Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2015, 04:10   #1
Registered User
 
574Andy's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 15
Brit buying boat in US?

Hello! I am planning on the Big Jump in the next few years, and am looking at Morgan OI, Irwin, or Gulfstar liveaboard to buy,with a budget of around GBP 45000. These boats, specially Morgans, only seem to be available Stateside, and as you seem to get a lot of boat for your pound in the States, l am thinking its the way to go. Question is, would I be liable for sales tax on a private purchase.as I need to budget for it, and if so, what is the rate?
Thankyou for your help, and fair winds!! x Andy
__________________

__________________
574Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:06   #2
Senior Cruiser
 
Vasco's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Toronto
Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"
Posts: 7,133
Re: Brit buying boat in US?

Every State has a different sales tax schedule. However usually if you foreign register the boat and take it out of the State you bought it in within x days (period depends on the jurisdiction) you can avoid sales tax.
__________________

__________________
Rick I
Toronto in summer, Bahamas in winter.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/beneteau393/
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:50   #3
Registered User
 
Nicholson58's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Live aboard
Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Posts: 3,466
Images: 83
Re: Brit buying boat in US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Every State has a different sales tax schedule. However usually if you foreign register the boat and take it out of the State you bought it in within x days (period depends on the jurisdiction) you can avoid sales tax.
This is even easier if you pay cash and remove the boat quickly.

In most states, the sales tax, transfer tax, etc. is paid not at the transaction time but when you transfer the title in the state where it will be owned. Since you will export, this will never happen.

Assuming you will personally transport - - The previous owner's registration stickers & numbers will keep most officials away if you need to transport. Add in a free courtesy inspection & sticker from the Coast Guard Auxillary and most water cops will leave it alone. Be sure to have a bill of sale with you.

BTW, keep in mind that there are thousands of boats available on our Great Lakes that have never seen salt water, see only short seasons; are sailed mostly on nice weekends.
__________________
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:30   #4
JMK
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Boat: Gulfstar 44
Posts: 55
Re: Brit buying boat in US?

I know Virginia does not have a sales tax on the purchase of a boat, but then you have the issue of getting the boat back to the UK. Also, wouldn't you have to deal with the VAT on that end of things?

I can recommend the Gulfstar 44 as a great boat, but then again we own one We also owned a Morgan OI Classic 41. These boats were built for a few years after Catalina bought Morgan yachts. They made a few very worthwhile improvements in terms of the keel and removing the aft cabin access from the cockpit that make them a nice boat to also consider. Can't comment on the Irwins. Re: Gulfstars - the later models were better built than those constructed in the 70's.

Good luck!

J.M.
__________________
JMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:17   #5
Registered User
 
Bill Balme's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Providence, RI
Boat: Outbound 44
Posts: 171
Re: Brit buying boat in US?

Andy,

So long as you don't reside stateside, I doubt you'll have to pay sales tax.
If you register it in the UK, when you get it home, you'll be liable for VAT. If you're not planning on getting it home, then who cares!
If you plan to live aboard, you can then bring it back to the UK as it is your domicile - it is not VATable...
__________________
Bill Balme
s/v Toodle-oo!
Outbound 44 #27
Bill Balme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:54   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: SF Bay Area/Baja California
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 32
Re: Brit buying boat in US?

Folks routinely buy US registered boats in Mexico privately or through brokers with escrow in the US and do not have to pay sales tax because of the particulars of the law regarding such transactions. I have done it both ways. Ask a yacht broker in Mexico how it is done.
__________________
coolboat30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:00   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,243
Re: Brit buying boat in US?

"Add in a free courtesy inspection & sticker from the Coast Guard Auxillary and most water cops will leave it alone. Be sure to have a bill of sale with you."

I don't believe you can get a courtesy safety inspection without a current registration in your name.
__________________
Bristol 31.1, SF Bay.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:02   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,243
Re: Brit buying boat in US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 574Andy View Post
Hello! I am planning on the Big Jump in the next few years, and am looking at Morgan OI, Irwin, or Gulfstar liveaboard to buy,with a budget of around GBP 45000. These boats, specially Morgans, only seem to be available Stateside, and as you seem to get a lot of boat for your pound in the States, l am thinking its the way to go. Question is, would I be liable for sales tax on a private purchase.as I need to budget for it, and if so, what is the rate?
Thankyou for your help, and fair winds!! x Andy
One thing is for certain, you will get lots of answers on here, and 90% of them will be 90% inaccurate. 10% will be better, but how will you know which one is which? Do your own research, using the tax resources of the jurisdictions in question.
__________________
Bristol 31.1, SF Bay.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:22   #9
Registered User

Join Date: May 2015
Location: Switzerland
Boat: Malo 39
Posts: 51
Re: Brit buying boat in US?

I can't comment on US sales tax, but the UK VAT is something to watch. If you are a member of the RYA their legal department is quite helpful on this and related purchase related issues.
__________________
Martin S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:57   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: GREEN COVE SPRINGS, Florida
Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Posts: 362
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2
Re: Brit buying boat in US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
This is even easier if you pay cash and remove the boat quickly.



BTW, keep in mind that there are thousands of boats available on our Great Lakes that have never seen salt water, see only short seasons; are sailed mostly on nice weekends.
Be aware that many boats built for the Great Lakes do not have stainless steel compatible with Chlorides. Just check where the boat was actually built. Although; generally less expensive with the low CAN$ you wouldn't want all your fittings rusting out after crossing the Pond.
I purchased my Irwin in Canada, but it was built in Florida.
__________________
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 13:10   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: GREEN COVE SPRINGS, Florida
Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Posts: 362
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2
Re: Brit buying boat in US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK View Post
I can recommend the Gulfstar 44 as a great boat, but then again we own one We also owned a Morgan OI Classic 41. These boats were built for a few years after Catalina bought Morgan yachts. They made a few very worthwhile improvements in terms of the keel and removing the aft cabin access from the cockpit that make them a nice boat to also consider. Can't comment on the Irwins. Re: Gulfstars - the later models were better built than those constructed in the 70's.

Good luck!

J.M.
~I've sailed A Morgan 41, no experience with Gulfstar. I have owned my Irwin43, 1987 for nearly 18 years and still extremely satisfied for speed and comfort, a go anywhere cruising yacht. Your wife would love it.
Do you want Ketch or Sloop/ All the Morgan 41 I've seen are Ketch and all the Irwin 43 are Sloops.
__________________
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 13:44   #12
Registered User
 
Travis McGee's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Jax, FL
Boat: 48' steel cutter
Posts: 291
Re: Brit buying boat in US?

Welcome aboard, mate! Two thumbs up, you won't regret it!
__________________
Travis McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 14:10   #13
Registered User
 
574Andy's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 15
Re: Brit buying boat in US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlib2 View Post
~I've sailed A Morgan 41, no experience with Gulfstar. I have owned my Irwin43, 1987 for nearly 18 years and still extremely satisfied for speed and comfort, a go anywhere cruising yacht. Your wife would love it.
Do you want Ketch or Sloop/ All the Morgan 41 I've seen are Ketch and all the Irwin 43 are Sloops.
Ketch, I think! Love the look and the versatility. thinking Morgan Classic or OI, but depends what is out there in two years! Like most dreamers of our persuasion, waiting for that pension cheque, and lapping it all up on Youtube and on this forum! Thanks for all the helpful advice from all, and pardon Moi for the weird Limey spelling!
__________________
574Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 15:00   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: GREEN COVE SPRINGS, Florida
Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Posts: 362
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2
Re: Brit buying boat in US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 574Andy View Post

Ketch, I think! Love the look and the versatility. thinking Morgan Classic or OI, but depends what is out there in two years! Like most dreamers of our persuasion, waiting for that pension cheque, and lapping it all up on Youtube and on this forum! Thanks for all the helpful advice from all, and pardon Moi for the weird Limey spelling!

No Pardon necessary: Many Canadians here that spell Brit with a few words US, and of course Canadian words that are neither Brit nor US.
Reason there are separate dictionaries for all English speaking countries.
Having lived in Canada, England, Australia and South Africa my spelling is really confused and spell checks are not much help. Doesn't matter how many times I set for Canadian always comes out US.
__________________
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 17:17   #15
Registered User
 
574Andy's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 15
Re: Brit buying boat in US?

Thanks for that..interested in your comment as to preferring no access to aft cabin from cockpit, why is that?
__________________

__________________
574Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
buying

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brit, 18, Available from Sep 2012 till Sep 2013 - Can Travel Anywhere corry Classifieds Archive 1 07-01-2012 13:08
Sailing the USA as a Brit! pablothesailor Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 33 04-07-2011 14:48
Crew Available: 30 Year-Old Experienced Brit abi Crew Archives 2 09-03-2011 15:26
Hello Folks, from the Brit Abroad ! jram Meets & Greets 4 08-11-2010 13:52
Boat Registration for German Partner in Brit Boat wassermann44 Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 0 30-03-2009 19:57



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 23:40.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.