Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2007, 09:11   #1

Boat: Pearson 31-2
boats designed for liveaboard ?

Hi, I am researching for a boat and most of the boats I see have more berthing than I would ever need. I would rather have maybe a big aft berth and use the rest of the interior as an open living space. Are there any types of boats that are laid out with a design like this or is something like this completely custom?

Thanks,
Fred
Aquah0lic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 11:26   #2

Researching...

Most boat designers for commercial markets assume you'll at least have occasional guests, and the 2-stateroom model is very common.

One thing I've found is the slightly upscale builders, such as Tartan, focus on one *real* stateroom, and one which might be used when tied to a dock. Owners who live-aboard often customize that second stateroom for other purposes.

One thing to stop and think about: if you hacked out that (structural) forward bulkhead, what possible use could the space be put to in regular daily practice?

On my current boat the forward v-berth was dispensed with, resulting in a very roomy head (and I must mention that it's slightly precarious beating to weather in good-sized waves.) At the dock or anchor that head is wonderfully luxurious. However, there's no nav station, and using a laptop over the salon table fiddles is just a bit wrong... but I love my torpedo quarter berth. The galley, on the third hand, was clearly designed by a man who only ate cold beans from cans and hates people who want more than that aboard a boat.

What I'm trying to make clear is that any boat - designed for a liveaboard or not - is a series of compromises. There's a certain small day sailor which has a lovely large love nest aft under the cockpit and the rest of the cabin is pretty much open, and might suit your design requirements for a liveaboard to a tee. But it would drive me nuts, even as a day sailor. Decide what is important for you, and then see if anyone has built anything like it.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 11:59   #3

Our Contest 35 has a decent V berth and aft cabit. We use the aft for our berth and the V is like a storage closet. The occassional guests go there and then the stored stuff goes to bed with us. I makes a great walk in closet! and it's right niext to the walk through head!

Our interior is pretty roomy for a 36 so it works out great for living aboard. I did it for 4 years so I know how it works.

jef
sv shiva
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 12:04   #4

Boat: gozzard 44
Check out Gozzard, available at 31', 36/37', 41', 44'. They are semi-custom if buying new but most of the used models have an open-interior design with a large aft-berth and a forward saloon which can convert into a queen berth if needed.
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 12:28   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
As noted the Gozzards even the 31 have a very open plan that divides up to make private space as required. The 31 is amzing large for only a 31 ft boat. My prior CSY 33 and the CSY 37 have no aft cabin so you get a huge saloon and a V berth. The CSY's have a rasised cabin so you have large ports and a roomy saloon, galley, nav station area. It is hard to find boats near 36 ft that don't try to add two cabins and effectivly leave you with a tiny saloon and 2 small cabins. They don't tend to get bigger until you reach abourt 45 ft.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 13:40   #6

Get a Cat.
thierman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 14:01   #7
cruiser

Like this?

So are you looking for an aft stateroom like this?

With a real shower?

I'm a jerk... this is of course my own boat for sale, but it seems to meet what you are describing, except it has a v-berth forward that could be converted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	email_master.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	1685   Click image for larger version

Name:	Head.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	1686  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shower.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	1687  
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 14:08   #8

Location: Winters - Out Cruising / Summers in the NC mountains
Boat: Brewer 42
Look at a Brewer 42 or 12.8. Large aft berth and we use our v-berth for stowage.
rleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 14:35   #9

SSulivan, very nice... do you get turn down service and a mint on your pillow?

What kind of boat is that bunk attached to?

Thanks for the other replies as well, I'm looking into those models suggested.
Old 17-08-2007, 14:50   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquah0lic
SSulivan, very nice... do you get turn down service and a mint on your pillow?

What kind of boat is that bunk attached to?

Thanks for the other replies as well, I'm looking into those models suggested.
Sure... I'll turn down the sheets for the new owner the first night... but that's as far as the service go!

It's attached to a 1987 Gulfstar Hirsh 45'. Look 'em up. If not mine, there are others out there for sale. We love the boat... but are changing due to lifestyle changes.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 15:07   #11

WOW! That is really a beautiful boat, sir. I found your ad on google... Maine, right? Alas, I fear that could be too much boat for me and the dog. I am a fairly inexperienced sailor and will be going solo primarily bahamas bouncing. It seems to me that in an emergency or freak storm, etc. one guy on a boat that big wouldn't be enough. I'll bet it has a pretty deep draft, too. I'm not sure what the recommended draft for the Bahamas is, but I'm told, the shallower the better.
Feel free to educate me if I am misinformed.
Old 17-08-2007, 16:37   #12

Look into the Cheoy Lee's designed by Ray Richards
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 18:03   #13

Boat: 2011 Hunter 50
evil V-berth

We have been searching for a boat 36 to 40 ft that doesn't require shoe-horning ourselves into a V berth or sliding into an aft cabin with 2 ft of access width. It is a very difficult task. The only prospects I have found, other than a few center cockpit designs, are the 36 and 40 ft Bayfields, Beneteau Oceanus 40 and the Island Packet 38. They have a pullman berth which seems far superior to the evil V. The IP and Bayfield are quite slow for their size leaving the Beneteau if you want performance and comfort.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 18:24   #14

Boat: Bayfield-29, 29'
bayfield-29

We have bayfield-29 cutter in Key Largo, Florida. No V-berth, instead large head and storage area, comfortable berths in the middle of the boat, shallow 3'-6" draft, well built and very comfortable for 2 people.
pandora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 19:35   #15

Ooopps my Contest 35 is actually a 36. Sully's rebuild of interior is a stunner. That would make a cushy live aboard.
I like having a boat which I EASILY single hand and dock in all conditions... because I like to change the neighborhood, anchor off get water and fuel and not live on a dock with people walkig about right on top of me. Docks are fine for taking on supplies, water and fuel, crew or guests... and some repairs... but I don't like the idea of living on a dock... though I have done it.

When you live aboard you learn how much crap land lubbers acquire. ICK

jef
sv shiva
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard