Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2019, 16:10   #61

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Re: Budget Be Damned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
BTW - don't investment in any bank making student loans that is a disaster just waiting IMO
Reverse mortgages are a big threat with real estate prices being stagnant in a lot of locations.

I don't see a major downturn in the near future either but am always vigilant.
Old 29-04-2019, 16:14   #62

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Some love their work, many don’t, but do it to live, it’s called work and not play for a reason.
If you love your work, of course don’t Retire, why stop doing what you love.
The rest of us Retire though, hopefully.

I’ve watched too many have dreams, but work themselves to death, literally as in often die at their work place from a heart attack etc.
Those that love their work are very lucky.

I'm thinking if you read the book Chicken Hawk, you will have good memories as I think you were a helo pilot. https://www.amazon.com/Chickenhawk-R.../dp/0143035711

More about loving what you do and working for it. Getting the soybeans in.....

Old 29-04-2019, 17:03   #63

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=217395

Thomm, this guy is literally asking about sailing a beach cat to Alaska, a thread right down your lane, and you're over here posting about tractor driving. Are you just trolling SB?
Old 29-04-2019, 18:01   #64

Budget Be Damned

$10K for 2 1/2 years of cruising sounds like good times and fairly reasonable. Cruising is a lot of fun but not for the fate hearted or cheap. Fuel along accounts for a large of the budget ….. Until they develop solar powered cruisers …… enjoy while you can!
Old 30-04-2019, 06:53   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Another troll accusation. That's what got me strike two. Be careful Thomm.
I haven't received any strikes that I know of, I'm certainly better behaved on this forum than in real life.
Old 30-04-2019, 07:35   #66

Cool and forthright way to explain it. Now, don't start overspending, the recession is overdue, when it hits, that investment stuff may take a ~ 35% hit, at least temporarily!

Old 30-04-2019, 15:24   #67

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveslide View Post
Catamaran length for beginner - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Thomm, this guy is literally asking about sailing a beach cat to Alaska, a thread right down your lane, and you're over here posting about tractor driving. Are you just trolling SB?
Like I said before, I've completed my beach cat adventure, but I did assemble my 16'6" foldable kayak today and loaded it on the boat but was thinking I could actually "cruise" the ICW in this thing just like Sailorboy1. It's a Cooper Folbot Kayak

This one will hold around 325 lbs so you can have your tent and lots of supplies onboard.

Just do date my beach cat era, checkout this picture of my crew, my son who unfortunately had to race with me as crew since age 10. Braces, ghetto pants, underwear above, and a pony tail. He was a Memphis inner city rock star kinda guy back then

1997 before a beach cat regatta at Sardis Lake in Mississippi on Hobie 16's. The thing was I had been getting beat up for a year and a half against great sailors on the Gulf Coast so I had learned a bit after having moved there in 1996. There were 16 Hobie 16's that actually made the starting line for this regatta in Mississippi

There were 5 races in this regatta and we finished 1, 1, 1, 1, 2 and won the thing

Folbot Cooper Kayak.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Martin 1997.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	191154  
Old 30-04-2019, 17:01   #68
CLOD

Boat: none

Had to take my off topic response off as I was sure it would not be allowed
Old 30-04-2019, 17:08   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Like I said before, I've completed my beach cat adventure, but I did assemble my 16'6" foldable kayak today and loaded it on the boat but was thinking I could actually "cruise" the ICW in this thing just like Sailorboy1. It's a Cooper Folbot Kayak

This one will hold around 325 lbs so you can have your tent and lots of supplies onboard.

Just do date my beach cat era, checkout this picture of my crew, my son who unfortunately had to race with me as crew since age 10. Braces, ghetto pants, underwear above, and a pony tail. He was a Memphis inner city rock star kinda guy back then

1997 before a beach cat regatta at Sardis Lake in Mississippi on Hobie 16's. The thing was I had been getting beat up for a year and a half against great sailors on the Gulf Coast so I had learned a bit after having moved there in 1996. There were 16 Hobie 16's that actually made the starting line for this regatta in Mississippi

There were 5 races in this regatta and we finished 1, 1, 1, 1, 2 and won the thing

Folbot Cooper Kayak.

Yeah, we had beach cats too. Get over it.
Old 30-04-2019, 18:16   #70

Boat: Vancouver 27

So you're trolling then, eh
Old 30-04-2019, 18:20   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by laika View Post
So you're trolling then, eh
I... I can't tell, he's a master at it if he is?
Old 30-04-2019, 18:32   #72

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
It’s not my fear. I’m pretty sure I’ll be OK.
What I am saying is what has made it so you have only spent 10K is this phenomenally strong market is all, take that away and your supposition of I’ve done it all on 10K goes away.
Strong overvalued market not supported by solid fundamentals but instead mispriced money, but hey, it could go on forever, seems the rules have changed..... bring on more QE and start dropping interest rates (again)...... what could possibly go wrong?
Old 30-04-2019, 18:58   #73

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.50

Quote:
Say what???? You have been nothing but a negative to every cruising post I've ever done. What is your end goal other than to suggest that cruising is a waste of time? You have posted you aren't even interested in cruising so why is it so important to you post on a cruising related story? (never mind as I don't care)

What have I accomplished??? I've cruiser up/down the Eastern US over 3 times. Been to the Bahamas and now am on the West Coast of Florida on my way to New Orleans and Texas and then who knows. I'm traveled and seen new places, met new people and friends, experienced different cultures even in the USA, and had a good time and enjoyed life. What had you accomplished??

I'm now only 59 and have enough assets to do this till I'm 90 even if my assets stop growing. I'm debt free and not planning to go back to work unless I get bored and feel like saying "welcome to Walmart" most off the day.

Good on you Sailorboy. thanks for the information and you keep on keeping on. I am trying to head off this year. I am glad to hear that your having fun. Work is something you do to get money to do the things you want to do.
Old 30-04-2019, 19:16   #74

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.50

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
when does the price of the boat get factored into your budget formula?

It needed to be factored in at the planning stage along with the refit money. . Once you have left it needs to not enter in to the equation at all. Unless you are taking off in a 5 or 10 year old boat for 3 years it will have no resale value anyway.

That actual cost to put together an ocean ready boat that will meet the wife's standards is well into a fairly large six figures. Like house type money, at least a good down payment.

If I told you what I have put into a 33 year old 50 footer you would be almost as appalled as I am. Everything costs huge. Sunbrella in Canada is over $30 per yard.

I am 59. The plan is to leave this year and never bring the boat back. When I am too old to sail I will put it up in some marina somewhere warm and visit it for 6 months of the year.

The boat costs in the hundreds to put together, it is worth nothing and I am okay with that because unless I end up too crippled to get on it, I am not selling it.
Old 30-04-2019, 19:20   #75

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
....I'm providing this info to help planners. I'm NOT interested in the peanut gallery questioning or spinning some story about my numbers, I have an MBA and understand my numbers. I haven't done anything "special" I feel and have taken a moderate to above average level of risk, which included a slam a couple of years ago that I stuck out.

So go forth and cruise before you are old. It's your money so be sure YOU get to spend some of it instead of leaving to your "heirs".
Thanks for this post and your others on budgets, they've been a great read.

I wish there were someone posting similar data for Australian based cruising, where I suspect the numbers would be different. In which direction, I don't know, but they'd be different.

I guess the one thing that strikes me is your sound advice about getting to spend some of it yourself, which is another way of saying, don't overthink this stuff.

My cruising stage is due to start in about 200 days or so, and the one thing I realise as I get closer to setting out is that my financial plans now look NOTHING even remotely like what I had in mind when I bought the boat six years ago. If I were to try to stick to that set of plans I would have to put off cruising for at least another 30 years (literally).

I helped some fellow cruisers get going a month or two back and they were really tight on the budget towards the end, I think they even had to eat into what they had planned to keep for the travel phase to do the preparation properly. But they, like me, are young and are taking a gamble on being able to earn a little extra as they travel to offset the costs. And, like me, if that proves unrealistic, I guess they'll just have to stop sooner than they might otherwise have preferred.

But at least they are DOING it, and I hope to be hot on their heels doing the same soon, not worrying too much about exactly how the finances will stack up in the end.

It's either that or sail some small multihull boat off a beach somewhere, and frankly, I don't find that very appealing.

Tags
budget