Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2019, 07:11   #421

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Budget Be Damned

That was exactly my point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimaran Ken View Post
Unless you are dumb enough to believe that they will always be rising.

Ken
===
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 18-11-2019, 07:14   #422

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
How about instead of spending those earnings cash them out and have cash to ride out the downturn?
I have two years of cash, I believe I’m getting 3% or so from it too, so it’s not a total loss, but if there is a down turn, then I won’t have to sell at the bottom to get by, as long as it doesn’t last for more than two years.
Or plow them back into the investments?
Taking SS earlier than planned may be another choice assuming your in that window and not currently receiving it.
I understand your point but think replacing items before the need to be is not cost effective. Besides if there is a big downturn some things are going to be sold for quite a bit less than they are now, in the past I’ve actually sort of profited from corrections as I’ve had cash in hand to buy things that suddenly were a whole lot cheaper than before the fall.
My Father used to tell me that the opportunity to make money was best in hard times, you just had to be in a position to buy when everyone else was having to sell.
Yes, I remember eBay becoming quite the flea market for years following the housing crash. And yes, reallocating into a higher % of cash following a run-up in equity markets is prudent for many reasons, albeit at a cost if the markets continue to climb. But then any good stock broker will tell you how 'genius' hindsight is, right?

It's probably more psychological than anything else, but I'm sorta drawn to the notion of having something to show for what would otherwise be mere paper gains when the inevitable downturn comes. Cash certainly provides the most flexibility.
Old 18-11-2019, 07:15   #423

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Most of the Gods down this way park their 50' - 65' sailboats this time of year and rent an apartment here at the marina for $2500/month or so since they are a ways away from their homes.

As far as not working, I'm not sure that is the healthiest way for a young man under 70 to live especially if you are just hanging out on a boat along the ICW and not cruising anywhere

The rest of us coastal cruising and working demigods sail when we want and live in anywhere from 1000 to 3000 sq ft and feel blessed as well
I'm 51, retired at 38, feeling quite healthy, not sure a job would improve my health.....the thought of going back to work certainly isnt good for my mental health, I can assure you.
Old 18-11-2019, 07:23   #424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimaran Ken View Post
A common myth.

Wages are up for everyone, but more for the lower paid employees. Unemployment is at record lows, overall, and in all minority categories.

Ken
===
The US is part of the world, not the whole world. The global economy is very interconnected and theres many issues.

If things are so rosy why are interest rates heading south again before ever getting close to normalizing and why has the Fed started QE again, although they arent calling it Qe?

Asset inflation has been very real , therefore if you dont own any ,like most dont ,the gap between you and the haves has got much greater. Theres much evidence that points to the middle class shrinking, it's not a myth.
Old 18-11-2019, 07:42   #425
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
.....the thought of going back to work certainly isnt good for my mental health, I can assure you.
Mine either. But I’m all for the “love to work” people putting off retirement, putting money into the social security fund, but never taking any out. That’s better security for this unemployed boat bum.
Old 18-11-2019, 07:54   #426

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Mine either. But I’m all for the “love to work” people putting off retirement, putting money into the social security fund, but never taking any out. That’s better security for this unemployed boat bum.
Lol, yep ,I also encourage them to keep going.....do it for us "bums" I say
Old 18-11-2019, 14:17   #427
CLOD

In the end all that is important in this threads is ............................................ the market was UP today!!!
Old 18-11-2019, 14:57   #428

Boat: Alan Payne "Koonya" design 39'

Quote:
In the end all that is important in this threads is ............................................ the market was UP today!!!
Only any good if you are gambling on the markets.
Old 18-11-2019, 15:04   #429
CLOD

If you say so. But I’m of the position that for every person with any stock or a 401k the market being up is good.
Old 18-11-2019, 15:17   #430

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt49 View Post
Only any good if you are gambling on the markets.
Everyone's gambling....but a win is a win, enjoy the up days
Old 18-11-2019, 15:17   #431

Boat: Alan Payne "Koonya" design 39'

Quote:
If you say so. But I’m of the position that for every person with any stock or a 401k the market being up is good.
Agreed, but I take the view that the Feds printing FIAT to feed the market, which I see as a false economy.
Old 18-11-2019, 15:42   #432

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
I'm 51, retired at 38, feeling quite healthy, not sure a job would improve my health.....the thought of going back to work certainly isnt good for my mental health, I can assure you.
Wow. Just retired and not doing much of anything?

Hopefully you are taking classes and learning something new or maybe cruising the world as long as you are not just hanging out at a marina in a tiny space on a boat then it's probably good to retire early

Or maybe you spend your time training for marathons, distance cycling, or triathlete events now that would be an interesting thing to do also
Old 18-11-2019, 15:53   #433

Quote:
Wow. Just retired and not doing much of anything?

Hopefully you are taking classes and learning something new or maybe cruising the world as long as you are not just hanging out at a marina in a tiny space on a boat then it's probably good to retire early

Or maybe you spend your time training for marathons, distance cycling, or triathlete events now that would be an interesting thing to do also
Dont worry about me Thom, I keep myself busy cruising around the world.......and fear not, I will not be running triathlons etc anytime soon, that was in a previous life, I'm more of a ease into my day slowly sort of guy now
Old 18-11-2019, 16:10   #434

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Dont worry about me Thom, I keep myself busy cruising around the world.......and fear not, I will not be running triathlons etc anytime soon, that was in a previous life, I'm more of a ease into my day slowly sort of guy now
Slowly at 51?

That's a really young age to be easing into your day
Old 18-11-2019, 16:27   #435

Quote:
Slowly at 51?

That's a really young age to be easing into your day
Sucking in time and enjoying it for what it is, is a far better way of living than needing to fit the never ending more into ones life that we are so programmed to do.

I built ,owned and ran two fitness centers, wrote Anthony Robins type articles and generally made people feel guilty about not achieving more in every available minute, typical type A western must achieve crap. I'm not that guy these days, nothing better than easing into ones day and just enjoying doing so.....guess what? I'm happier this way.

So nope, definitely not to young to enjoy a slow start to the day.
Closed Thread

Tags
budget