Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 19:29   #16

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: Best type of boat for coastal cruiser liveaboard (power, sail, small, big?)

With all this wingeing about fuel costs, if you're in the US or Canada, other maintenance is more of an issue from my experience having lived and cruised aboard both... just my opinion. Besides, fuel costs appear to be dropping in the short and near term. Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 19:35   #17

If you know the area very well and are willing to adapt your schedule and destination to the currents and weather, it can be OK. If you've got any sort of schedule or a specific destination in mind it can be less than ideal sailing here....and during the warmer months it's much worse.

But it is one of the best cruising grounds in the world....lots of parks, can get unlimited stays at buoys for a bit over $100/year...I like it.

Not many efficient powerboats here for whatever reason. There were 2 Monterey Clippers for sale recently that fit the bill but they're priced pretty high for what they are. One of them is right down the street and in pretty lousy shape, asking $30k.
jm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:04   #18

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

We been a live a board for 17 years. In the PAW you need to max covered dry livable space and natural light. power boats offer more livable covered dry space and tend to have bigger windows. For a live a board basic comfort. heat, water, sanitation AC /DC. power boats refrigeration space is far more important than miles per gallon. Most boats under 30 and even 40 ft do not have the basics required for a live a board in the cold damp. PWN.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:30   #19

Some other thoughts to a classic issue:

1. Anchoring - a sailboat is much more stable than a powerboat in that size range because of the deep keel. I've been on powerboats (34 ft. Sea Ray) at anchor and they bob and twist. My 34 ft. sailboat simply doesn't. If you can handle that, fine.

2. Tradeoff is space.

3. MPG is a nonsense term for measuring fuel consumption, to me. GPH is much more realistic. A powerboat goes faster, so the GPH could be the same or better depending on the engine compared to distance and fuel used. My 21 hp diesel engine uses better than 0.5 gph, but it only goes 6 knots. You have to "Do the math" in any comparisons.

4. My F-I-L lives on Vancouver Island, so I know the area. You'll want/need a good heating system. Consider what is available for gas powered boats before you decide, although I'm sure they are there, I just am more familiar with diesel systems. Those can also use kerosene which would work on a gas engine boat. A sturdy electrical system for exptended anchoring is also required, many times not available on older powerboats. You'd have to design and install a good hefty electrical system if you bought an older powerboat, 'cuz the electrical systems were designed to marina hop, not anchor out for extended periods.

5. Lots of it depends on what you like and can live with. Having had experiences with both, you are the only person able to make that decision. All of our input is just icing on the cake.

6. Limited sailing that area due to the realityies of the weather.

Good luck on your choices.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:10   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Other than the romance (which wears off!) of living aboard a sailboat,...................
We've been living aboard our sailboat since the spring of 1972 and not had this wear off. I think you must be referring to cases with poor application or an inferior priming coat!

Still, I'm all for the power boats for those that they suit!
Old 04-11-2013, 09:52   #21

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Actually, Capt, the reason we moved from sail to power was our 49 foot ketch just became too much for my wife and I to handle alone in a blow so we moved to a similar sized power boat and never regretted the move. As long as we were on the water, we were happiest! Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:20   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Actually, Capt, the reason we moved from sail to power was our 49 foot ketch just became too much for my wife and I to handle alone in a blow so we moved to a similar sized power boat and never regretted the move. As long as we were on the water, we were happiest! Phil
Aha! So the "romance" doesn't wear off, it just moves to another boat! ...good choice!
Old 04-11-2013, 16:30   #23

Boat: Slocum 43

In your area, look for a Gulf 32. Might fit what you're looking for. Might be out of the price range though. Consider a Catalina 30 too. Older model is diesel, inexpensive, roomy and good sailors.
Pirate999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, liveaboard, sail