Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2019, 00:48   #181
cruiser

Re: Budget Be Damned

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Agreed. Tell us how to get by on 15 Euro a day!
I only budget for my living expenses while on the boat (food, fuel, transportation and communications). When I’m on the water, I live very frugally; while on land, I work several jobs at the same time at maximum effort in order to avoid debt. We never finance any additional items placed into service on the boats, and perform all of our own service and repairs.
Old 03-05-2019, 03:43   #182

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Hi Chuck, I know you've posted your annual figures before but I can't recall them.

What has it cost you per year, all included to live the cruising life style in the Med? No break down needed.
here is 10 years of cost data by region and broken down by item - and it is every penny we spent during the year

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ta-213259.html
Old 03-05-2019, 03:48   #183

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post

Hard to think how it would be even possible to spend some of the monthly grocery/eating out figures mentioned on a few threads in ATlantic Spain/Portugal
here is our 10 years of cost data -- we sailed across in 2013 - so you can see what it cost us - we spent 2 winters in Tunisia, 3 winters in Turkey and this winter in Israel and wow it by far the best yet - we had planeed to cross back over this November but are rethinking that and may come back to Israel for another winter
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ta-213259.html
Old 03-05-2019, 04:49   #184
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I read an article the other day that defined wealth as not how many material possessions you had, but basically your debt to earnings ratio and whether or not you could retire at retirement age.
If you can, your wealthy.
I sent it to the kids, maybe I can find it.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:54   #185
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Here it is, to me it’s an interesting article.
https://www.businessinsider.com/sign...ike-it-2016-11
Old 03-05-2019, 05:05   #186

Boat: Vancouver 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdan View Post
I dont know if i believe that. I move to the USA when I turned 18. I've never been to college, in fact I tried to go but was declined financial aid. I have had zero assistance from family members.

My first year in the US I made $16k(2009). I moved to Seattle with $1000 in 2010 and that year I made $22k(+/-). The next year I broke 30k and was stuck in that rate for about 3 years before I got a bump to $45k(different company). From there I went to 85k and was at that rate for a year and a half before i set off on my trip. I came back in 2018, bought my sailboat, worked as a glazier for $18/hr for 6 months while also starting my own contracting company before returning back to IT where I now make 95k.

Yes I may be an outlier. Yes I may be considered different than an average person. I sacrificed a ton in my life to achieve what I have achieved

The guy running a backhoe could easily follow in the same foot steps, he just needs to re-prioritize their goals. Yes they may be struggling to pay rent, or trying to feed a family. Its not hard to spend free time to learn something that brings in higher pay, one just has to have drive. I would say an average person in america has "fat" in their expenses that they can cut to gain savings if that's their goal.

Of course there will be outliers who have made prior choices that screw their future selves or have unexpected medical bill's but i believe by having minimal debt I was able to not screw my future self.

Maybe I'm just jaded, or have an incredible drive, or am just pure lucky, but I look at a lot of friends and coworkers who have struggled along the side of me, yet I have rose above them financially and I believe that is because of my drive to achieve my goals which in turn, caused me to sacrifice a lot throughout the last 9 years.
Work hard at being lucky! 2009 was a tough year to move and break in to the US economy.. Although IT is good place to be, especially if you're young and want to try to balance both a working and cruising life.

Coming of age in the great recession taught me there are no sure bets. I'm not opposed to gambling on futures, just not my own.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:47   #187
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I'm rich!!!

Turns out that I bet a lot of the $500/mo people are also rich!
Old 03-05-2019, 05:58   #188

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I'm rich!!!

Turns out that I bet a lot of the $500/mo people are also rich!
Yup.

No debt. Living comfortably. Still able to save. “Retired” at 48. Guess I’m rich .

Although, to be fair, I’m not quite at the $500/month level.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:04   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Charles Dickens said it with fewer words a century or two ago,

Quote:
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pound ought and six, result misery.

Later,
Dan
Old 03-05-2019, 06:32   #190

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by laika View Post
Work hard at being lucky! 2009 was a tough year to move and break in to the US economy.. Although IT is good place to be, especially if you're young and want to try to balance both a working and cruising life.

Coming of age in the great recession taught me there are no sure bets. I'm not opposed to gambling on futures, just not my own.
2009-2011 was tough for me all around. That period I was sustained by eating cup o noodles, often 1 pack a day due to financial issues(rent, power, bus fare was prioritized over food).

But breaking out of the cycle, using my free time to apply for entry level positions in different industries allowed me to get into IT and work my way up the wage ladder. It's not difficult, one has to be persistent, dedicated and motivated. None of this "I'm off the clock, let's go home...to watch TV"
Old 03-05-2019, 07:58   #191

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdan View Post
None of this "I'm off the clock, let's go home...to watch TV"
Of course not. It's "I'm off the clock, I'm going boating!"

I get your point, and it's very true. But I got *out* of the IT grind and retired early for just that reason. The big company I worked for treated employees like crap but expected ever-increasing work weeks of 60, 70, even 80 hours. They researched and analyzed pay scales to determine the absolute minimum they could get away with paying an employee, but somehow thought they could demand "excellence." They cut benefits every year, which offset any meager pay raises they'd offer.

I worked to live. I didn't live to work. If I'm not getting paid for it, I'm going to be doing something *I* like to do. Not make more profit for someone else.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:16   #192

Talking Re: Budget Be Damned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post

I get your point, and it's very true. But I got *out* of the IT grind and retired early for just that reason. The big company I worked for treated employees like crap but expected ever-increasing work weeks of 60, 70, even 80 hours. They researched and analyzed pay scales to determine the absolute minimum they could get away with paying an employee, but somehow thought they could demand "excellence." They cut benefits every year, which offset any meager pay raises they'd offer.

I worked to live. I didn't live to work. If I'm not getting paid for it, I'm going to be doing something *I* like to do. Not make more profit for someone else.
I’m not sure I understand. The free enterprise system is not about making employees wealthy it’s about making owners/shareholders wealthy. Companies do their level best to keep overheads as low as possible, that’s how the game is played. If you are being paid a high salary it’s not because your worth it it’s because the companies have no choice but to pay you or you’ll move on to other opportunities, that’s also how the system works. The real fortunate ones here have a Daddy that was rich and they lucked out because everything is going to be much easier for them.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:39   #193

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post

I totally understand that feeling. My previous company(prior to traveling) I thought paid well, yet I was working 60-80hr weeks, yet was ready to throw myself off our 26th floor.

After I quit I said I'd never go back to IT, and after returning and starting my own glass and glaizing business(while working in the industry), my current company approached me, and said they want me. I declined and they convinced me to just go into the office just to talk to people. I ended up accepting their offer because A: it's easier money than trying to burn capital on gaining customers, and B: glass and glaizing wasnt challenging me enough.

I agree with you - I work to live, not live to work. Sure I am helping my company generate wealth, but at the same time their wealth is allowing me to do what I want to do and in the long run, I *should* be FIRE by the time I'm 45(16years). In that time I would have taken atleast one more "long" term travel trip as well. If I didnt go and do my travels, I suspect I would be able to FIRE by the time I was 40. Small compromise in my opinion.

I am just trying to share my story to show that people can have opportunities to do these things we all love(boating) if that's their goal!
Old 03-05-2019, 08:46   #194

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I only budget for my living expenses while on the boat (food, fuel, transportation and communications). When I’m on the water, I live very frugally; while on land, I work several jobs at the same time at maximum effort in order to avoid debt. We never finance any additional items placed into service on the boats, and perform all of our own service and repairs.
Making your 15euro a day budget number useful for you and pretty much not applicable or useful to any CF readers. Exclude all maintenance and upgrade costs and low and behold you don't report spending much.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:13   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Ah, so the secret of living on 15 Euro a day is not to include all of your expenses!

I can do that. But then, what about my other expenses?

The interesting part are the boat carrying/maintenance/upkeep/improvement costs, and the real world on-land/travel expenses. I'm considering doing something similar to what you're doing, but I have no idea how to estimate the actual costs. And yes, I get that it's going to be drastically different for different boats, but over time, similar categories of expenses will likely emerge. What's a bottom job cost in the Med? For me, that's part of the budget.
Closed Thread

Tags
budget