Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2018, 18:27   #121

Boat: 1990 Oyster 55
Re: BOOKS, TABLET or KINDLE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
Suppose I'm writing a document that contains figures with references to the figures in the text. In chapter four I have a figure 4.3, on the opposite page to the first reference in the text to figure 4.3.

Then I decide to reorder the chapters. Chapters four and five are now chapters seven and eight. LaTeX will recognize that the first reference to the figure is now in the new chapter six, will place the figure on the opposite page to the the new first reference to the figure, will renumber the figure according to its new position, and will update the list of figures automatically. (Along with renumbering the chapters, all of the included figures, diagrams, and images, updating the table of contents, the index, etc.)

It's been many years since I had to manage significant documents, and I'm sure that there are other tools now that have these capabilities. But most of the tools I've seen don't even try, and I don't know how you manage anything beyond a short story without them.
I do remember having to run it through twice to get the table of contents and figure list correct ***grin***.

Do you remember the tool detex which removed all of the commands and just left you with the text of the document. The help file was "it burns rubber"

Ah the memories of automation instead of repetitious mouse clicks...

botanybay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 16:56   #122

Boat: Mariner36

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3534 View Post
All of them of course: books, tablet/notebook and a kindle.

Books are much more beautiful, from the look of your boat cabin you want this . I own the new waterproof paperwhite Kindle and it's great! But the screen is quite small and imho works best when reading 'uncomplicated' books. With 'complicated' books where you might want to quickly follow links, jump to other book locations or when there is multimedia content, a tablet/notebook is much better.
I would rather have the space than the look of books in the cabin

bkrizmanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 17:03   #123
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

One nice thing about ebooks, is that I have found I can fit up to a 7" tablet into a cargo pocket. So if I'm in transit or simply expecting to be in a waiting room or otherwise pretty certain to be killing time?

Much less weight to carry around when there are a couple of new books stashed "in my pocket".

Now, if I want to follow a double-spread wiring diagram across two full size pages....I'll take print for that, every time. (Big screens are all well and good, but hard to carry next to balky machines.)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 18:45   #124

Boat: Still building

The solution is - bookcase wallpaper! HAve the look of a 'proper bookcase' while keeping all your reading in eBooks.

https://www.luxewalls.com.au/product...elf-wallpaper/

https://www.catch.com.au/product/lib...iABEgLfHfD_BwE
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 01:11   #125

Boat: Leopard 40

So what does the modern liveaboard choose as a reading medium?[/QUOTE]

Kindles are really easy to learn. We use them for regular reading. All our boating guides and manuals are in hard or paperback. I've tried cookbooks on the Kindle, but I prefer hard or paperback for them as well.

We read prodigiously. We each read at least 4 books a week, and we like to re-read them, so there's no way we could have that number of books on the boat.

Maje

Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books