Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2019, 06:37   #1

Boat: Privilege 435
Boat hack; Any trick, shortcut, skill or novelty which increases efficiency on a boat

What's your favorite boat hack? I just found one which I had to share...

Most landlubbers wouldn't understand the problem of having their bathroom mirror steam up, but for those of us who have a mirror next to their shower, a steamy mirror is a curse. Having tried all of the various random cleaning products that sit just outside my head, I finally stumbled upon this one...

One clean of the mirror with this and its completely cured the problem. Even if the mirror does mist up, a wipe of the hand leaves the mirror perfect. Not exactly life changing but it's changed my life so i felt obliged to share.

Click image for larger version

Name:	purple.JPG
Views:	878
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	186228
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 11:44   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Boat hack; Any trick, shortcut, skill or novelty which increases efficiency on a

Most purple grease destroyers are lye based and can do a lot of damage.
There are sprays sold to prevent fogging on glass and mirrors, many products because the chemistry is fairly simple and effective, without the risk of eating any finishes or coatings. Usually sold in tile and bathroom fixture stores.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 12:06   #3

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch
Re: Boat hack; Any trick, shortcut, skill or novelty which increases efficiency on a

My wife used "Purple Stuff" to clean the cabin top from the crud in the air in the L A harbor. Worked great, but the over spray ruined the vinyl windows in the dodger.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 12:38   #4

My favorite "hacks" I learned from singlehanding. Since there is no one else to do anything from leaving the dock to doing the meals and pots&pans (!), I learned to do things once. Of course, most folks will say, when you're singlehanding, you have to "plan ahead" but I think that's true of sailing with crew or without. Simplest case is going forward, for anything, be it the jib or the anchor or the dock line(s). Remembering everything you need to avoid going back and then forward again is my "hack."

Now the "Where'd I put it?" thing? I'm still workin' on that!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 08:37   #5

Boat: 33' Nonsuch

Premade iced coffee in the summer. All you have to do is pour. Excellent for first thing in the morning.
Ida_Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 08:59   #6

Re "Now the "Where'd I put it?" thing? I'm still workin' on that! ":
Me, too. When I get to the point while working with tools where I am thinking, "Now where's that uhhhh", and the "uhhh" lasts for 3 seconds, I immediately start cleaning up. Sweeping, putting tools and clutter away. It transforms wasted search time into useful cleanup time. And the misplaced item is soon found.
Shoalbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 09:17   #7

Boat: Hunter 30

Not a big deal but this works for me. I used nail polish to color code the socket I need to change the impeller. This came in handy when we overheated approaching a bridge on the ICW when there was a current.
sailm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 09:33   #8

Boat: Mariah 31 & Triton 28

we replaced all our overhead lights with red/white LED light. Used nail polish to mark the red and white sides. helped alot
somanyboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 09:36   #9

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

I have learned so much on this forum and treasure all the advise.

Probably one of the best thing that saves so much time is running a dehumidifier while away. It sits on the counter in the galley and the hose runs into the sink.

It keeps the bilges dry and absolutely no mildew in the boat. Plus the normal smells from a locked up boat are non existent.

I have played with only running the battery charger and dehumidifier on the shore line instead of hooking boat to shore power. This isolated the shore power from the boat because at the time, we were eating zincs. The zinc issue was the inverter charger. It has a buss installed to hook ground to neutral. Who knew?
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 10:00   #10

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey. Deck Salon

Hang a cheap umbrella on your prop shaft when working under the boat, you're gonna drop something! And its not lost on the bottom

Remove your dinghy motor cover, and inscribe your boat info, and MMSI number on the inside of the cover, even better useva Dremel

Cut the bottom off of a big plastic wine glass, and notice how nicely the stem fits into the hole on the winches in the cockpit, makes a great beer can/ bottle holder, and you wont spill!
furisgrampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 10:11   #11

Boat: Freedom 38

When on an offshore passage, wash/rinse dishes in salt water and then spritz with freshwater from a spray bottle to save water from the tanks.

Use plastic food containers or label plastic baggies with all the parts you're working on during a project.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 12:50   #12

Boat: Tartan 37C

My hack is so simple, we sometimes forget, but 2 summers ago it SAVED MY LIFE.

I ALWAYS ware my inflatable PFD, ALWAYS. One evening 2 summers ago I was out for a sail, alone. The weather was perfect, the breeze a calm 10 knots, the weather was perfect, As predictable, when the sun dropped below the horizon the wind quit. I went to the transom to start my outboard for a short ride home. Somehow, a puff hit as I was pulling the starter cord. The motor started, the tiller swung around and caught me at the knees just as I had put the motor in forward. The next thing I knew, I was in the water, with my boat, motoring away. What a shock. My PFD inflated and about an hour later a fisherman say my waiving hat and rescued me. I know for sure that had I not been waring my PFD, I would not be here to give you this story. So, please be warned, ALWAYS WARE YOUR PFD, you just never know when you will wind up in the water as I did.
Captain Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 13:46   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Anthony View Post
My hack is so simple, we sometimes forget, but 2 summers ago it SAVED MY LIFE.

I ALWAYS ware my inflatable PFD, ALWAYS. One evening 2 summers ago I was out for a sail, alone. The weather was perfect, the breeze a calm 10 knots, the weather was perfect, As predictable, when the sun dropped below the horizon the wind quit. I went to the transom to start my outboard for a short ride home. Somehow, a puff hit as I was pulling the starter cord. The motor started, the tiller swung around and caught me at the knees just as I had put the motor in forward. The next thing I knew, I was in the water, with my boat, motoring away. What a shock. My PFD inflated and about an hour later a fisherman say my waiving hat and rescued me. I know for sure that had I not been waring my PFD, I would not be here to give you this story. So, please be warned, ALWAYS WARE YOUR PFD, you just never know when you will wind up in the water as I did.

What happened to the boat?

And maybe the lesson there is to use a tether for single-handing...
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 13:53   #14

Boat: Tartan 37C

The fisherman who rescued me ran it down and I returned to her and motored home
Captain Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 14:03   #15

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by somanyboats View Post
we replaced all our overhead lights with red/white LED light. Used nail polish to mark the red and white sides. helped alot

Dollar Stores sell nail polish(quick dry lacquer) in a variety of solid colors-Black,red,green.orange,etc. Very handy for color coding anything. Dries almost instantly.
Makes a decent thread locker also.
All my metric tools are marked with hot pink. Not many guys will steal? hot pink
I get some kidding when I open my toolbox & several bottles of nail polish are visible but....
Len

Tags
boat, enc