good.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	132
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	113803  
Old 25-11-2015, 09:51   #45

Boat: Catalina 387

Where I am, I'm more worried about a major fire or earthquake that seals up LA/Orange county for a month or three. There's really very few routes out of the area by land and if the SHTF they'll be disasters. Bridges can be down in the case of an earthquake.

I can walk to my boat if need be. The boat could get me out of the affected area pretty quickly. Boat water tank is always full.

For the same reasons, I always keep my motorhome full of gas and water. And it's 1/4 mile away with no bridges in between. I probably should stock up on some food, but the boat always has about a weeks worth on it.

My jeep is a locked rockcrawler with a winch, may be useful in a natural disaster. Always put gas in any vehicle once it hits 1/2 tank. There was a massive power outage in San Diego last year and folks were running out of gas trying to get home from work because the gas pumps wouldn't work and the traffic was gridlocked because of no working stoplights. The smart folks at my office walked home.

I'm no prepper, but disasters do occur. A great read is HURRICANE KATRINA

Now this guy was kinda a prepper but had lots of what to do/what was needed/preparation wrong. Some amazing things he points out that I don't think I would have thought of - like have your resume on a zip drive or on the cloud. Having cash in your BOB. Having banks that aren't underwater after a hurricane.

Now that I think of it, last time I bought ammo I bought 5000 rounds. Maybe I am a prepper. (really it was 22lr and was super cheap so I bought a lifetime supply)
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote