Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2013, 04:52   #46
cruiser

Re: Best "Walkable" Live-Aboard Marinas+

Long Beach, CA Shoreline Marina. You can't beat the year round weather and it's close to everything.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 05:24   #47

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Personally, I would highly suggest not choosing a specific marina for a long-term stay before checking out the area or maybe staying for a month first. Find the right boat first, then cruise around checking out marinas and cities. What suits one wouldn't suit another. It sounds like you know, for example, that north of North Carolina there will be a "real" winter, with snow and ice, freezing temperatures, etc. Many marinas close for the winter. Some take all the docks out of the water. Prices are also very high north of the Chesapeake compared to say the Carolinas, Florida, or California. Newport, RI, fits the walkable city bill to a T, but it does have the cold winter problem. There's even a good supermarket within walking distance of the waterfront, great public transport, nearby major airport and Amtrak, a great boating community, etc. But, you pay for it.
Old 24-05-2013, 06:10   #48

I should add that cooking on a BBQ onboard while in a marina is probably prohibited at most marinas here in the East, and would be terribly inconsiderate even if it were safe enough to do so. Think of the issues: gasoline cans and tanks everywhere sparks might fly, propane ditto, wind might be blowing flames towards you or another boat, etc. Your grill smoke will likely be going right into someone else's boat. But, many marinas have an onshore public BBQ area.
Old 24-05-2013, 06:41   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
I should add that cooking on a BBQ onboard while in a marina is probably prohibited at most marinas here in the East, and would be terribly inconsiderate even if it were safe enough to do so. Think of the issues: gasoline cans and tanks everywhere sparks might fly, propane ditto, wind might be blowing flames towards you or another boat, etc. Your grill smoke will likely be going right into someone else's boat. But, many marinas have an onshore public BBQ area.
You have to be joking. Flames? Sparks? Sounds more like you're describing a funeral pyre than a BBQ.

I'm sorry, but your post is just insane.
tomtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 06:54   #50
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

"Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell
You have to be joking. Flames? Sparks? Sounds more like you're describing a funeral pyre than a BBQ.

I'm sorry, but your post is just insane."

sad to say, inmission bay, san diego, the fireworks that used to be done at the tourist place have been banned as the ash on the water offends those with money and no life....
bbqs have been tried to be banned in mission bay as the ash gets into the water...lol...not to mention the air quality diminishes with the use of flame and smoke to cook foods--i think many folks in sd have no lives and wish folks to also follow same track....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 06:56   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom View Post

Despite how tame your flames might be at your grill, it is common among almost all marinas to prohibit the use of outdoor grilling on board or on the docks.
Old 24-05-2013, 07:08   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
"Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell

I'm sorry, but your post is just insane."

sad to say, inmission bay, san diego, the fireworks that used to be done at the tourist place have been banned as the ash on the water offends those with money and no life....
bbqs have been tried to be banned in mission bay as the ash gets into the water...lol...not to mention the air quality diminishes with the use of flame and smoke to cook foods--i think many folks in sd have no lives and wish folks to also follow same track....
I agree with you 100%...
Old 24-05-2013, 07:13   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post

Despite how tame your flames might be at your grill, it is common among almost all marinas to prohibit the use of outdoor grilling on board or on the docks.
Grilling on the docks I can understand, especially if the are wood.

Unless you are the kind of person who can't get a grill lit without using an entire can of lighter, you have no business grilling in the first place. Out of control flames on BBQ should never occur, unless you don't have a clue what you are doing.
Old 24-05-2013, 07:44   #54

Boat: Nimble Artic 26
Re: Best "Walkable" Live-Aboard Marinas (Rockport Texas)

I was in Rockport Texas this weekend and was thinking it has a nice walkable marina in the Rockport harbor. There are clearly some folks who have had their boats there for a while. The surroundings are nice. Unfortunately the HEB grocery that used to be across the street has moved two miles north closer to Fulton.

Then I read the following in the boat slip fees for the Harbor:

Quote:
In addition to standard dockage fees, vessels up to 60 feet in LOA that are granted “liveaboard” authorization will pay, the higher of either: (A.) an additional $110 per month which includes water, trash dumpster use, use of the shower/laundry facility, OR (B.) a Liveaboard fee of $50.00 plus the metered cost of electricity used. The determination of the applicability of which fee schedule is most advantageous to the District and will be applied to an individual agreement will be made at the sole discretion of the Harbor Master.In addition to standard dockage fees, vessels over 60 feet in LOA will be required to pay an additional “liveaboard” fee to be determined prior to docking the vessel.
That coupled with a long trip to the deep water of the gulf from Rockport might mean this is better as a transient marina.
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 08:50   #55

Quote:

Yep, insane I guess.

Tags
marinas