Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-01-2013, 05:42   #16

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Re: Best "Walkable" Live-Aboard Marinas+

Waterside Marina in Norfolk VA is right in downtown, walking distance to dozens of restaurants and shops, with plenty of public transport.

Not sure what their policy is on liveaboards.

Old 22-01-2013, 06:50   #17

For Charleston, agree that the mega Charleston City marina isn't walkable (though they have a free shuttle to downtown & grocery stores), for walkable you might consider the Maritime Center Cruiser's Net » Archive » 26. Charleston Maritime Center

Linda and Rob - thanx for the compliments on the boat. We'll be doing our presentation on resources for cruising the ICW this Sept at the SSCA gam and then heading for Florida. See you online, and maybe on the water too!

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper Life Afloat is having some formatting glitches, till then I'm posting at Life Afloat Archives and Life Afloat on Facebook! And a new project, The Monkey's Fist: Collecting Cruisers' Perspectives
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 07:13   #18

Boat: Beneteau 57

We spent a week in Charleston on our way down the coast and loved it! Stayed at the City Dock, and while it was a fair walk into town/grocery store, if you are walker, you might not think so We walk everywhere & have a cart for groceries/heavy stuff-makes it easy...

The Marina there also has a free shuttle that will take you to and from West Marine, which is located in a plaza right beside a large grocery store-no walking or carrying needed!

Charleston is on our list for a much longer stay on the way up the coast!

Happy hunting-

-Laurie
s/v Mañana
blog We'll call it "Mañana"
Old 22-01-2013, 07:47   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Are you limiting yourself to the US?

You might consider France or the UK, which have a number of advantages.

In Poole, for example, the marina is right in the center of the city with dozens of restaurants, bars, shops, cinema, post office, chandlers, railway station within a 15 minutes walking radius. There is a Tesco directly across the street from the marina, so maybe 100 yards from your boat? Electricity included and cheaper than US marinas (although this is one of the most expensive marinas in the UK). Excellent WiFi, and various mobile phone plans let you call the US for about 9 cents a minute. Fantastic year-round sailing in the English Channel (if challenging). Heathrow airport 2 hours away by bus.

Weymouth similar, more atmospheric, cheaper, but the grocery store is further -- 15 minutes walk instead of 2 minutes.

France is even cheaper (about half the price for berthing), better food, hotter chicks, wilder coasts, but the French N Atlantic coasts are more remote in case you need an airport or a big city.

I don't know about France, but in the UK there are 0 boat taxes, and you pay no business or income tax on foreign sourced income as long as you are not tax resident there (to avoid VAT on a US flagged boat, however, you do have to leave the EU every 18 months).
Old 22-01-2013, 08:05   #20

Boat: Pearson 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
Waterside Marina in Norfolk VA is right in downtown, walking distance to dozens of restaurants and shops, with plenty of public transport.

Not sure what their policy is on liveaboards.
YES! Great place to visit and stay for a week or two. We stayed but can be noisy in town on weekends. Rates are good too:

Temporary Dockage (vessels less than 50') $5.00
Temporary Dockage (vessels 50' or greater) $10.00
Overnight Dockage $1.50/ft
Commercial Dockage $2.00/ft/night
Dinghy & Tender Dockage $3.00
Weekly Dockage (Based on availability) $1.30/ft
Winter Storage (Based on availability) $6.00/ft/month
Small 10 lb Ice $2.50
Large 16 lb Ice $3.50
Pump Out $5.00

Power
30 amp Free
Twin 30 & 50 amp $5
Twin 50 & 100 amp $10
Twin 100 amp $20

Can't beat the power though... LOL Linda
Old 22-01-2013, 09:05   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 46' custom cat

Santa Barbara qualifies. Laundry, grocery, train station all walkable. Free shuttle to downtown. Plus some of the best sailling and cruising in the world to be had in the Channel Islands.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have cookies.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 09:23   #22

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I agree about Santa Barbara but good luck getting a slip and the anchorage is a LONG dinghy ride from the docks.
Old 22-01-2013, 09:24   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Are you limiting yourself to the US?

You might consider France or the UK, which have a number of advantages.
OMG ...that is SUCH a wild and great idea - hadn't even thought of it as I'm still looking for a good sailboat - and my experience is so little the very notion of sailing over oceans is just out of the question right now. BUT - it sounds like you're saying one could buy a boat overseas and simply do the same thing - or am I wrong?

Either way - this has got me charged in a whole new way ...downside is the likelihood of me doing so, admittedly, is much less than doing it in the US - BUT people should still post world-wide "walkable marina" recco's right here regardless (maybe you admin guys could make it it's own category?) ...it would make such a great resource for us all.

Thanks Dockhead!

Johnnie
Old 22-01-2013, 09:27   #24

You got it right the first time. Alameda. Just gotta find a good slip tucked away and everything is close including facilities to do work or to work--9-5 job or not.....
Old 22-01-2013, 10:17   #25
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Skookum 53'

I have a few suggestions from the Alaska area. Sitka, Ketchikan, Kodiak. All of these marinas offer good slips, easy walking distance to town, in fact the towns kind of center around the harbors. Nice people, the rate for a 53' in Sitka is about 1200 per year, and they have wifi right in the harbor. I am not sure about Kodiak, and Ketchikan's wifi availability, in Kodiak they do have wifi in town so you probably can get signal at the docks. Sitka and Ketchikan have a good bit of rainfall, but nice people and bike friendly streets. Most everything is easy walking distance.
Old 22-01-2013, 10:28   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojanica View Post
You got it right the first time. Alameda. Just gotta find a good slip tucked away and everything is close including facilities to do work or to work--9-5 job or not.....
Loj ... "Alameda" where exactly? (not sure which post you're referring to )
Old 22-01-2013, 10:31   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
I have a few suggestions from the Alaska area.
Alaska would be a dream ...cold weather suits me fine (so long as my heater works!) ...that's the question though Cap'n ... do these marina's operate year-round?

Alaskan's are some of the best people I've ever met ...

J.
Old 22-01-2013, 10:40   #28
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Skookum 53'

Oh yes these are year round outfits and no ice in these harbors, you might get some thin ice in Kodiak if you get a cold snap for a couple of weeks, the 2 ports in SE AK usually stay between +20 ~ +40 F. in the winter and they actually get more sun in the winter than summer. I spent a couple of weeks in Ketchikan on the dock there in August and it ran into the 80s, the other good thing is plenty of good fishing and hunting just a short ways from port, that is true of all 3 of these ports. Ketchikan does get some cruise ship traffic in the summer.
Old 22-01-2013, 10:55   #29

BART is nowhere near the Emeryville Marina. Local bus transportation is much closer.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 11:04   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Oh yes these are year round outfits and no ice in these harbors, you might get some thin ice in Kodiak if you get a cold snap for a couple of weeks, the 2 ports in SE AK usually stay between +20 ~ +40 F. in the winter and they actually get more sun in the winter than summer. I spent a couple of weeks in Ketchikan on the dock there in August and it ran into the 80s, the other good thing is plenty of good fishing and hunting just a short ways from port, that is true of all 3 of these ports. Ketchikan does get some cruise ship traffic in the summer.
You guys have to get the word out with that kinda' weather!! (the idea about AK is frigid temps and iced-over docks like outta' the movies) ... that is too amazing. (jotting those 3 down on my spread sheet)

Thanks again ...

J.

Tags
marinas

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: