Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2012, 21:29   #1

Boat: Hunter 22
Best Tampa Bay area day trip and anchor outs

I am looking for suggestions for day trips and overnight anchor out locations sailing out of St Petersburg, FL.
chipjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2012, 04:32   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Best Tampa Bay area day trip and anchor outs

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Chip.

Guide to Anchorages in Southwest Florida
http://www.flseagrant.org/anchorage/..._inventory.php

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2012, 06:47   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipjackson View Post
I am looking for suggestions for day trips and overnight anchor out locations sailing out of St Petersburg, FL.
Firstly, welcome to the Forum.

Next, I suggest you click over to Activecaptain.com and register (it's free) and you'll be able to view all of the anchorages in the Tampa Bay area, and elsewhere, together with comments and reviews written by those that have been there/done that. Two of our favorite anchorages are at Desoto Point on the Manatee River and south of Jewfish Key just south of Longboat Pass. There are many others, of course. Good Luck...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2012, 07:24   #4

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 34

Jewfish Key on the north end of Longboat Key is my favorite in the area. Great holding, well protected, and two great restaurants with dinghy docks. Bird Key in Terra Ceia Bay is quite nice also but nothing shoreside.

Second the recommendation for Active Captain. Fantastic resource.
kmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 19:52   #5

Boat: Hunter 22

Thanks, I will check them out. I have looked around on Active Captain and it will be a good resource as well. Currently having the botton done and hope to get the boat in the water by Christmas and start exploring.
chipjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 21:08   #6

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
We enjoy crows nest in venice, marina , anclote and 3 rooker, (anchor out) anywhere along Bradenton river is fun for anchoring , enjoy spending time at twin dolphin marina. Depending on your draft Caladesi island is an interesting visit and nices beaches / sunset. They have a small but nice marina/ dockage with lots of nature trails. A wee bit further is Pine island area pelican bay at Cay Costa which is beautiful and protected anchorage.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 10:20   #7

Boat: Ericson sloop 28.5

I like the Getaway, south west side of the Gandy bridge...Bahia beach Marina, Ruskin, Apollo beach marina, Apollo beach,... Yes, Desoto point is nice, Jewfish key on the north end of Long boat is exceptional...be sure to have a good ancor or the tide drop with spin you around, outside of the Mar vista restaurant [which is fantastic place]...Hula Bay restaurant and marina South Tampa..I suggest planning to in and out at mean tide if possible depending on what you draw.
Infatuation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 14:19   #8

Boat: 2006 Leopard 40 sailing catamaran

Also check out www.cruisersnet.net Cabbage Key is a favorite of mine.
gohawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 10:56   #9

Here's a few I visit frequently.

- Beer Can Island (off Apollo Beach): Anchor on the east side of the island only. West side is shallow and get ship traffic wakes. Really nice over night during the week especially. Weekends get crazy during the day but around dusk it clears out. Lots of incosiderate jet skis. Good people watching via the binoculars. View to the east are industrial with the power plant. Anchor/chain always come up clean.

- Fantasy Island: About 4 miles north of Beer Can. Anchor on the north east side of the island. Much quieter than beer can but more industrial scenery. Good holding. Has a decent small beach on the north west corner. Very little boat traffic.

- Gulf Port: Nice dighy dock with access to bars/eateries. Decent holding and anchor/chain come up with sticky mud. Not much of a beach and I wouldn't swim here.

- Desoto Point: Rolly with boat traffic during the day but not too bad. Nice park with dinghy dock on the north side of the river. National monument on the south side with beach and nature trails. Visitors center has AC and some exibits. No bars/eateries within dinghy reasonable distance. You can leave dinghy on the beach and easily uber into town. Good holding Anchor/chain always come up clean.

- Egmont: Anchor on the south east side only. Depending on wind direction can be rolly or stinky from bird crap on the island. Lots of ruins and historic stuff on the island. Good holding Anchor/chain always come up clean. Anything south of the Tampa Bay Pilots building is bird sanctuary and no landing.

- Little Harbor/Simons Park area: Not an obvious anchorage but relatively well protected and rarely used. Basically a deep spot north of the marked channel protected by a large sand bar to the north. Nice unobstructed sun sets and dinghy access to sunset grill (formerly known as Bahia Beach).
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor