Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2011, 14:11   #76
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Best US Liveaboard Locations....

west fla has many really nice places--many havent any amenities. but the rent is good--i promised not to reveal their locales under threat of my ultimate demise--is too gorgeous to share with anyone.....who needs amenities when the place is such a real deal in rent!!!!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 08:31   #77

Boat: 1967 26ft Sailstar - Lillypad
Send a message via Skype™ to erinsavov

Hello,
Oriental, NC is an awesome live aboard place. The town is small but the boat population is huge. They have great marine supplies and an awesome resale shop.
Erin
S/V The Lillypad
erinsavov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 08:42   #78

I hate to share this secret but when your ready to go to the Caribbean then Culebra, Puerto Rico is ABSOLUTELY a liveaboard paradise. It's Free. However the downside is that there are NO marine facilities on the island, NO resale shops, etc. The upside is awesomely beautiful islands and lots of places to sail to.
Let me know if you need more information.
Erin
S/V The Lillypad
Old 22-04-2011, 09:22   #79

Oh avoid Kemah, TX at all cost. That place makes me ashamed to be a Texan as I've never been treated in such an unfriendly manner and not just at the marinas but at the shops too. Unbelievable.
Old 22-04-2011, 12:06   #80

Boat: Moody 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinsavov
Oh avoid Kemah, TX at all cost. That place makes me ashamed to be a Texan as I've never been treated in such an unfriendly manner and not just at the marinas but at the shops too. Unbelievable.
I find Kemah to be a very friendly place. Which marina are you referring to?
Sailorman375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 09:06   #81

Re: Worst US liveaboard locations....

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveaboardboat View Post
BEWARE Marker 1 Marina in Dunedin, FL (north of Tampa/St Pete.

This marina falsly advertises many amenities that absolutely do not exist...no ships store, no restaurant, no bar, no parking on weekends (must park a block and a half away and walk), no cable TV, no ships lounge, no hard wire phone service, generally no WiFi service unless you come up to the office, no slip side pump out, grossly unhelpful and unknowledgeable dock hands (don't expect any dock help when landing your boat in windy and/or unfavorable conditions) and never expect anyone to answer a VHF call on the radio, fuel storage tanks frequently run dry because they can't afford to refill the tanks, low tide access is frequently restricted to 3 ft because of the shoaling and boats in slips at minus tides are frequently sitting in the mud (can't operate your air conditioning/heating system without sucking mud into your pumps). Restrooms and showers (2 each for men and women) are miserable and are known to back up with raw sewage, only 1 washer and 1 dryer (old and inefficient) for the entire marina, and a 4% surcharge for using a credit card!

The bank has taken over the Marina and is desperately looking for a buyer. The management company has now invoked a staggering $250.00 a month liveaboard fee for a 3rd rate marina without providing the most basic level of marina standards
Maybe you're delusional. But there is a Ship's Store and the only amenity that's missing is the restaurant, which the bank is currently working on getting somebody in there. No marina has a hard wire phone service to your boat, so check facts before making accusations. Moreover, 99% of marinas in west central Florida charge a liveaboard fee due to the impact they have on the marina; i.e. use most of the water, pump outs, parking, carts, etc. And to get your facts right, it's not $250, it's only $175 for the liveaboard fee. Even the St.Pete Municipal Marina charges $175 and they have half the amenities, and they don't have a convenient location. Marker 1 Marina offers you the prime location with great access to the number one beaches and boating destinations. From my experience the dockhands and dockmaster are very knowledgeable about basic boat handling skills and are willing to help whenever needed. The restrooms are cleaned and checked twice a day, and are always clean, functional, and stocked. The bank did take over and is currently addressing the number one problem which is parking, and any other issue the valued customers of Marker 1 have. Moreover their fuel tanks have not been dry since the bank took over, because as we all know banks never runs out of money. They do in fact have a Ship's Lounge that has access to WiFi that is adjacent to the Ship's Store. There are always plenty of dock carts available and if there isn't you could always call for one of the dockhands to find one for you. As for the depth, Marker 1 is currently obtaining proper permits from all agencies to start the dredging process which takes cutting through a lot of red tape as we all know. If you would just address your problems through the proper channels and through diplomatic ways maybe your issues could be resolved instead of ranting and raving on a blog. If you are so unhappy with your experience at Marker 1 Marina and are still there, then why don't you leave?
boat4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 10:14   #82

Re: Worst US liveaboard locations....

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat4321 View Post
Maybe you're delusional. But there is a Ship's Store and the only amenity that's missing is the restaurant, which the bank is currently working on getting somebody in there. No marina has a hard wire phone service to your boat, so check facts before making accusations. Moreover, 99% of marinas in west central Florida charge a liveaboard fee due to the impact they have on the marina; i.e. use most of the water, pump outs, parking, carts, etc. And to get your facts right, it's not $250, it's only $175 for the liveaboard fee. Even the St.Pete Municipal Marina charges $175 and they have half the amenities, and they don't have a convenient location. Marker 1 Marina offers you the prime location with great access to the number one beaches and boating destinations. From my experience the dockhands and dockmaster are very knowledgeable about basic boat handling skills and are willing to help whenever needed. The restrooms are cleaned and checked twice a day, and are always clean, functional, and stocked. The bank did take over and is currently addressing the number one problem which is parking, and any other issue the valued customers of Marker 1 have. Moreover their fuel tanks have not been dry since the bank took over, because as we all know banks never runs out of money. They do in fact have a Ship's Lounge that has access to WiFi that is adjacent to the Ship's Store. There are always plenty of dock carts available and if there isn't you could always call for one of the dockhands to find one for you. As for the depth, Marker 1 is currently obtaining proper permits from all agencies to start the dredging process which takes cutting through a lot of red tape as we all know. If you would just address your problems through the proper channels and through diplomatic ways maybe your issues could be resolved instead of ranting and raving on a blog. If you are so unhappy with your experience at Marker 1 Marina and are still there, then why don't you leave?
Although I cannot comment about the benefits or lack of thereof at the Dunedin marina, I can tell you I couldn't think of a more conveniently located marina than the municipal marina in St. Pete. Then again, it is a matter of personal opinion.
dgasmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 10:19   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinsavov View Post
Hello,
Oriental, NC is an awesome live aboard place. The town is small but the boat population is huge. They have great marine supplies and an awesome resale shop.
Erin
S/V The Lillypad
My boat draws about 6 feet so are my choices limited in Oriental? Also how's the sailing and exploring on the Sound with that sort of draft?
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 17:04   #84

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

I have a great liveaboard area, in south Florida on the gulf side. Calusa Island Marina and tenis club. It is located in a small fishing village called Goodland. It is a short drive or bike ride (about a mile) into Marco Island. It is actually part of Marco Island. The Marina is a full service place that treats everyone well. It is cheap. I keep my boat there for $150.00 a month and can liveaboard for up to 6 months but no one keeps track. I pay for electricity and 15 bucks a month to be part of the club. and that's about it.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 17:10   #85
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

how deep the water ??????? i like the fee....might just like the marina for a minuet..LOL
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 17:31   #86

The water is reasonably deep. You may have to watch the tides if you are over 5 ft draft. There are a lot of big boats there, I draft 4.5 ft and have no problems almost anytime.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:28   #87
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
The water is reasonably deep.............
"Reasonably deep" on the Florida Gulf Coast is like "significant rainfall" in Arizona!
Old 04-05-2011, 02:41   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman
I have a great liveaboard area, in south Florida on the gulf side. Calusa Island Marina and tenis club. It is located in a small fishing village called Goodland. It is a short drive or bike ride (about a mile) into Marco Island. It is actually part of Marco Island. The Marina is a full service place that treats everyone well. It is cheap. I keep my boat there for $150.00 a month and can liveaboard for up to 6 months but no one keeps track. I pay for electricity and 15 bucks a month to be part of the club. and that's about it.
That sounds great. I am currently at the Fort Meyers Yacht Basin though nice it's a bit pricey. How are the other live aboards there?
Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:48   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD

To be totally honest, ladies and gentlemen, Captains and Crews....

I know PRECISELY what you mean, which is PRECISELY why I want to do this. Or, I should say, one of the major reasons I want to do it.

After 30+ years of working for the government, being in the military, playing the politics games and dealing on a day-to-day basis with people who have no business running ANYTHING, let alone our government, tax collecting or anything else... I'm interested in getting the hell out... soon.

JoAnne and I (my First Mate of 31+ years) have decided that retirement should not be "quitting" or "retiring" but moving on to a new adventure.

I'm tired of local governments trying to put things like "fees" on you for the amount of rain that falls out of the sky and on your property... that's called an illegal tax. Anyway, sorry to wax politically, but that's how I feel about it.

Kinda tired of a certain neighbor who calls the "local code enforcement" on me I get a weed in the yard or it gets over 4 inches or I forget to bring the trash can in one night. /sigh.
I coundn't agree more!
Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:15   #90

For those that want information on the Calusa Island Marina I would suggest that you go to there web sight, calusaislandmarina.com and check it out, I don't want to inadvertantly mislead anyone, I find the place very nice with many nice people, I keep my boat there, but I do not liveaboard. there are quite a few that do, Right now there are maybe half a dozen liveaboards but that number changes daily as some use there boats for a get aways and some for winter water front property. The one negitive to the area are the no seeums in the evening and morning. Also the slip that I am in is one of the cheapest because I am not on the floating dock, but the prices of the slips with floating docks is still reasonable, 175-250 per month.

Tags
liveaboard