Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2015, 03:10   #1

Brit buying boat in US?

Hello! I am planning on the Big Jump in the next few years, and am looking at Morgan OI, Irwin, or Gulfstar liveaboard to buy,with a budget of around GBP 45000. These boats, specially Morgans, only seem to be available Stateside, and as you seem to get a lot of boat for your pound in the States, l am thinking its the way to go. Question is, would I be liable for sales tax on a private purchase.as I need to budget for it, and if so, what is the rate?
Thankyou for your help, and fair winds!! x Andy
574Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:06   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Brit buying boat in US?

Every State has a different sales tax schedule. However usually if you foreign register the boat and take it out of the State you bought it in within x days (period depends on the jurisdiction) you can avoid sales tax.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:50   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Every State has a different sales tax schedule. However usually if you foreign register the boat and take it out of the State you bought it in within x days (period depends on the jurisdiction) you can avoid sales tax.
This is even easier if you pay cash and remove the boat quickly.

In most states, the sales tax, transfer tax, etc. is paid not at the transaction time but when you transfer the title in the state where it will be owned. Since you will export, this will never happen.

Assuming you will personally transport - - The previous owner's registration stickers & numbers will keep most officials away if you need to transport. Add in a free courtesy inspection & sticker from the Coast Guard Auxillary and most water cops will leave it alone. Be sure to have a bill of sale with you.

BTW, keep in mind that there are thousands of boats available on our Great Lakes that have never seen salt water, see only short seasons; are sailed mostly on nice weekends.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:30   #4
JMK

Boat: Vancouver 28

I know Virginia does not have a sales tax on the purchase of a boat, but then you have the issue of getting the boat back to the UK. Also, wouldn't you have to deal with the VAT on that end of things?

I can recommend the Gulfstar 44 as a great boat, but then again we own one We also owned a Morgan OI Classic 41. These boats were built for a few years after Catalina bought Morgan yachts. They made a few very worthwhile improvements in terms of the keel and removing the aft cabin access from the cockpit that make them a nice boat to also consider. Can't comment on the Irwins. Re: Gulfstars - the later models were better built than those constructed in the 70's.

Good luck!

J.M.
JMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:17   #5

Boat: Outbound 44

Andy,

So long as you don't reside stateside, I doubt you'll have to pay sales tax.
If you register it in the UK, when you get it home, you'll be liable for VAT. If you're not planning on getting it home, then who cares!
If you plan to live aboard, you can then bring it back to the UK as it is your domicile - it is not VATable...
Outbound 44 #27
Bill Balme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:54   #6

Boat: Rafiki 37

Folks routinely buy US registered boats in Mexico privately or through brokers with escrow in the US and do not have to pay sales tax because of the particulars of the law regarding such transactions. I have done it both ways. Ask a yacht broker in Mexico how it is done.
coolboat30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:00   #7

"Add in a free courtesy inspection & sticker from the Coast Guard Auxillary and most water cops will leave it alone. Be sure to have a bill of sale with you."

I don't believe you can get a courtesy safety inspection without a current registration in your name.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:02   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 574Andy View Post
Hello! I am planning on the Big Jump in the next few years, and am looking at Morgan OI, Irwin, or Gulfstar liveaboard to buy,with a budget of around GBP 45000. These boats, specially Morgans, only seem to be available Stateside, and as you seem to get a lot of boat for your pound in the States, l am thinking its the way to go. Question is, would I be liable for sales tax on a private purchase.as I need to budget for it, and if so, what is the rate?
Thankyou for your help, and fair winds!! x Andy
One thing is for certain, you will get lots of answers on here, and 90% of them will be 90% inaccurate. 10% will be better, but how will you know which one is which? Do your own research, using the tax resources of the jurisdictions in question.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:22   #9

Boat: Malo 39

I can't comment on US sales tax, but the UK VAT is something to watch. If you are a member of the RYA their legal department is quite helpful on this and related purchase related issues.
Martin S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:57   #10

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
This is even easier if you pay cash and remove the boat quickly.

BTW, keep in mind that there are thousands of boats available on our Great Lakes that have never seen salt water, see only short seasons; are sailed mostly on nice weekends.
Be aware that many boats built for the Great Lakes do not have stainless steel compatible with Chlorides. Just check where the boat was actually built. Although; generally less expensive with the low CAN$ you wouldn't want all your fittings rusting out after crossing the Pond.
I purchased my Irwin in Canada, but it was built in Florida.
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:10   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK View Post
I can recommend the Gulfstar 44 as a great boat, but then again we own one We also owned a Morgan OI Classic 41. These boats were built for a few years after Catalina bought Morgan yachts. They made a few very worthwhile improvements in terms of the keel and removing the aft cabin access from the cockpit that make them a nice boat to also consider. Can't comment on the Irwins. Re: Gulfstars - the later models were better built than those constructed in the 70's.

Good luck!

J.M.
~I've sailed A Morgan 41, no experience with Gulfstar. I have owned my Irwin43, 1987 for nearly 18 years and still extremely satisfied for speed and comfort, a go anywhere cruising yacht. Your wife would love it.
Do you want Ketch or Sloop/ All the Morgan 41 I've seen are Ketch and all the Irwin 43 are Sloops.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:44   #12

Boat: 48' steel cutter

Welcome aboard, mate! Two thumbs up, you won't regret it!
Travis McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 13:10   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlib2 View Post
~I've sailed A Morgan 41, no experience with Gulfstar. I have owned my Irwin43, 1987 for nearly 18 years and still extremely satisfied for speed and comfort, a go anywhere cruising yacht. Your wife would love it.
Do you want Ketch or Sloop/ All the Morgan 41 I've seen are Ketch and all the Irwin 43 are Sloops.
Ketch, I think! Love the look and the versatility. thinking Morgan Classic or OI, but depends what is out there in two years! Like most dreamers of our persuasion, waiting for that pension cheque, and lapping it all up on Youtube and on this forum! Thanks for all the helpful advice from all, and pardon Moi for the weird Limey spelling!
Old 09-11-2015, 14:00   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 574Andy View Post

Ketch, I think! Love the look and the versatility. thinking Morgan Classic or OI, but depends what is out there in two years! Like most dreamers of our persuasion, waiting for that pension cheque, and lapping it all up on Youtube and on this forum! Thanks for all the helpful advice from all, and pardon Moi for the weird Limey spelling!

No Pardon necessary: Many Canadians here that spell Brit with a few words US, and of course Canadian words that are neither Brit nor US.
Reason there are separate dictionaries for all English speaking countries.
Having lived in Canada, England, Australia and South Africa my spelling is really confused and spell checks are not much help. Doesn't matter how many times I set for Canadian always comes out US.
Old 09-11-2015, 16:17   #15

Thanks for that..interested in your comment as to preferring no access to aft cabin from cockpit, why is that?

Tags
buying