Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2015, 09:39   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Bug out boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
You might look into a bug-out cigarette boat. Kinda tough to outrun a pyroclastic flow or a lahar!
Actually correct on both counts however history and geology says the pyroclastic cloud and flow will flow south east towards Yakama so exactly the opposite direction of the lahar ( I'm not really in the zone but not far outside of it but hundreds of feet above he affected area.) I'm more worried about earthquakes of magnitude. We have several small ones daily in this region.
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 09:49   #17

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Couple good books that explore this: https://cmdrysdale.wordpress.com/201...r-life-at-sea/
Old 23-11-2015, 09:53   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
Shouldn't a bug out boat have armor plating and at least a .50 cal machine gun in a turret? Plus about 500 gal of fuel, 1000 gal of water, food to last 12 months, filtered air supply, radiation protection, anti-mine technology, flame thrower? Have to have a way to fend off all those pesky liberals when they decide to (completely) take over the country, via the UN of course. Otherwise you may be sent to a holding cell in some abandoned Walmart in Texas. Don't go down without a fight. And, when you are done your boat should look like a nautical version of a Mad Max road tank. Think sailboat as a sister ship to the car up above.
You forgot the torpedo tubes below the waterline
Old 23-11-2015, 10:00   #19

Boat: Watkins 27
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

I resemble that remark!

My dink is named "B.O.B."I
It is a double entendre (actually triple,considering the way it moves ) on the main boat's nam,e AND it's potential) use as described above posts. Iam ready! Fortune favors the prepared (mind) and a well fitted boat
deltaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 10:04   #20

Will one need a ratio of 10 woman to each man on our bug out boat as suggested by Dr. Strangelove? If so I need a bigger boat.

I think a monohull would also provide better radiation protection below decks being deeper in the water. Of course, a cat might be able to better outrun the radioactive cloud. This suggests a whole new mono vs. cat thread.
CarlF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 10:25   #21

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Armoured plating does not seem to be a bug out boat...if you are "bugging out" you arent sticking around for the fight.

Human zombies cant swim, but ever consider a zombie whale or shark? Gives me heebie jeebies just thinking of apex preditor zombies!
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 10:26   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

In all honesty I'd posted a couple of times why don't the doomsday crowd consider boats as opposed to a mountain fortress. Pretty simple, the fortress will in fact be overrun, if you are to believe in the apocalypse that makes it required.
A cruising boat is truly about the most self sufficient thing there is, and it of course moves. But give me enough fuel and a watermaker and I could go pretty much anywhere on Earth with stores on board.
In truth let SARS or Ebola or Lord only knows what get a good start, and maybe I might just take the family on a long vacation.
I'm not a survivalist nut with thousands of rounds of ammo etc., but there is a very, very remote possibility that being able to leave the area in a manner that is self sufficient may be an asset, you have the asset already.

I am really surprised the nuts aren't buying up boats though, makes more sense than that mountain compound
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 10:32   #23

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

They've all seen waterworld, and none of them are Kevin Costner.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 10:43   #24

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
why you didn't just ask him what he meant by that?
I have no social worker skills. When somebody says something crazy to me, I tend to dodge the question. It's not hard to imagine what he was talking about though. However we were in a tropical cruising paradise, everybody is in a bug out boat. Not sure he was though, real light weight cat that had cracks. He was wondering if he needed a better bug out boat.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 11:00   #25

Boat: Catalina 320

I'm in California, earthquake, tsunami, fire, floods, cyber attacks, terrorists and land based zombies I head southwest on the boat. For sea zombies I head to what my friends refer to as :"The fortress of Solitude" hidden high in a box canyon in the mountains. No looting hordes of city folk gonna get my dried food. I'm just afraid of being caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. I've sat out a few wildfires on the boat.
I usually buy my ammo in 500 round cans.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 12:09   #26

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

We aren't even outfitted for long distance cruising, yet, but we have discussed which of the other boats at the marina we would raid before bugging out. Evidently we are the only ones, because I never hear anyone talking about watermakers...
Old 23-11-2015, 12:15   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Don't post this link often but this thread just screams for the book
http://www.cruisenews.net/sailfarm.pdf
Old 23-11-2015, 12:59   #28

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Any sailboat that is used for regular weekend cruising is a bug-out boat. Aside from wars, a BOB can be used to avoid influenzas, short food supplies, etc. I'll bet there are not many live-aboard Venezuelans right now- they've all bugged out!

Don't know about anyone else, but we keep enough food onboard to go a couple weeks if we had to on short notice. This isn't by planning so much as choices in food, but it's there if we were to need it. We also, as a matter of course, have fishing gear, dive gear, etc. A sailboat- even a weekender- is by design largely self-sufficient.

Some years ago we had a power outage effecting several states. No power. No lights. No gas being pumped. So I went to the boat, turned on every light, cranked up the stereo and grilled out.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 17:10   #29

Boat: Island Packet 32

This is very interesting, from a "perspectives" perspective.

Five or 6 years ago, I saw a post on a "prepper" forum asking how one would best bug out from Seattle. I responded that IMVHO the ideal way would be by boat... I was soundly, and unanimously made fun of, for such a silly idea.

My choice would still stand, of course, and here I am, in the middle of a bunch of folks that soundly, and unanimously agree with me. ROFLOL.

There was one response above that I would especially applaud. If you are in any kind of smallish, or "close" group, I would not openly talk about the status of my boat. Way too many others are thinking the same things we are - ".... Ahhh, now there's an easy stash to raid ...."

Fair Winds to all.
PlumBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 17:29   #30

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

I was visiting my dad's a few years back. He lives in one of those southern california communities were people hang out in a neighbors garage at the end of the day. They were all taking about a study that was in the news about the next big quake. Saying how they had water and food stored up. Knowing that my dad was a rustic old timer type, they said "you've probably got a years worth of food stored up". "Nope, you guys have all I need, and I'm the only one in the neighborhood with guns" was his reply. He laughed a lot harder than they did.