Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2016, 17:56   #1

Boat: Bavaria 38 C
Budgeting liveaboard

I am planning the liveaboard experience in the US southeast /Caribbean, and have made some attempts at budgeting.

Of course, a lot will depend on spending habits and living standards, days at sea and docking fees etc. – but if you are able share some of your thoughts, it will be greatly appreciated.

I’m a single guy with a 40' sialboat, appreciating the simple things in life and wanting my bucks to go as far as possible but without hardship…

I suggest keeping direct vessel costs, such as maintenance and fuel, out of the equation for now - but some input on docking fees will be great.
viben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 05:28   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Budgeting liveaboard

You're wise to consider docking fees or marina costs as being a major cause of depleting your budget. The following equipment can increase your initial preparation costs, but save money in the long term by keeping you out of marinas.

1- Good ground tackle & windlass for secure anchoring
2- Means to produce 12VDC,- solar and/or wind
3- Conservative use of 12VDC
4- A good dinghy for transporting crew, groceries, bicycles, laundry, etc
5- An ability to enjoy solitude

..... and when you decide to pay for a slip shop around. Marina rates vary by great amounts. Also, a string of one day transient rates can cost far more than a weekly rate. Keep us posted of your adventures!
Old 22-02-2016, 05:40   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Budgeting liveaboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
You're wise to consider docking fees or marina costs as being a major cause of depleting your budget. The following equipment can increase your initial preparation costs, but save money in the long term by keeping you out of marinas.

..... and when you decide to pay for a slip shop around. Marina rates vary by great amounts. Also, a string of one day transient rates can cost far more than a weekly rate. Keep us posted of your adventures!
From the man on the spot with a finger on the pulse..
Anchoring wherever possible stretches the budget a lot.. but likely this will only really count once you start hitting the islands.. from what folks post about Florida lately.. if your dink is a good rower even better.. else allow for between 5-10L petrol/week while on the hook if your social or like exploring.
If I had to make the choice.. I'd anchor every time.. cooler/fresher.. quieter.. fewer unwanted guests.. insect and human..
Enjoy

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 05:44   #4

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Budgeting liveaboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post

#5 might be the real bugaboo for a single person. Especially a relatively youngish one with social needs that couples or older solo cruisers may no longer care about. If you need to be ashore every afternoon for drinking, dining and/or conversation, obviously the costs go way up.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 10:21   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
From the man on the spot with a finger on the pulse..
Anchoring wherever possible stretches the budget a lot.. but likely this will only really count once you start hitting the islands.. from what folks post about Florida lately.. if your dink is a good rower even better.. else allow for between 5-10L petrol/week while on the hook if your social or like exploring.
If I had to make the choice.. I'd anchor every time.. cooler/fresher.. quieter.. fewer unwanted guests.. insect and human..
Enjoy
Anchoring wherever possible is part of the plan - and while talking about it, I found a great writeup about it here:
HTML Code:
http://cruising.coastalboating.net/Seamanship/Anchoring/Etiquette.html
Any additional thought?
Old 22-02-2016, 10:26   #6

Is there a good, authoritative source / link for information about docking and other fees charged by US southeast marinas – or do I need to check each one individually?

Tags
budget, liveaboard