Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-10-2013, 02:15   #1

Brisbane Live-aboard ? Seeking Advice

It's a cunning plan, but needs thinking through. In early Jan 2014 my wife and I are transferring to Brisbane. I am hoping some kindred spirits could share their experiences with the live-aboard life in the area.

From internet research, ( I haven't actually rung or emailed individual marinas yet ), it appears several marinas from Newport in the North to Southport Yachtclub, in the, ( you guessed it )... South, permit long term live-aboards.

My main question is : How are long term live-aboards treated by various marina managements ?

The reason for my question is that here in New Zealand, for reasons I don't really understand, liveaboards are treated somewhat akin to pond scum in the great ziggurat of life. Most marina management I've dealt with over the years seem to struggle to be civil when asked (very politely, ) if liveaboards are permitted. At best I've found their tolerance to be begrudging. Most Kiwi Marinas just do not not cater for the life. Curious really, as boating is a big part of the culture.

I lived, under the radar, in the Tauranga Bridge Marina for a couple of years, two to three nights a week, but was usually made to feel like some sort of criminal.

Not so of course, by the other liveaboards, who were a great bunch of people. Some good times had, and much rum consumed !

So has anybody here got some experiences they would like to share, good and bad please.

Manly would seem the most convenient from a work perspective. ( I fly night freighters for a crust ), but something further South on the Broadwater would possibly have better cruising within shorter distances. As I am fortunate to only have to work about 15 days a month, we envisage getting a lot of use from the boat.

Which brings me to my next question. Although we have always been keel-boat sailors, I can remember when our kids were little, spending a few embarrassing hours on the mudbanks of the Broadwater, so we're wondering if, in our early sixties ( growing older not up ), a shallow draft houseboat might be the way to go.

Never even been on one, so curious to know if two rear-mounted outboards are sufficient to manoeuver say a 40 foot houseboat in the confines of a marina, or is a bow thruster mandatory rather than nice to have ?

All replies gratefully received. Cheers !!

Mach Buffett

Mach Buffett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 03:00   #2

Boat: Crowther windspeed 36' cat Goldrush
Re: Brisbane Live-aboard ? Seeking Advice

Mach, check your PM.

Regards Bill

bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 18:45   #3

Boat: 'Keppelena' Hartley Queenslander 35' and 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 30'

I just spent 5 months living aboard a Hartley Tasman 30'er at anchor near Colmslie Reserve on the Brisbane River at Morningside. No fees, public toilet nearby, tap water for filling gerry cans, swimming centre for showers ($2.20) within 500 metres. There are supermarkets, a chandler and an electronics parts wholesaler all within 5km. There is also an amenities block being built currently, since the reserve is used by Dragon Boat training crews a lot.

Total cost is $313pa for yacht registration, which isn't actually necessary because I don't have an engine on that yacht. Colmslie is about 8km from Manly.

Before I took possession of the yacht I had a call from the water police, telling me she was sinking. Since I had just pumped her out it was a staledated report but I thanked them for their vigilance. When I told them I intended to live aboard and restore her their attitude was "Cool, have fun!" (Note: there was a minor leak in the hull which has since been repaired.)

It's a lot different in other states, but Brisbane is very flexible with the rules for live-aboards. In Sydney I had NSW Maritime threaten to cancel the mooring on my other yacht - a Hartley Queenslander - because of a buildup of marine growth (barnacles, etc) that had only accumulated within the previous 6 months. Their rules also forbid more than 28 days a year on board at the mooring.

BTW I reckon you're mad to leave godzone, mate. Just bought a house in Wairoa on 1/3 acre for $15k which won't get you a permanent caravan park space here. Since the Brisbane yacht is surplus to requirements now that I'm NZ bound, I could entertain offers around AU$8k if you're interested. Full description available on request.
__________________ - Moderator

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 19:06   #4

Boat: Angus Primrose One design 45ft And Duncanson 34 Mk2

Scarborough marina is a beautiful place to stay on board your yacht for as long as you want..
nauticalnomad is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: