Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2012, 14:05   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,770
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Beware Checking in Honduras

sounds like i sail past honduras.....
__________________

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 07:02   #17
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 7,947
Re: Beware Checking in Honduras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton318 View Post
As a U.S. citizen, when I leave the United States and sail to a foreign port, I will not have clearance paperwork with a destination port-of-entry. Is this correct? If so, do the officials at your next port-of-entry simply take your word that your last port-of-call was in the United States? If so, could you conceivably, as a U.S. citizen aboard a U.S. registered vessel, cruise around to various ports-of-entry without clearance paperwork, saying your last port-of-call was in the United States?
I believe that is still the case for US Citizen on US vessel, but the last time I left the US was 2004.

However, in essentially every other case you will need to "make papers".
__________________

__________________
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 07:10   #18
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 7,947
Re: Beware Checking in Honduras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Many countries you clear into will plug your info into a computer system that's shared with other countries. If they look you up, they'll know exactly where and when you cleared in and out elsewhere.
Yes, you can probably get away with this -- especially at non-computerized ports-of-entry. And, I know people who have done this to get around paper work issues. However, if you do get caught, the expenses and hassle will far exceed what it would have been just to do it right in the first place -- up to and including confiscation of you vessel (for which your insurance won't pay), fines, jail time.

From my perspective, if you are a guest in someone's "house" then you should respect their laws. Those who flagrantly violate the laws of host countries make it tougher for all the rest of us.
__________________
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 07:19   #19
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 7,947
Re: Beware Checking in Honduras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Many countries you clear into will plug your info into a computer system that's shared with other countries. If they look you up, they'll know exactly where and when you cleared in and out elsewhere.
Yes and this is becoming increasingly more common. A number of border crossings here in Central America (CA) have been computerized in recent years. Guatemala is in the process of rolling out a system for cruising boats. I suspect, but don't know for sure, that some of this automation is funded by Uncle Sam.

Another thing to keep in mind is the long-arm of Uncle Sam. Do you know that the USCG (and DEA) also sometimes patrol the waters of other countries? They do here in CA. I have seen and heard the USCG Cutters in the waters of Guatemala, Honduras and Belize. I know a few people who they have boarded and checked paperwork. Here in CA if you have a problem you can usually find an "unofficial" way to work it out (computerization of course makes this much more difficult), but Uncle Sam is not so flexible.
__________________
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 07:26   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 7,947
Re: Beware Checking in Honduras

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
sounds like i sail past honduras.....
No, please don't do that because of this discussion. The original subject only had to do with one port of entry (La Ceiba). Not many cruisers clear in there anyway.

I've cleared in/out at Puerto Cortez, Roatan, and Guanaja and had nothing, but positive experiences.

We also occasionally do road trips to Honduras. Whether on land or sea I have always found Honduran officials to be friendly and helpful (apparently the port captain at La Ceiba may be an exception).

And, worst of all, you would miss a great cruising ground.
__________________
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 10:39   #21
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 7,947
Re: Beware Checking in Honduras

Checked with Lagoon Marina for an update, but discovered they are now closed.

Hello,


our Marina is closed so I cannot tell you any update on that at the moment.
Maybe you should contact the La Ceiba Shipyard I hope they can help you.

best regards
RITA
__________________
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 14:23   #22
Senior Cruiser
 
rebel heart's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,190
Images: 3
Re: Beware Checking in Honduras

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Checked with Lagoon Marina for an update, but discovered they are now closed.

Hello,


our Marina is closed so I cannot tell you any update on that at the moment.
Maybe you should contact the La Ceiba Shipyard I hope they can help you.

best regards
RITA

That place (Lagoon Marina La Ceiba, Honduras, One of the Top Class Marinas in Honduras, Central America.) seemed insanely expensive. $570 a month just seems like a ridiculous amount of money to spend in a country as dirt poor as Honduras. I know there are a lot of costs involved, but it can't be as much as running a marina in San Diego and the rates are barely any cheaper.
__________________
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 09:00   #23
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 7,947
Re: Beware Checking in Honduras

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
That place (Lagoon Marina La Ceiba, Honduras, One of the Top Class Marinas in Honduras, Central America.) seemed insanely expensive. $570 a month just seems like a ridiculous amount of money to spend in a country as dirt poor as Honduras. I know there are a lot of costs involved, but it can't be as much as running a marina in San Diego and the rates are barely any cheaper.
Yes, $570 per month would be well above prevailing rates in the region. Here on the Rio, for a mid-sized boat (35-45 feet), rates range from about $150-325 per month depending on the marina and other details. Never kept a boat there long-term, but spent about a week there last year and actual rates charged were not unreasonable.

Bit of a moot point now, but just glancing at their price list I see $324 per month for up to 45 feet for longer term (more than moth) storage. This is on the high-end for the region, but within reason.
__________________
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 18:16   #24
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 7,947
Re: Beware Checking in Honduras

Just arrived Utila, Honduras yesterday. No hassle, pleasant officials, minimal cost check-in (About 100 Limpira or $5US).
__________________
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 08:17   #25
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Washington
Boat: Pearson 424
Posts: 73
Re: Beware Checking in Honduras

Check-in and check-out procedures can change hourly. Honduras cost us $2 on the Pacific side in San Lorenzo last year. Panama was the most confusing and a moving target. We were completely checked in in less than an 1 1/2 hours. Our buddy boat spent a day and were told the ag inspector would show up within three days (he never did). Our ag inspector took the $25 and said we were done. And, the USA isn't consistent either. Much harder to check-in on the West Coast. So, just go cruising because the rules will be different when you get there.
__________________
Continuing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 09:53   #26
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Montegut LA.
Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Posts: 3,421
Re: Beware Checking in Honduras

And as most of ya know already, there is a Zarpe availble to Us Cruisers, from the Homeland security !! sometimes the clerks say no but ask for a Officer !! They do have to honor your request for Clearnce Papers! every fisherman that fishes the south gulf get them so they can use Mexican Ports for safety from weather, for fuel,medical emergencys ect! and the cruisers get them because of the Guy In IsL M !! you can get them at any port city ck the phone book ! Just a idea form a Louisiana Cruiser
__________________
Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 15:12   #27
Moderator
 
Hudson Force's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Posts: 7,894
Images: 1
Re: Beware Checking in Honduras

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
And as most of ya know already, there is a Zarpe availble to Us Cruisers, from the Homeland security !! sometimes the clerks say no but ask for a Officer !! They do have to honor your request for Clearnce Papers! every fisherman that fishes the south gulf get them so they can use Mexican Ports for safety from weather, for fuel,medical emergencys ect! and the cruisers get them because of the Guy In IsL M !! you can get them at any port city ck the phone book ! Just a idea form a Louisiana Cruiser
Thanks for this advice. Would this be CBP form 1300? I scanned the PDF and it appears to be what you're speaking about.
__________________
Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 15:49   #28
Registered User
 
engele's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: On the boat -> PNW -> Mexico -> Central America
Boat: Seafarer 38
Posts: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart

The one I posted is exclusively the Pacific side of the equation since that gets such little traffic compared to the eastern end. They also specifically leave out Panama and Costa Rica because of the coverage those areas get from other guidebooks and resources available online.
While basic, Sarana's guides have more useful information than the Rain's book on Central America in my opinion. I gladly paid for both and am looking forward to using them extensively in the coming weeks as we approach our exit from Mexico.

Elan
www.sailingsilverlining.com
engele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:52   #29
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 20
Re: Beware Checking in Honduras

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Yes and this is becoming increasingly more common. A number of border crossings here in Central America (CA) have been computerized in recent years. Guatemala is in the process of rolling out a system for cruising boats. I suspect, but don't know for sure, that some of this automation is funded by Uncle Sam.

Another thing to keep in mind is the long-arm of Uncle Sam. Do you know that the USCG (and DEA) also sometimes patrol the waters of other countries? They do here in CA. I have seen and heard the USCG Cutters in the waters of Guatemala, Honduras and Belize. I know a few people who they have boarded and checked paperwork. Here in CA if you have a problem you can usually find an "unofficial" way to work it out (computerization of course makes this much more difficult), but Uncle Sam is not so flexible.
I saw the USCG at port in Roatan last summer. Local friends informed me that they are there often looking for narcotic trade.
__________________
Suzybro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:33   #30
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Montegut LA.
Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Posts: 3,421
Re: Beware Checking in Honduras

Yes thats the form 1300 and the PDF is a good one !! Ive gotten so many of them from the local office I only have to call and it's ready when we get there !! LOL we get them any time we go into the gulf even fishing cus sometimes it gets crazy in the Gulf
__________________

__________________
Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
Honduras

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Checking Bottom for Blisters KatKokomo Construction, Maintenance & Refit 6 10-12-2011 07:51
Advice on Best Route / Time - Honduras to Florida kcarrothers Atlantic & the Caribbean 3 16-11-2011 12:18
Want To Buy: Charts and Related to Sail from South Florida to Honduras - Also Garmin Chips captsam54 Classifieds Archive 0 22-10-2011 10:38
New Buyer Checking Boat History Russt1950 Dollars & Cents 2 26-09-2011 10:40
Selling a Chip for Gulf of Honduras catdance62 Navigation 0 18-08-2011 15:57



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 00:05.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.