Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2014, 23:06   #16

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
re: Bottom Cleaning in the Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
. As far as sharks go, there are no dangerous species that frequent small boat harbors in California...
Sounds like those Californian boat brokers are a friendlier breed than our Ozzie type.
Old 17-12-2014, 23:06   #17
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Sounds like those Californian boat brokers are a friendlier breed than our Ozzie type.
The man in the grey suit.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 00:05   #18

Boat: Freedom 38

Sharks, ha! They're a treat compared to getting covered in Caprellids (AKA skeleton shrimp or "aliens of the sea"). They pinch as they reattach to your skin after you've scraped them off the boat. After a couple of days, your gear smells like something rotten and you have to pull every dried, dead body off one by one by one by.....

It's the little stuff that'll kill ya: Wonderful Things: The Pugnacious, Alien-esque Skeleton Shrimp | The Artful Amoeba, Scientific American Blog Network
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 04:27   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I'll not speak as to cleaning bottoms as a pro already has, and I'm certainly no pro.
But on the shark thing, I've seen several Bull sharks hanging around in some Marinas I've been in, Florida and Bahamas (never been to California) and almost always it's those places where the fishermen come back and clean fish on tables set up on the dock, so if you see those tables, usually set up right at the charter fishing boat and the water isn't gin clear, don't clean your boat there, wait until you move.
Personally I don't like cleaning mine in a marina anyway, sometimes not the cleanest water around, I like to do it at anchor, plus you don't have to worry about the idiot beside you dropping an extension cord into the water.

If you going to use a tank, a steel HP 80 is much smaller, lighter and negatively buoyant so you don't have to have nearly as much weight as compared to an aluminum 80, although an aluminum 80 due to costs is the standard.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 05:33   #20

Boat: Oyster 53

One other thing that comes to mind from personal experience: make sure people on board know you're down there and they don't use the head. You have enough of a "cloud" to avoid cleaning the bottom without swimming face first into another one...

Dhillen
Old 18-12-2014, 07:00   #21
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i place deadman lines from bow to stern and use those for cleaning hull when in port.
underway cleans self essentially.
hullcleaning in port and only when needed, or before departure. keep prop clean at all times.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 07:06   #22
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Sharks, ha! They're a treat compared to getting covered in Caprellids (AKA skeleton shrimp or "aliens of the sea"). They pinch as they reattach to your skin after you've scraped them off the boat. After a couple of days, your gear smells like something rotten and you have to pull every dried, dead body off one by one by one by.....

Old 18-12-2014, 07:07   #23

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhillen View Post
One other thing that comes to mind from personal experience: make sure people on board know you're down there and they don't use the head. You have enough of a "cloud" to avoid cleaning the bottom without swimming face first into another one...

Dhillen
I would think the contents of the head would go into a holding tank for most of us. For the rest, you shouldn't be using the head at the dock anyway.
Old 18-12-2014, 07:13   #24
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
If you going to use a tank, a steel HP 80 is much smaller, lighter and negatively buoyant so you don't have to have nearly as much weight as compared to an aluminum 80...
If you are going to use a tank, a hundred or so bucks will buy you 50' of air hose and let you leave the heavy, bulky dive gear on deck or in the dinghy.
Old 18-12-2014, 07:15   #25

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherbo View Post
............. I was wondering if you could tell me how you go about cleaning your boats bottom while at sea. I know you can dive or snorkel and scrape, but have any of you come up with any more innovative or better way?
A better way? Sure. I write a check.

I pay $60 for someone to drive to the boat, haul all his stuff down the dock, put on his own wetsuit, hook up his own dive gear (that he pays for) and jump in the cold murky water and clean my boat and inspect my running gear and replace any anodes that need replacing.

I wouldn't do what he does for what I pay him.
Old 18-12-2014, 07:18   #26
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I wouldn't do what he does for what I pay him.
Neither would I.
Old 18-12-2014, 09:46   #27

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Casamance 44

As a full time cruiser, I invested in 12v compressor designed just for hull cleaning. It cost about $850 around 15 years ago, and it's been one of the best marine investments I've made. Figure hull cleaning every month, it's paid for itself compared to hiring divers. It comes with 60' of hose, is good for 30' depth, and will run for 6+ hours on a standard starting battery. The brand I bought is no longer around, but there are similar ones on the internet. You can stay under, communing with the fish and working comfortable until the job is done - I find myself enjoying it especially in warm clear water..
vivabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 10:04   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivabob View Post
As a full time cruiser, I invested in 12v compressor designed just for hull cleaning. It cost about $850 around 15 years ago, and it's been one of the best marine investments I've made. Figure hull cleaning every month, it's paid for itself compared to hiring divers. It comes with 60' of hose, is good for 30' depth, and will run for 6+ hours on a standard starting battery. The brand I bought is no longer around, but there are similar ones on the internet. You can stay under, communing with the fish and working comfortable until the job is done - I find myself enjoying it especially in warm clear water..
Check out the thread, "Shallow Dive System for Bottom Care". I received some great advice from fstbttms for putting together a oiless compressor system with a proper breathing hose at less than half this cost.
Old 18-12-2014, 10:27   #29
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Check out the thread, "Shallow Dive System for Bottom Care". I received some great advice from fstbttms for putting together a oiless compressor system with a proper breathing hose at less than half this cost.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...re-132567.html
Old 18-12-2014, 11:17   #30

Boat: Imexus 28, Malcolm Tennant 46 Timeliner cat

With Mac Gregor 26 the easiest way will be to pull it out of the water on the trailer
YARGESOL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleaning, water