Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2013, 17:39   #1

Best "Walkable" Live-Aboard Marinas+

Hi Everyone -

My searches on here have been coming up short - so your help will be much appreciated - so here goes:

Yup - you've got one of those people who always wanted to do this - but has still been weighing the options - so here's what's needed and what's needed to know...

What is the best "walk-able" marina anywhere in the US? (and I mean all 50 states - AK and HI included) ... I can work from anywhere (am not retired) ...just need a good high-speed wifi - (but let me not get ahead of myself as I have many requirements - so let me explain this "walk-able" thing first) What does "walk-able" mean to me? The following:

-Near everything - meaning restaurants, stores, public rail transit (if buses - okay but so long as everything else is available - but rail is ideal/optimal) - walk to town - or walk to a light-rail/subway etc. so I can get to everything else (like city-center, airport or where things are "happening").

A really good example is the the "Emeryville Marina" in the SF Bay area. If you look at it on Google maps - you can see how one can walk to anything - from Starbucks to Trader Joe's to Target to Men's Wearhouse (lol - hey still need clothes right?) to Best Buy ...plus BART rail. This is almost exactly as ideal a situation as you can have (plus tons and tons of other things). This makes living aboard not only completely self-sufficient and sustaining - but eliminates the need for any kind of vehicle - even a bike (as walking is my form of exercise).

So all of the above said, here's what else is needed:

-Looking for something for a 28-36 (give or take)' saildboat (am in the market to buy - havne't found anything yet - some stuff on Craigslist)
-Shower/Laundry facility
-WIFI
-Free to BBQ on onboard grill (some marinas prohibit this)
-Great community of folks who are friendly.
-won't be "years-long" waiting to get a slip (I'm open to trying to make offers to people who may want to sell there sailboat/slip)
There's more - but I'll post this now and then just edit/add later ...

Again folks any help with this would be great...thanks to all in advance

Best,

Johnnie
johnnie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 11:35   #2

Boat: 28 ft Intrepid, hull #13
Re: Best "Walkable" Live-Aboard Marinas+

My suggestion for the best "walkable", live-aboard marina as you describe is the City Marina at Dinner Key Harbor, Miami. (Coconut Grove). ... many fun times...
S/V Blondie-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 12:06   #3

Thanks S/V ... always wanted an excuse to check-out Miami. Had thought it was tough to get around though per my list of wants - but will take a look at your recco - thanks again!

J.
Old 21-01-2013, 14:14   #4

Check out Charleston, SC and St Augustine, FL, if you're willing to look at the US East coast.
Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper Life Afloat is having some formatting glitches, till then I'm posting at Life Afloat Archives and Life Afloat on Facebook! And a new project, The Monkey's Fist: Collecting Cruisers' Perspectives
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 14:54   #5

Heck yeah I'm willing - grew up on the East Coast - and have heard incredible things from other boaters about Charleston (though they didn't know about my criteria - was more about the town itself and the female population )

Will put both on the list to research... thanks much.
Old 21-01-2013, 15:04   #6

Boat: Pearson 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
Check out Charleston, SC and St Augustine, FL, if you're willing to look at the US East coast.
Very Nice Idea! Looking forward to visit the south next year. Right now our vessel is in Lewis, Del for the winter and will be back to sail it up in the spring. We just purchased boat Pearson 303 and ran into "Sandy" and decided to pull it out and not try to outrun her like Bounty tried to.
I see your sailboat and is beautiful. We will see you on FB or Blog??
Capt. Linda and Rob
CaptLinda6pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 15:14   #7

Boat: Hans Christian 33

Maybe check out St. Pete municipal marina.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 15:18   #8

Boat: Caliber 40LRC

How about Portland, Maine? DiMillos Marina.

Walk to trader joes, whole foods, dozens of bars restaurants, shops, chandlers. Low crims, great weather and some of the best cruising in the world right in your back yard.
TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 15:30   #9

Boat: Pearson 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
How about Portland, Maine? DiMillos Marina.

Walk to trader joes, whole foods, dozens of bars restaurants, shops, chandlers. Low crims, great weather and some of the best cruising in the world right in your back yard.
Your Right On there! Our home-base in Rockport, Me. To-die-fore sailing here too. Linda
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0347c.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	346.5 KB
ID:	53277  
CaptLinda6pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 03:28   #10

Hey thanks to everyone - you've given me a lot of great directions to go - am saving them all in a spreadsheet and will make notes/do more research... just have to put this plan into action! (on that note - I see far too many folks on this board in their 60's and later saying "I wish I had done what all of you are doing - but sooner")

...if anyone has more recco's - feel free ... let's keep this thread running.

Johnnie
Old 22-01-2013, 03:37   #11

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
Ahhh So many to chose from.. 1st would be Dinner Key in Coconut Grove in Miami. 2nd city Marina Charleston SC.
Ok so I listed two I'm over achiever.

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 04:00   #12
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

Not seeing the walkability of charleston. Pretty goodhaul to the pig from city marina carrying groceries. I stayed at both downtown and folly river. I second St pete. Publix is only 3 blocks away. Bus service is good as well as a couple of trolleys that run around downtown. Bike friendly with many bike lanes. I would add biking to walking. Sure expands your area. Beaufort SC is nice and boater friendly, then again the grocery store is miles not blocks away.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 04:27   #13

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Several marinas in downtown Baltimore's Inner Harbor area might work. Including trains to BWI airport... Check Active Captain for specifics...

-Chris
Old 22-01-2013, 04:27   #14

FSBO -

Thanks for the pov on Charleston ...that's the kinda' first-hand info I need. And adding a bike to the walk is fair (used to bike everywhere and haven't given it up yet) ... my point on walking is simply that one should be able to get to at least some sort of stores/restaurants without having to rely on any form of transportation other than your feet. The idea of a bike expanding on that is ideal - but completely relying on a bike to get to anywhere is one level outside what I'm looking for, if that makes sense.

Thanks again... (and yup - St. Pete's on the list) ...

Johnnie
Old 22-01-2013, 04:32   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Several marinas in downtown Baltimore's Inner Harbor area might work. Including trains to BWI airport... Check Active Captain for specifics...

-Chris
Chris - yup - used to live in Baltimore ... it fits the scope (almost: for some reason they have a lack of supermarkets downtown - but that was changing when I left) ... but B'more is a step backward for me ...also, would like to avoid anything south of Philly and North of NC though (mid-atlantic - just not my cup of tea)...NY would be incredible, but I've read other parts of the forum on trying to find anything live-aboard there being too expensive and too difficult...

Thanks either way.

Johnnie

Tags
marinas