Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2014, 00:06   #16
Bailing as fast as I can.
 
GILow's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Boat: Swanson 42
Posts: 3,585
re: Bottom Cleaning in the Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
. As far as sharks go, there are no dangerous species that frequent small boat harbors in California...
Sounds like those Californian boat brokers are a friendlier breed than our Ozzie type.
__________________

__________________
Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes.
http://www.swansonsailor.id.au
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 00:06   #17
Marine Service Provider
 
fstbttms's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Posts: 3,594
re: Bottom Cleaning in the Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Sounds like those Californian boat brokers are a friendlier breed than our Ozzie type.
The man in the grey suit.
__________________

__________________
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 01:05   #18
Registered User
 
gamayun's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Oakland, CA
Boat: Freedom 38
Posts: 1,231
re: Bottom Cleaning in the Water

Sharks, ha! They're a treat compared to getting covered in Caprellids (AKA skeleton shrimp or "aliens of the sea"). They pinch as they reattach to your skin after you've scraped them off the boat. After a couple of days, your gear smells like something rotten and you have to pull every dried, dead body off one by one by one by.....

It's the little stuff that'll kill ya: Wonderful Things: The Pugnacious, Alien-esque Skeleton Shrimp | The Artful Amoeba, Scientific American Blog Network
__________________
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 05:27   #19
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 17,056
re: Bottom Cleaning in the Water

I'll not speak as to cleaning bottoms as a pro already has, and I'm certainly no pro.
But on the shark thing, I've seen several Bull sharks hanging around in some Marinas I've been in, Florida and Bahamas (never been to California) and almost always it's those places where the fishermen come back and clean fish on tables set up on the dock, so if you see those tables, usually set up right at the charter fishing boat and the water isn't gin clear, don't clean your boat there, wait until you move.
Personally I don't like cleaning mine in a marina anyway, sometimes not the cleanest water around, I like to do it at anchor, plus you don't have to worry about the idiot beside you dropping an extension cord into the water.

If you going to use a tank, a steel HP 80 is much smaller, lighter and negatively buoyant so you don't have to have nearly as much weight as compared to an aluminum 80, although an aluminum 80 due to costs is the standard.
__________________
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 06:33   #20
Registered User
 
Dhillen's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: South Pacific
Boat: Oyster 53
Posts: 359
re: Bottom Cleaning in the Water

One other thing that comes to mind from personal experience: make sure people on board know you're down there and they don't use the head. You have enough of a "cloud" to avoid cleaning the bottom without swimming face first into another one...

Dhillen
__________________
www.theseaissalt.com
Dhillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 08:00   #21
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,772
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
re: Bottom Cleaning in the Water

i place deadman lines from bow to stern and use those for cleaning hull when in port.
underway cleans self essentially.
hullcleaning in port and only when needed, or before departure. keep prop clean at all times.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 08:06   #22
Marine Service Provider
 
fstbttms's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Posts: 3,594
re: Bottom Cleaning in the Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Sharks, ha! They're a treat compared to getting covered in Caprellids (AKA skeleton shrimp or "aliens of the sea"). They pinch as they reattach to your skin after you've scraped them off the boat. After a couple of days, your gear smells like something rotten and you have to pull every dried, dead body off one by one by one by.....


__________________
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 08:07   #23
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Charleston, SC
Boat: Camano Troll
Posts: 4,669
re: Bottom Cleaning in the Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhillen View Post
One other thing that comes to mind from personal experience: make sure people on board know you're down there and they don't use the head. You have enough of a "cloud" to avoid cleaning the bottom without swimming face first into another one...

Dhillen
I would think the contents of the head would go into a holding tank for most of us. For the rest, you shouldn't be using the head at the dock anyway.
__________________
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 08:13   #24
Marine Service Provider
 
fstbttms's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Posts: 3,594
re: Bottom Cleaning in the Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
If you going to use a tank, a steel HP 80 is much smaller, lighter and negatively buoyant so you don't have to have nearly as much weight as compared to an aluminum 80...
If you are going to use a tank, a hundred or so bucks will buy you 50' of air hose and let you leave the heavy, bulky dive gear on deck or in the dinghy.
__________________
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 08:15   #25
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Charleston, SC
Boat: Camano Troll
Posts: 4,669
re: Bottom Cleaning in the Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherbo View Post
............. I was wondering if you could tell me how you go about cleaning your boats bottom while at sea. I know you can dive or snorkel and scrape, but have any of you come up with any more innovative or better way?
A better way? Sure. I write a check.

I pay $60 for someone to drive to the boat, haul all his stuff down the dock, put on his own wetsuit, hook up his own dive gear (that he pays for) and jump in the cold murky water and clean my boat and inspect my running gear and replace any anodes that need replacing.

I wouldn't do what he does for what I pay him.
__________________
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 08:18   #26
Marine Service Provider
 
fstbttms's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Posts: 3,594
re: Bottom Cleaning in the Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I wouldn't do what he does for what I pay him.
Neither would I.
__________________
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 10:46   #27
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Sea of Cortez
Boat: Fountaine Pajot Casamance 44
Posts: 27
re: Bottom Cleaning in the Water

As a full time cruiser, I invested in 12v compressor designed just for hull cleaning. It cost about $850 around 15 years ago, and it's been one of the best marine investments I've made. Figure hull cleaning every month, it's paid for itself compared to hiring divers. It comes with 60' of hose, is good for 30' depth, and will run for 6+ hours on a standard starting battery. The brand I bought is no longer around, but there are similar ones on the internet. You can stay under, communing with the fish and working comfortable until the job is done - I find myself enjoying it especially in warm clear water..
__________________
vivabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 11:04   #28
Moderator
 
Hudson Force's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Posts: 7,894
Images: 1
re: Bottom Cleaning in the Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivabob View Post
As a full time cruiser, I invested in 12v compressor designed just for hull cleaning. It cost about $850 around 15 years ago, and it's been one of the best marine investments I've made. Figure hull cleaning every month, it's paid for itself compared to hiring divers. It comes with 60' of hose, is good for 30' depth, and will run for 6+ hours on a standard starting battery. The brand I bought is no longer around, but there are similar ones on the internet. You can stay under, communing with the fish and working comfortable until the job is done - I find myself enjoying it especially in warm clear water..
Check out the thread, "Shallow Dive System for Bottom Care". I received some great advice from fstbttms for putting together a oiless compressor system with a proper breathing hose at less than half this cost.
__________________
Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 11:27   #29
Marine Service Provider
 
fstbttms's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Posts: 3,594
re: Bottom Cleaning in the Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Check out the thread, "Shallow Dive System for Bottom Care". I received some great advice from fstbttms for putting together a oiless compressor system with a proper breathing hose at less than half this cost.
Shallow Dive System for Bottom Care
__________________
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 12:17   #30
Registered User
 
YARGESOL's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: San Carles de la Rapita,Spain
Boat: Imexus 28, Malcolm Tennant 46 Timeliner cat
Posts: 143
re: Bottom Cleaning in the Water

With Mac Gregor 26 the easiest way will be to pull it out of the water on the trailer
__________________

__________________
YARGESOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cleaning, water

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pool Brush for Cleaning Bottom ? Yes / No rhr1956 Construction, Maintenance & Refit 27 11-03-2015 12:25
Bottom Cleaning and Annode Changing dnimigon Construction, Maintenance & Refit 32 31-01-2013 21:58
Diver recommendations? Need Bottom Cleaning In Melbourne, FL offline Atlantic & the Caribbean 7 09-06-2012 14:41
Bottom Cleaning cfoxcvg Construction, Maintenance & Refit 0 17-02-2010 09:12
Cleaning Bottom for Paint? turkish6 Construction, Maintenance & Refit 5 11-04-2008 20:43



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:00.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.